China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2020, 03:19:44 PM
I think the point is that schools, like other workplaces will open with social distancing regulations in place. There is absolutely no objection to this from anyone in teaching as far as I can see. It may be pointed out that this would mean that they can only accommodate 50% of the pupils at any given time in the same way that bars & shops can only accommodate 50% of the customers they previously did.

I don't understand how this will mean that teachers won't be going back or that teachers will somehow be getting it handier. Far from it.

I don't see what sport returning has to do with school capacity limits any more than it has to do with limits on hospital visits, limits on cafe capacities, restrictions within offices, restrictions in places of worship.

There are limits & restrictions throughout society but seemingly the teaching unions are at fault for them being in schools. I don't understand that logic.

Why are sports different? I don't know. Armaghniac mentioned on another thread that perhaps it is because they are recreational and not workplaces so there isn't the same requirement for employers to ensure safety of their employees. Maybe that's the thinking but to single schools out for being out of sync with society for trying to comply with the government's social distancing guidelines is quite simply wrong.

Obvious answer here is that it has been scientifically proven that Covid 19 spreads much more easily in enclosed spaces ie inside.  The sports that have opened up are played outdoors. School is indoors with a big number in a relatively small space.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: lenny on June 18, 2020, 03:52:05 PM
Obvious answer here is that it has been scientifically proven that Covid 19 spreads much more easily in enclosed spaces ie inside.  The sports that have opened up are played outdoors. School is indoors with a big number in a relatively small space.

If that is the depth of their thinking then they are very stupid.

The differences between 30 people walking around in a park and 30 people on a football pitch competing for possession of the same football are profound and pertinent.
i usse an speelchekor

imtommygunn

Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2020, 03:19:44 PM
I think the point is that schools, like other workplaces will open with social distancing regulations in place. There is absolutely no objection to this from anyone in teaching as far as I can see. It may be pointed out that this would mean that they can only accommodate 50% of the pupils at any given time in the same way that bars & shops can only accommodate 50% of the customers they previously did.

I don't understand how this will mean that teachers won't be going back or that teachers will somehow be getting it handier. Far from it.

I don't see what sport returning has to do with school capacity limits any more than it has to do with limits on hospital visits, limits on cafe capacities, restrictions within offices, restrictions in places of worship.

There are limits & restrictions throughout society but seemingly the teaching unions are at fault for them being in schools. I don't understand that logic.

Why are sports different? I don't know. Armaghniac mentioned on another thread that perhaps it is because they are recreational and not workplaces so there isn't the same requirement for employers to ensure safety of their employees. Maybe that's the thinking but to single schools out for being out of sync with society for trying to comply with the government's social distancing guidelines is quite simply wrong.

Absolutely bang on with schools.How anyone can compare a school to a bar or restaurant as well I don't know.

I also don't quite know why sports are seen as different.

Taylor

Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2020, 04:01:56 PM
Or of course why games are allowed to commence before people are allowed to congregate indoors (even with social distancing in place).

It seems to be a logic they're running with, flawed or not.

Absolutely agree.

How they can decide on this date there is no contact yet the following day it is full contact is baffling.

I understand the PL is different with regular tests but some amateur club players wouldnt have a test....ever

trailer

Quote from: God14 on June 18, 2020, 02:35:36 PM
Almost 45% of positive tests in June, in the North, occurred in an area which is occupied by 8% of the population

Something surely up here?

Probably a care home. (And no, I'm not being smart)

HiMucker

Anybody able to recommend a credible anti body test? Seems to be quite a few on the market and don't want to be shelling out for an unreliable one.

johnnycool

Quote from: HiMucker on June 19, 2020, 09:44:48 AM
Anybody able to recommend a credible anti body test? Seems to be quite a few on the market and don't want to be shelling out for an unreliable one.

What's that going to tell you?

HiMucker

Quote from: johnnycool on June 19, 2020, 10:17:41 AM

If you had it

Milltown Row2

Been in work all week preparing the place for officially opening on Monday

Having looked at our procedures for infection control I'm confident that we are covering everything (I hope)

Apron, gloves, mask, face-shield, desk shields, disinfection wipes/sprays and sanitisers and continual washing hands at our sinks, that side of things are covered.

We've also questions for all of our patients in relation to their current health, and staggered appointments to allow us to wipe down each room before and after they leave.

Appointments only, no waiting and no walk in hours like before!

There is I'm sure other stuff I've left out, but did a run through yesterday and today, the new normal is going to take time to adjust to, how pubs and cafes and the like will get to a standard of safety needed or required is beyond me!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: HiMucker on June 19, 2020, 11:29:19 AM

If you had it
And then what?

Taylor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 19, 2020, 11:49:58 AM

Having looked at our procedures for infection control I'm confident that we are covering everything (I hope)

Apron, gloves, mask, face-shield, desk shields, disinfection wipes/sprays and sanitisers and continual washing hands at our sinks, that side of things are covered.

We've also questions for all of our patients in relation to their current health, and staggered appointments to allow us to wipe down each room before and after they leave.

There is I'm sure other stuff I've left out, but did a run through yesterday and today, the new normal is going to take time to adjust to, how pubs and cafes and the like will get to a standard of safety needed or required is beyond me!

I can see cafe handling it ok - changes surely but they will be fine.

Pubs on the other hand will be a mess after a few men/women get liquor down their throat

Kidder81

#Ad

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on June 19, 2020, 11:56:03 AM

I can see cafe handling it ok - changes surely but they will be fine.

Pubs on the other hand will be a mess after a few men/women get liquor down their throat

I've been in town this week and cafes that have outside space are open and serving away, I would say they could tighten things up a bit but I suppose these things will need to be worked on before getting it completely spot on!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

HiMucker

Quote from: johnnycool on June 19, 2020, 11:53:29 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on June 19, 2020, 11:29:19 AM

If you had it
And then what?
Nothing. Just curious and a bit of peace of mind if it was positive, that you already had it, and have some anitbodies against it to help with a possible second infection. And even if the antibodies dont last, that your likely to deal with a reinfection relatively ok*. Its for the wife, and I know everybody and their granny is coming out with this, but Id be shocked if she hasn't already got it given the range of bizarre symptoms she had. If you deem that a waste of money, I have no arguments, I have wasted money on a lot worse, just pure curiosity mostly by her. If it came back positive Id be tempted to get one for myself as I showed no symptoms, we decided that isolation from each other in the house was just impractical given we had 3 young kids.

* I know there is a lot more research to be done on this, but evidence thus far on why some people get a really bad dose and others mild could be down to genetics as well as other factors like underlying health conditions etc.

armaghniac

Are you providing facilities for customers to wash their hands? This is one aspect of things that I think has been overlooked, everyone is told to wash their hands but nobody is required to provide facilities for same.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B