Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 19, 2020, 11:38:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2020, 11:26:19 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 19, 2020, 11:16:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2020, 10:31:24 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on December 19, 2020, 10:24:09 PM
The new variant in London 75% stronger then what was already there. They would need a good vaccine for it.

Hopefully it stays out of this island but with people travelling back for Christmas that's debatable

Did they not say it was more contiguous?

Yeah they did

Did they say it was 75% stronger, as in more lethal?

More contagious i think but not sure on strength or lethality

Typically, a virus will mutate to become more contagious and/or less lethal.

The simple evolutionary pressure is - if more people are running around not aware they have it - then they are more likely to pass it on than other variants.
i usse an speelchekor

FermGael

So basically the UK have known about this since September and are only letting the rest of the world know this weekend.
Sound bunch of lads ....
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Milltown Row2

Quote from: FermGael on December 20, 2020, 10:59:25 PM
So basically the UK have known about this since September and are only letting the rest of the world know this weekend.
Sound bunch of lads ....

Would explain so much, rotten to the core
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Complete shitshow! Brexit as well and yet a poll came out today showing the Tories are still the preferred party over there... it's one calamity after another how is this possible??

Eire90

Quote from: screenexile on December 21, 2020, 12:16:40 AM
Complete shitshow! Brexit as well and yet a poll came out today showing the Tories are still the preferred party over there... it's one calamity after another how is this possible??

internet social media conspiracy culture the alt right now have infiltrated all aspects of society also all the media has to do is call labour marxists England is a conservative country.

LCohen

Quote from: Hereiam on December 20, 2020, 09:05:29 PM
Do we get to call this the "Brit Flu" now.

Why would you do that?

Even Donald Trump would not be stupid enough to do that (I hope).

LCohen

Sound bunch of lads ....

Just not true.

UK will have questions to answer but it isn't as simple as you make out.

The world is alive to new mutations and has known about the existence of this mutation since at least April. The first recorded incidence of this variant in UK appears to have been identified in October from a sample taken in September.

The key is that at that stage is nothing is known about the different level of infectiousness of the new variant. The data on that is still emerging. When it does there will be questions of UK, Brazil, USA and Australia amongst others as to whether they had data that would allow any additional risk to be identified earlier. And it very much looks like there is an additional risk. Still unclear as to why there weren't earlier signs of this or why they were not identified.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: LCohen on December 21, 2020, 08:03:20 AM
Sound bunch of lads ....

Just not true.

Its a play on the typical assignment of blame on the Chinese...
i usse an speelchekor

FermGael

Sound bunch of lads ....

Just not true.

The world is alive to new mutations and has known about the existence of this mutation since at least April. The first recorded incidence of this variant in UK appears to have been identified in October from a sample taken in September.

The key is that at that stage is nothing is known about the different level of infectiousness of the new variant. The data on that is still emerging. When it does there will be questions of UK, Brazil, USA and Australia amongst others as to whether they had data that would allow any additional risk to be identified earlier. And it very much looks like there is an additional risk. Still unclear as to why there weren't earlier signs of this or why they were not identified.

Tell me what bit is not true.
When was it discovered ?
When did they inform the rest of Europe /World ?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 20, 2020, 08:00:58 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on December 20, 2020, 07:45:19 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 20, 2020, 07:35:49 PM
What's the big meeting about tonight?

If you ask me, I think they're gonna make the easing of restrictions one day now instead of the 5 days.
4 of the parties will want to stop flights from England immediately, same as down south. We all know which party will object. Expect a petition of concern.

Could be a long night.

Stopping flights ferry's should have been done from the start..

Containing it on an island would have enabled everyone to get back to work and a thriving economy.

Nah, sure why would you do that? If given the same problem in 5 years (god forbid) the same Cnuts would do the same thing

I'm fairly sure you were against tight restrictions early on?

trueblue1234

Quote from: FermGael on December 21, 2020, 09:45:18 AM
Sound bunch of lads ....

Just not true.

When was it discovered ?

I think the scientists only came last week with the news of how potentially dangerous the strain was. There's been 100's of variants some with no impact. So I think it takes time to build out the data on each strain and identify the risks.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Governments closing borders to the UK is just optics. It looks like they know what their doing. That they are on top of things. In reality Bulgaria, Switzerland or Hong Kong banning travel makes no difference.

trileacman

Sound bunch of lads ....

Just not true.

When was it discovered ?

The scientific community were informed of the mutation in September. Given it is was just one of 4,000 mutations currently known, no-one gave a flying shit, especially the media.

Since Boris decided to tell everyone this is a "supervirus" and the media like a good doomsday story it's only becoming relevant now.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on December 21, 2020, 09:49:21 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 20, 2020, 08:00:58 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on December 20, 2020, 07:45:19 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 20, 2020, 07:35:49 PM
What's the big meeting about tonight?

If you ask me, I think they're gonna make the easing of restrictions one day now instead of the 5 days.
4 of the parties will want to stop flights from England immediately, same as down south. We all know which party will object. Expect a petition of concern.

Could be a long night.

Stopping flights ferry's should have been done from the start..

Containing it on an island would have enabled everyone to get back to work and a thriving economy.

Nah, sure why would you do that? If given the same problem in 5 years (god forbid) the same Cnuts would do the same thing

I'm fairly sure you were against tight restrictions early on?

My first real contribution on it March the 3rd:

Seems like a lot of people in the media are very worried about their sick friends/family

Use common sense, if you've a sick member of your family who fits the description of people who are more likely to get the worst from this flu like virus  ;) (like my dad) then take the proper precautions, ensure they are self isolating or being looked after by someone who's taking the right precautions!

Other than that there isn't much you can do, heaven forbid it happen to a loved one but the panic stuff going on is nuts. You can only deal with it if it happens, before that just be sensible

At the start (around the early March) I said the governments wouldn't close down the ports or airports, and we should be using common sense. None other that Radiogaga was calling for complete lockdown, New Zealand style..

I was wrong to assume that at the time, changing my views on it very soon after this escalated in April and beyond. Better to change your mind that dig your heels in ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Quote from: trileacman on December 21, 2020, 10:38:25 AM
Sound bunch of lads ....

Just not true.

When was it discovered ?

The scientific community were informed of the mutation in September. Given it is was just one of 4,000 mutations currently known, no-one gave a flying shit, especially the media.

Since Boris decided to tell everyone this is a "supervirus" and the media like a good doomsday story it's only becoming relevant now.
That is about the height of it, he was trying to scare the complacency out of the Londoners and UK in general and it's taken on a bit of a life of it's own, hopefully only short term levels of over reaction.