China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 18, 2020, 02:24:01 PM
Who is everyones money on first to be caught breaking their own rules then flat out refusing to resign?

Providing there's no funerals SF should be alright

Sammy Wilson will undoubtably be caught doing something

Hoping Poots gets caught

And Stephen Nolan

New Year's Eve will be a huge test. Bed by 11!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 18, 2020, 02:30:35 PM
Who is everyones money on first to be caught breaking their own rules then flat out refusing to resign?

Hoping Poots gets caught

And Stephen Nolan

And home by half 11. Giggity.

armaghniac

Sweden introduces a rake of restrictions including masks.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1218/1185189-covid-world/

Coronavirus for slow learners.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 18, 2020, 02:30:35 PM

Hoping Poots gets caught

And Stephen Nolan

No big miss. I can't f**king stand New Year's Eve.

It is the biggest load of shite of the whole year.

6th sam

Quote from: trailer on December 18, 2020, 02:07:40 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on December 18, 2020, 12:54:37 PM
That's basically the height of it marty34, we can blame the governments all we want, and very few countries have coped well, but it's hard when people just ignore the guidance and restrictions. And that's what has happened in the 6 counties

Few countries have coped so badly would be a better way of putting it. The DUP and SF can tell their wee internet armies that it's all the publics fault if it makes them feel better about their handling of it but the reality is

Sammy Wilson told people not to wear a mask
Edwin Poots said it was Catholics who were spreading it
SF orgnaised a huge funeral and political rally in the middle of it
DUP vetoed restrictions put forward by Dept of health
Michelle O'Neill undermined the message at every chance, schools initially back in March and then blamed the DUP at every bother turnaround
The NHS has undergone huge cuts in NI administered by SF and the DUP and then as bad as that was they took 3 years off.

So excuse me when people say the public aren't following the rules it's a bit f**king rich. SF and the DUP aren't fit to run a bath and would do everyone a massive favour if they resigned their posts and let people who know what they're doing take over. The blame lies squarely at Stormont's door.

I'm not here to defend SF and Michelle O'Neill, however I do feel
It's typical clichéd lazy "Norn Iron" analysis to say "one's as bad as the other".
DUP are a party with views that are out of synch with most other parties in the "western world". Tbf to SF they tried hard to work in coalition with a party to which they are diametrically opposed. Then Martin Mcguinness , reCognised by many as a statesman , just had enough, and there was widespread respect and understanding for his decision to pull down the stormont executive. Then  Ironically , everybody else, none of whom ( including even the tories) could work with DUP , pilloried SF for not working with them. SF in government opposed the DUP stance on Covid ( which was shamefully politically driven) which has been proven disastrous, and now SF are criticised for opposing this view with the cliched cry "ones as bad as the other". Maybe it's because SF have a history which , understandably many find hard to stomach, but let's face it , few parties in Ireland are without controversy. SF have a lot of work to do to convince unionists and many nationalists , but at least most of their views are mainstream .
DUP approach has been proven wrong, SF rightly challenged this , and yet still we have the "ones as bad as the other " brigade letting the DUP dinosaurs off the hook.  The SDLP are currently leading this drive. Disappointing  for a party with a proud history who famously under John Hume, put party politics to one side for the greater good , linking in with Gerry Adam's to lead in ending the conflict here.
It's time for all parties North and South of the border to stand up to the DUP and isolate them. Many of their supporters only vote for them because they are the largest party, feeling they are best placed to secure the union. The other parties' blind antagonism towards SF totally buys in to the DUP narrative and keeps these DUP dinosaurs in power. Surely it behoves the other parties in Stormont and in Dáil Éirinn to unite against the DUP , and demand that we follow scientific advice. Those that rightly criticise SF for their health complacency on the day of Bobby Storey's funeral in June,( when numbers were low and remained so for nearly 3 months), would have more credibility if they challenged the daily arrogance of the DUP in ignoring scientific advice, and creating this dangerous surge in hospital admissions . This contrasts sharply with the South  where despite major political differences, all parties never seem to veer away from promoting the scientific advice. Are non-DUP parties prepared to put their differences aside to get rid of the influence of the DUP? Potentially we are nearly beyond this pandemic, through the vaccines, and we need to hammer home the scientific message over the next  2 months to minimise deaths. A mixed message now could be disastrous

GetOverTheBar

Schools open as normal in January.

Expect the lockdown to be extended now into February.

That will be the publics fault, again. What a ridiculous decision. If things are that bad in the NHS and things are that vital, why is ANYTHING that contributes, let alone a major driver allowed to proceed.

Waste of time. Will only push people away further.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 18, 2020, 09:22:00 PM

If particular districts have problems then they don't have to open all of them.

QuoteExpect the lockdown to be extended now into February.

If the rates fall low they can shorten it.

QuoteThat will be the publics fault, again. What a ridiculous decision. If things are that bad in the NHS and things are that vital, why is ANYTHING that contributes, let alone a major driver allowed to proceed.

Well you could blame the virus. But the public can stop it, if they chose to.

As for schools, actual scientists reckon kids get the virus outside school mostly
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6950e3.htm?s_cid=mm6950e3_w

imtommygunn

Apparently the methody outbreak was from an 18th birthday party.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on December 18, 2020, 09:47:40 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 18, 2020, 09:22:00 PM

If particular districts have problems then they don't have to open all of them.

QuoteExpect the lockdown to be extended now into February.

If the rates fall low they can shorten it.

QuoteThat will be the publics fault, again. What a ridiculous decision. If things are that bad in the NHS and things are that vital, why is ANYTHING that contributes, let alone a major driver allowed to proceed.

Well you could blame the virus. But the public can stop it, if they chose to.

As for schools, actual scientists reckon kids get the virus outside school mostly
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6950e3.htm?s_cid=mm6950e3_w

Does it matter where they get it?

By that stage they have it, then they mix, with possibly 20 upwards.

They go home to 20 families.

I don't know why you continue to defend schools when the summer proved the point.

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on December 18, 2020, 09:58:13 PM
Covid loves the social events. It's always Weddings, Christenings, Birthdays & House parties.

and funerals.

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on December 18, 2020, 10:01:25 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 18, 2020, 10:00:39 PM
Quote from: hardstation on December 18, 2020, 09:58:13 PM
Covid loves the social events. It's always Weddings, Christenings, Birthdays & House parties.

and funerals.
Yes, I missed that one.

Young people are cheek by jowl all day Monday to Friday for months and there's never a problem. Yet, they go to one 18th birthday and the whole thing goes to shite.

That's fairly odd, no?

Plenty of diseases spread at such parties that do not spread in the classroom.

marty34

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 18, 2020, 01:05:55 PM
That's basically the height of it marty34, we can blame the governments all we want, and very few countries have coped well, but it's hard when people just ignore the guidance and restrictions. And that's what has happened in the 6 counties

You could argue its the governments fault in all the countries that haven't done well. A sh*t show everywhere Covid-19 wasn't taken seriously. And that attitude is what flows down to the public.

But people have to take person responsibility also - this, the attitude of Stormont's a mess, therefore I can do what I like is a cop out.

People, who are adults, must front up and own it.  This carry- on of blaming everybody else doesn't wash with me.   

A very basic example, the amount of people I see in shops etc. without a mask is unreal - again the sense of entitlement is unreal. Why do I have to wear a mask, I couldn't care less type of attitude.

We can blame everybody else but the elephant in the room.

As I stated before, SF made a bad decision about the funeral earlier in the year and rightly got called out for it.  It was wrong and turned into a PR disaster for them. The main problem for me is the DUP,  mainly, in terms of Stormont.  I don't buy in to the usual "two sides as bad as each other".

There are 5 parties in there, it's been 4 V 1 in terms of supporting the health and medical people and following their advice but it's clearly the DUP who are not onside with it, for whatever reason.  Again, the UUP were 'siding' with London's plan earlier on but, as the year have went on, they've clearly wanting to follow the advice of the health professionals.  Why? For me, I believe that as this year has developed, in regards to planning, England, Scotland, Wales and the 6 counties have went 'their own way' as it's clearly not a one size fits all solution.

Regardless, let's nail this myth that Stormont is the problem in this case.  It has its problems but when it 4 V 1 up there, the problem lies with one party.

As stated, people have to take personal responsibility.

marty34

Quote from: 6th sam on December 18, 2020, 06:37:03 PM
Quote from: trailer on December 18, 2020, 02:07:40 PM

Few countries have coped so badly would be a better way of putting it. The DUP and SF can tell their wee internet armies that it's all the publics fault if it makes them feel better about their handling of it but the reality is

Sammy Wilson told people not to wear a mask
Edwin Poots said it was Catholics who were spreading it
SF orgnaised a huge funeral and political rally in the middle of it
DUP vetoed restrictions put forward by Dept of health
Michelle O'Neill undermined the message at every chance, schools initially back in March and then blamed the DUP at every bother turnaround
The NHS has undergone huge cuts in NI administered by SF and the DUP and then as bad as that was they took 3 years off.

So excuse me when people say the public aren't following the rules it's a bit f**king rich. SF and the DUP aren't fit to run a bath and would do everyone a massive favour if they resigned their posts and let people who know what they're doing take over. The blame lies squarely at Stormont's door.

I'm not here to defend SF and Michelle O'Neill, however I do feel
It's typical clichéd lazy "Norn Iron" analysis to say "one's as bad as the other".
DUP are a party with views that are out of synch with most other parties in the "western world". Tbf to SF they tried hard to work in coalition with a party to which they are diametrically opposed. Then Martin Mcguinness , reCognised by many as a statesman , just had enough, and there was widespread respect and understanding for his decision to pull down the stormont executive. Then  Ironically , everybody else, none of whom ( including even the tories) could work with DUP , pilloried SF for not working with them. SF in government opposed the DUP stance on Covid ( which was shamefully politically driven) which has been proven disastrous, and now SF are criticised for opposing this view with the cliched cry "ones as bad as the other". Maybe it's because SF have a history which , understandably many find hard to stomach, but let's face it , few parties in Ireland are without controversy. SF have a lot of work to do to convince unionists and many nationalists , but at least most of their views are mainstream .
DUP approach has been proven wrong, SF rightly challenged this , and yet still we have the "ones as bad as the other " brigade letting the DUP dinosaurs off the hook.  The SDLP are currently leading this drive. Disappointing  for a party with a proud history who famously under John Hume, put party politics to one side for the greater good , linking in with Gerry Adam's to lead in ending the conflict here.
It's time for all parties North and South of the border to stand up to the DUP and isolate them. Many of their supporters only vote for them because they are the largest party, feeling they are best placed to secure the union. The other parties' blind antagonism towards SF totally buys in to the DUP narrative and keeps these DUP dinosaurs in power. Surely it behoves the other parties in Stormont and in Dáil Éirinn to unite against the DUP , and demand that we follow scientific advice. Those that rightly criticise SF for their health complacency on the day of Bobby Storey's funeral in June,( when numbers were low and remained so for nearly 3 months), would have more credibility if they challenged the daily arrogance of the DUP in ignoring scientific advice, and creating this dangerous surge in hospital admissions . This contrasts sharply with the South  where despite major political differences, all parties never seem to veer away from promoting the scientific advice. Are non-DUP parties prepared to put their differences aside to get rid of the influence of the DUP? Potentially we are nearly beyond this pandemic, through the vaccines, and we need to hammer home the scientific message over the next  2 months to minimise deaths. A mixed message now could be disastrous

+1

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 18, 2020, 09:51:50 PM
Apparently the methody outbreak was from an 18th birthday party.

As I keep saying, personal responsibility but people on here keep blaming everything and everybody but the elephant in the room.

This party was as necessary as people queuing outside Primark etc.

Own it.

thewobbler

The UK is seemingly a mess (we read their papers, so it's easier to keep an eye on), the Republic is  on the rise, Germany in full lockdown, and Italy and Spain banning people from going anywhere.

Maybe sometime soon it will dawn on the anti-Stormont, anti-DUP, anti-Shinner brigade that the whole of Europe is a giant mess of hapless governments running scared, implementing measures that don't work, burying things they don't want people to know, and worst of all, copying each others' stupid "strategies" before seeing if they work.

That sanctimonious p***k Armagniac describing Sweden as "Covid for slow learners" kind of sums it up. Sweden is a mess. But so is everywhere. Stop point scoring and deeming elsewhere in Europe as a success.

——

As long as schools are open, and airports are open, then this isn't going away. f**k all your other government policies. If schools are open every other policy is just a giant game of pass the f**king parcel.

With this rudderless, pointless facade running riot, all I can say is thank  f**k most of us bat off Covid without blinking.