China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaney

Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 12:14:53 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on October 22, 2020, 11:37:58 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 10:17:13 AM
But this isn't the case

Even in the hypothetical event that there turned out to be no vaccine - and this seems very unlikely - there are effective strategies available, and there are countries that have already put them into practice and are successfully suppressing the virus while opening up their societies

From what I can make out you are proposing to lift all restrictions, with no suppression strategy

This is a right-wing American anarcho-capitalist talking point pushed by the likes of the Koch Brother(s)

The people proposing this are some of the worst people in the world

You are the person with all the questions to answer here because you are the person proposing that the population of Ireland and the population of the world becomes the subject of a grotesque experiment
Anarcho-capitalist talking point made me LOL (then google to try to figure out what it is).

I think you are giving people too much credit calling out fascists on multiple threads.  In this example people want to work to be able to pay their mortgage they don't have Mein Kampf in the drawer beside the bed.  I'd be interested in the make up of the jobs of the people on this board, what percentage have an income linked to the public sector and therefore have their income protected verses those that rely on a somewhat functioning economy and how strongly that influences their views.
I haven't accused any other posters of being a fascist on this thread, I think I've mentioned it once in relation to the Trump regime and in that context it's certianly accurate

Wobbler has certainly been very big on using the word on this thread however because he's running very low on arguments

Fulvio is getting in the act now too for the same reason

Quite instructive

Funny you mention people's jobs because a let it rip strategy is a surefire way to destroy jobs

I couldn't think of anything more entitled or elitist or classist than a let it rip strategy

Those posters who are pushing it should understand they are pushing an anti-worker, pro-big business right-wing American think tank narrative which would kill a hell of a lot of people

If that's what they believe, fine, they're entitled to do that, but at least be honest about whose interests it would be serving

Who is letting it rip - you are obsessed, letting folk live can be done in unison with protecting the most vulnerable, what's your profession?

sid waddell

Quote from: Seaney on October 22, 2020, 12:14:14 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 11:53:58 AM

Thanks for the insults, it's clear I've touched a raw nerve

But telling anyone who has sever reservations about the societal effects of repeated lockdowns they are Sociopaths is acceptable?
But I'm stating a very reasonable opinion which I think most people would agree with

You are pushing a let it rip strategy, that's the clear impression I'm getting of you anyway and you have done absolutely nothing to dispel that

You are proposing to just let many thousands of people die

That view is incredibly selfish

I think it's very fair to call that sociopathic

Angelo

But this isn't the case

Even in the hypothetical event that there turned out to be no vaccine - and this seems very unlikely - there are effective strategies available, and there are countries that have already put them into practice and are successfully suppressing the virus while opening up their societies

From what I can make out you are proposing to lift all restrictions, with no suppression strategy

This is a right-wing American anarcho-capitalist talking point pushed by the likes of the Koch Brother(s)

You are the person with all the questions to answer here because you are the person proposing that the population of Ireland and the population of the world becomes the subject of a grotesque experiment
Anarcho-capitalist talking point made me LOL (then google to try to figure out what it is).

I think you are giving people too much credit calling out fascists on multiple threads.  In this example people want to work to be able to pay their mortgage they don't have Mein Kampf in the drawer beside the bed.  I'd be interested in the make up of the jobs of the people on this board, what percentage have an income linked to the public sector and therefore have their income protected verses those that rely on a somewhat functioning economy and how strongly that influences their views.
I haven't accused any other posters of being a fascist on this thread, I think I've mentioned it once in relation to the Trump regime and in that context it's certianly accurate

Wobbler has certainly been very big on using the word on this thread however because he's running very low on arguments

Quite instructive

Funny you mention people's jobs because a let it rip strategy is a surefire way to destroy jobs

I couldn't think of anything more entitled or elitist or classist than a let it rip strategy

Those posters who are pushing it should understand they are pushing an anti-worker, pro-big business right-wing American think tank narrative which would kill a hell of a lot of people

If that's what they believe, fine, they're entitled to do that, but at least be honest about whose interests it would be serving

Who has mentioned letting it rip.

You're very good at twisting things people have said. Nobody has mentioned let it rip here.

We need to get on with our lives though, there are measures such as mask wearing, social distancing, limited capacities, hand hygiene and other measures which can help us get on with things.

Lockdowns have far more damaging widespread consequences on society than Covid. The chances of Covid killing fit and healthy people or causing long terms effects remains extremely remote. The chances of lockdown doing similar carry far more risk.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Seaney

Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 12:18:31 PM

But telling anyone who has sever reservations about the societal effects of repeated lockdowns they are Sociopaths is acceptable?
But I'm stating a very reasonable opinion which I think most people would agree with

You are pushing a let it rip strategy, that's the clear impression I'm getting of you anyway and you have done absolutely nothing to dispel that

Quote me where I said let it rip - please I only have 40 odd posts.

sid waddell

Quote from: Seaney on October 22, 2020, 12:17:16 PM
But this isn't the case

Quite instructive

Who is letting it rip - you are obsessed, letting folk live can be done in unison with protecting the most vulnerable, what's your profession?
Not without an effective suppression strategy - and you are not proposing an effective suppression strategy

Thanks for the childish rhetoric which doesn't advance your argument one iota

I'm under no obligation whatsoever to tell you what I do

Why on earth should I be?

sid waddell

Quote from: Seaney on October 22, 2020, 12:22:04 PM

Well here's your chance - tell us exactly what you are proposing - "let people live" is not a strategy, it's a meaningless slogan

Angelo

Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 12:22:19 PM
But this isn't the case

Quite instructive

Not without an effective suppression strategy - and you are not proposing an effective suppression strategy

Implementing lockdown as a suppression strategy does more harm on society than good.

Seaney

Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 12:23:22 PM

Well here's your chance - tell us exactly what you are proposing - "let people live" is not a strategy, it's a meaningless slogan

Quote me where I said let it rip!

sid waddell

Quote from: Angelo on October 22, 2020, 12:20:26 PM
But this isn't the case

Quite instructive

You're very good at twisting things people have said. Nobody has mentioned let it rip here.

We need to get on with our lives though, there are measures such as mask wearing, social distancing, limited capacities, hand hygiene and other measures which can help us get on with things.

Lockdowns have far more damaging widespread consequences on society than Covid. The chances of Covid killing fit and healthy people or causing long terms effects remains extremely remote. The chances of lockdown doing similar carry far more risk.
But what is deliberately letting the virus continue to increase in spread in perpetuity if not "let it rip"

What you are writing here is meaningless sloganeering

I realise that you're missing the pub but you need a higher level of argument than barstool sloganeering

Seaney

But this isn't the case

Quite instructive

Because if you in a cushy civil servants role sitting at home on full pay as you have no computer, it makes a hell of a difference, no wonder you can post so much drivel, I will ask one more time post where I said let it rip!

sid waddell

Quote from: Seaney on October 22, 2020, 12:24:24 PM

So you refuse to answer the question

That's not an argument

Seaney

Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 12:26:01 PM

But what is deliberately letting the virus continue to increase in spread in perpetuity if not "let it rip"

I realise that you're missing the pub but you need a higher level of argument than barstool sloganeering

You are covering yourself in glory with each post, the only person talking about let it rip is yourself.  ::)

Seaney

Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 12:27:01 PM
Quote from: Seaney on October 22, 2020, 12:24:24 PM

So you refuse to answer the question

That's not an argument

Tell you what lad, ill answer all your questions when you quote where I said let it rip.

sid waddell

Quote from: Seaney on October 22, 2020, 12:26:21 PM
But this isn't the case

Quite instructive

Because if you in a cushy civil servants role sitting at home on full pay as you have no computer, it makes a hell of a difference, no wonder you can post so much drivel, I will ask one more time post where I said let it rip!
Yet Angelo has posted a lot more than I have on this thread over the last while but you aren't asking him what he does because he agrees with you

Very strange

I couldn't care less what Angelo does though because I'm interested in the reality of the situation, not what people work at or do not work at

Your whole argument has been based on a let it rip strategy, you have said nothing to dispel that and when offered the chance to dispel it and put forward a strategy, you point blank refuse

Therefore it's perfectly reasonable to draw conclusions that you do indeed favour a let it rip scenario

In short, there's no reason at all to take you in any way seriously

Angelo

Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 12:26:01 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 22, 2020, 12:20:26 PM
But this isn't the case

Quite instructive

Let it rip is barstool sloganeering and that's what you're shouting about when nobody here has mentioned it other than you. You're contradicting itself.

It's not deliberately letting the virus continue, it's doing what is best for society. We take preventive measures in our daily lives, the hospitality sector cannot function as before, the entertainment sector cannot functions as before, the arts sector cannot function as before, workplaces cannot function as before, tourism cannot function as before. We made changes to all those everyday aspects of life.

We have measures in place such as hand hygiene, mask wearing, social distancing, limited capacities and gatherings to stop the spread, that is a suppression strategy.