China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on April 14, 2020, 10:52:45 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 14, 2020, 09:48:35 AM
ONS have stitched on another 2000 deaths in England and Wales on top of those announced by the government (to 3rd Apr).

Just trying to get figures from the BBC website (which is an exercise in itself)

Main Blog
Of the 406 deaths involving Covid-19 in England and Wales registered in the year up to April 3, that occurred outside hospitals:

217 took place in care homes
33 in hospices
136 in homes
3 in other communal establishments, and
17 elsewhere

Is there more splitting going on or where is the 2000 coming from?

Edit - 10% of the total deaths at any stage..
Try this.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/causesofdeath/articles/comparisonofweeklydeathoccurrencesinenglandandwales/uptoweekending3april2020

HiMucker

What was death figures for the same period last year?

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 14, 2020, 12:03:19 PM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on April 14, 2020, 10:52:45 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 14, 2020, 09:48:35 AM
ONS have stitched on another 2000 deaths in England and Wales on top of those announced by the government (to 3rd Apr).

Just trying to get figures from the BBC website (which is an exercise in itself)

Main Blog
Of the 406 deaths involving Covid-19 in England and Wales registered in the year up to April 3, that occurred outside hospitals:

217 took place in care homes
33 in hospices
136 in homes
3 in other communal establishments, and
17 elsewhere

Is there more splitting going on or where is the 2000 coming from?

Edit - 10% of the total deaths at any stage..
Try this.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/causesofdeath/articles/comparisonofweeklydeathoccurrencesinenglandandwales/uptoweekending3april2020

Thanks, thats a great summary. One more question - so the 2000 odd include suspected cases as mentioned on a death cert and the 406 are definite cases?.

Milltown Row2

The figures will all come out properly at the end, this isn't China or Russia or North Korea. As bad as the Brits have been you can't hide this
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Two of the largest providers of care homes in the UK have revealed the deaths of 521 residents from coronavirus in recent weeks, in the clearest sign yet of the rising scale of fatalities outside the NHS which have not been officially announced.

HC-One, which operates about 350 homes, said that as of 8pm on Monday there had been 311 deaths from confirmed or suspected Covid-19, with outbreaks in two thirds of its homes. MHA, a charitable operator, said there have been 210 deaths across 131 homes, with outbreaks in about half of its homes.

That is only two care providers !

Ambrose

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 12:39:48 PM
The figures will all come out properly at the end, this isn't China or Russia or North Korea. As bad as the Brits have been you can't hide this

They'll find a way, they always do. Then there will be an enquiry and the British public will be told lessons have been learned, etc, etc. By the time the full story emerges we'll have moved on to the next scandal and cover up. We've been here before unfortunately.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2020, 09:47:14 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2020, 09:39:10 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2020, 09:26:52 PM
There were stories doing the rounds in Italy and Spain that there were old peoples homes where the staff just legged it and the army had to come in. How true that is I don't know but you could well believe it

There is some truth to that. But staff in these places had little or no PPE, a lot of them came down with the virus and had to isolate, so things became increasingly impossible for those left. In most cases they didn't just leg it, but had been calling for help for many days. These types of homes are a real point of vulnerability and places that have kept the deaths down have had a plan for such places.

How could you plan for this? I never heard one expert on here discuss it other that the SARS, Bird flu and other virus attacks which were not global to this extent.

Unfortunately it takes something like this to change mindsets. Everyone,  every country it seems was caught out

There were plenty of people *on this thread* talking about early stage mitigation procedures which could and should have been put in place to minimise the effect of this on people.  Personally, I feel that the decisions taken by businesses and the GAA in the north were influenced by people of this ilk in the wider community and very definitely helped things by their early actions.

Experts *on this thread* were telling those people to shut up because they didn't like what they were hearing and "there's nothing we can do about it so we may as well just let it play out".

Those "experts" include you.   ::)

Captain Obvious

Quote from: delgany on April 14, 2020, 12:59:21 PM
Two of the largest providers of care homes in the UK have revealed the deaths of 521 residents from coronavirus in recent weeks, in the clearest sign yet of the rising scale of fatalities outside the NHS which have not been officially announced.

HC-One, which operates about 350 homes, said that as of 8pm on Monday there had been 311 deaths from confirmed or suspected Covid-19, with outbreaks in two thirds of its homes. MHA, a charitable operator, said there have been 210 deaths across 131 homes, with outbreaks in about half of its homes.

That is only two care providers !
Wouldn't surprise me if the UK have the highest death count in Europe right now.

J70

Quote from: HiMucker on April 14, 2020, 12:23:44 PM

Can't speak to Britain, but in NYC, the reported deaths from COVID have been five times the normal background rate.

And that is officially acknowledged as likely an undercount.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on April 14, 2020, 01:20:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2020, 09:47:14 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2020, 09:39:10 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2020, 09:26:52 PM
There were stories doing the rounds in Italy and Spain that there were old peoples homes where the staff just legged it and the army had to come in. How true that is I don't know but you could well believe it

There is some truth to that. But staff in these places had little or no PPE, a lot of them came down with the virus and had to isolate, so things became increasingly impossible for those left. In most cases they didn't just leg it, but had been calling for help for many days. These types of homes are a real point of vulnerability and places that have kept the deaths down have had a plan for such places.

How could you plan for this? I never heard one expert on here discuss it other that the SARS, Bird flu and other virus attacks which were not global to this extent.

Unfortunately it takes something like this to change mindsets. Everyone,  every country it seems was caught out

There were plenty of people *on this thread* talking about early stage mitigation procedures which could and should have been have been put in place to minimise the effect of this on people.  Personally, I feel that the decisions taken by businesses and the GAA in the north were influenced by people of this ilk in the wider community and very definitely helped things by their early actions.

Experts *on this thread* were telling those people to shut up because they didn't like what they were hearing and "there's nothing we can do about it so we may as well just let it play out".

Those "experts" include you.   ::)

Take your hard on for me elsewhere, I'm not into that ;)

I'm talking about long before that. not a week or two into this, as no one thought it would spread like it did.

I put a thread up on experts, to gauge who would actually know what they were talking about rather than trailing things of Wiki or Google, letting things play out I'm nearly sure I said for Brexit after it was voted, its going to be a lot worse after this, but I'd that's the least of the economies worries.

But sure just keep rowing in behind my posts every so often ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: HiMucker on April 14, 2020, 12:23:44 PM

From 2010 - 2019 the highest weekly deaths in England and Wales for Week 14 of the year was about 12k. The lowest for the same period was 8k. Week 14 of 2020 is 16k.

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1250007002165755905/photo/1

Milltown Row2

A friend of mine has 3 or 4 care homes, was speaking to his wife this morning while out walking the dogs,  he stopped visits very early on, early than recommended, to date no deaths in any of his places due to Covid. He's struggling with care assistants in terms of getting them in and as she said, can you blame them?

She and their three daughters have been in helping out to cover staff shortages, the staff must shower and change before leaving and obviously self isolate and be honest with management to what they are doing outside of work. All disposable clothes too

She was saying there are other places where the staff have moved into the care home! Some commitment there.

The other thing she mentioned was the people in the homes are starting to go a bit stare crazy, routines have been ripped up and as much as the staff try all they want to do us see their family and if this is their last part of their lives then they'd be happy to just see them. Very sad

five points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 02:18:55 PM
The other thing she mentioned was the people in the homes are starting to go a bit stare crazy, routines have been ripped up and as much as the staff try all they want to do us see their family and if this is their last part of their lives then they'd be happy to just see them. Very sad

Very sad indeed.

Same is becoming increasingly true for over-70s living alone who have been cocooned for weeks on end now with the prospect of many more weeks to come. Not everyone will be resilient enough to cope with this.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: five points on April 14, 2020, 02:21:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 02:18:55 PM

Very sad indeed.

Same is becoming increasingly true for over-70s living alone who have been cocooned for weeks on end now with the prospect of many more weeks to come. Not everyone will be resilient enough to cope with this.

Personally I'd ask my mum or dad or the in-laws to move in if one of them were on their own.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 01:40:11 PMas no one thought it would spread like it did.

Are you for real?

Why do you think I was so exasperated in February?

Pardon me for understanding what a f**king exponential curve looks like.

[What I've posted here is extremely mild compared to what I've posted elsewhere.]

Government have f**ked up and their academic advisers just remind you of the saying - "Those who can, do. Those who can't, talk about it." Bunch of clowns living in theoretical dream-worlds without a pragmatic bone in their bodies.
i usse an speelchekor