Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

No they haven't
Everyone knew they were symptoms except the uk advisors
They were officially added to the list this morning

five points

Quote from: J70 on May 18, 2020, 12:32:25 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 18, 2020, 12:30:55 PM
Trailer knows his stuff. Like he says don't believe these scientists advising the uk government
Now after 8 weeks they add that a loss of smell and taste is added the the Covid symptoms
You actually could not make it up
They have come out of this very poorly

The loss of smell and taste has been a confirmed symptom for two months.

No mention of loss of taste on HSE Symptoms of coronavirus guidance, Last updated: 7 May 2020
Loss of smell only mentioned as if as an afterthought in comparison to hayfever. It is not included in the list of common symptoms.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/symptoms.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw5Ij2BRBdEiwA0Frc9RshOYwTXFvBGTR8Z7vPRldykqdVL_VeXuZkQ8jWLYUOG1mjIrePiRoC6GAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

J70

Quote from: five points on May 18, 2020, 12:39:09 PM
Trailer knows his stuff. Like he says don't believe these scientists advising the uk government
Now after 8 weeks they add that a loss of smell and taste is added the the Covid symptoms

No mention of loss of taste on HSE Symptoms of coronavirus guidance, Last updated: 7 May 2020
Loss of smell only mentioned as if as an afterthought in comparison to hayfever. It is not included in the list of common symptoms.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/symptoms.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw5Ij2BRBdEiwA0Frc9RshOYwTXFvBGTR8Z7vPRldykqdVL_VeXuZkQ8jWLYUOG1mjIrePiRoC6GAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its been an acknowledged and well advertised symptom in the US since March. CDC put it on their updated list of symptoms in April. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

I don't know what the HSE are up to if they missed something so basic as that for their guidance.

Rossfan

Why don't we ask Karen or Tracy?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: J70 on May 18, 2020, 01:07:45 PM
Quote from: five points on May 18, 2020, 12:39:09 PM

Its been an acknowledged and well advertised symptom in the US since March. CDC put it on their updated list of symptoms in April. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

I don't know what the HSE are up to if they missed something so basic as that for their guidance.

Ditto the NHS.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-52638382

laoislad

Rossfan is obsessed with Karen.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Taylor

Quote from: laoislad on May 18, 2020, 01:14:44 PM
Rossfan is obsessed with Karen.

In fairness she seems to be the font of all knowledge for some posters here

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2020, 01:13:56 PM

Says you with 16200 posts. Not like you're short of an opinion.

trueblue1234

Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2020, 01:26:12 PM

15,467 posts mention karen
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 18, 2020, 01:34:43 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2020, 01:26:12 PM

15,467 posts mention karen

I know. The man's not wise.

Smurfy123

Rossfan trying to be funny with the Karen joke
Jesus let it go man

Rossfan

I'm torn between Karen, Smurfy and Trailer as to which can worst guide me through this pandemic.
Meanwhile I'll follow the HSE/Dept of Health advice.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2020, 02:28:30 PM
I'm torn between Karen, Smurfy and Trailer as to which can worst guide me through this pandemic.
Meanwhile I'll follow the HSE/Dept of Health advice.

You sound like you're deadly craic.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smokin Joe on May 18, 2020, 11:33:13 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 18, 2020, 10:28:47 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 18, 2020, 10:25:03 AM
Yes I would be happy with my kids going to school
When they go outside for a cycle do I worry? Yes I do. Do I stop them. No I don't
Lads it 2 classes of say 60 kids in total of a school that can hold say 300 people
If it was all kids back in together then I would say that madness

So that's a no then? Kids don't transfer the virus? My wife is a teacher, goes to school and she is safe from contracting the virus from school kids? Can you put up a link for that? And not a post from Karen on FB please?

This isn't by Karen from FB, but instead is a series of tweets by an Epidemiologist, quoting several studies:

Summary: there is mounting evidence that children are as likely to be infected as adults; some children can experience severe illness.
First, a recap. Studies in this sub-thread provide evidence that some children can experience severe disease, can shed infectious virus, can likely infect others, and for the effectiveness of school closures.
There is growing evidence that children and adults are at equal risk of infection with the novel coronavirus. Some studies which have suggested otherwise have some important caveats.
This study from China found that children were less likely to be infected than adults in households. However, all household members were promptly quarantined away from their home when a case was detected.
In contrast, more recent studies show that in the absence of strict quarantine measures, children and adults seem to be at a similar risk.
Data from China showing no difference in the proportion of children and adults infected with the novel coronavirus.
Data from Switzerland showing no difference in the proportion of children and adults infected with the novel coronavirus.
Data from Germany showing no difference in the proportion of children and adults infected with the novel coronavirus.
Data from the UK showing no difference in the proportion of children and adults infected with the novel coronavirus.
We have also witnessed the emergence of a new Kawasaki-like illness (now called paediatric inflammatory multisystem syndrome - #PIMS) in children.
Data from the UK show that the Kawasaki-like illness affecting children likely results from infection with the novel coronavirus.
The incidence of Kawasaki-like illness in children has increased 30-fold in Bergamo, Italy.
It's very important to note that this syndrome appears to be rare. However, it does show that we don't yet fully understand all of the risks associated with the novel coronavirus.
While it now seems likely that children and adults are at equal risk of infection with the novel coronavirus, we don't yet know how readily children transmit the virus to others. Previous research (linked to at the start of this thread) has shown this is possible however.
In regions where there is ongoing community transmission of the novel coronavirus, the evidence suggests that reopening schools could increase the spread of the virus, both in the school and the wider community.
It would therefore seem sensible to first ascertain that the risk of community transmission is low (for example, by random testing of the population), before considering reopening schools.
If schools reopen in regions with a low risk of community transmission, measures should be taken to protect teachers and students. This could include wearing masks, rearranged seating, increased ventilation, and staggering of classes.

The thread can be seen here:
https://twitter.com/DrZoeHyde/status/1261576137358012417

So at this point I'm waiting on smurfy to say you are full of shit.

Also someone was trying to equate working in a shop where limited numbers in place safe distance markers in place screens up and other safe measures in place to 30 kids in a small room all day with a teacher trying to self isolate kids and teach them.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smurfy123

Certainly not 30 kids in the one classroom. They would be split. A school would have better measures in place than a shop. Have u been in a shop lately