China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2020, 11:28:27 AM
He said he's promised to fix it, lets see how many nurses are qualified in the next 3/4 years and I'll agree, the tories are c***ts but thats a different matter entirely  ;D

Sorry, stop.

Did you hear how he promised to "fix it"?

We have X nurses retiring every year.

So I'm going to stop them leaving, and call that an increase in numbers.

So see those 50,000 new nurses? Nah, there will actually only be around 5,000 more nurses than now, its just we aren't at 45,000 less nurses.
i usse an speelchekor

whitegoodman

The pubs and restaurants need to close but are the government going to help the owners of these places to pay their mortgages and pay their staff ?

Is Italy paying people to not go to work ?  People's health is priority but if they have no income to provide for their family this will become as big a problem.  If it is for a few wks people will get by but if it goes on for months then that will be a bigger issue

RadioGAAGAA

Its gonna be 12 months absolute minimum, 18-24 months more likely and 36 months max.
i usse an speelchekor

dublin7

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 14, 2020, 08:31:51 PM
The pubs and restaurants need to close but are the government going to help the owners of these places to pay their mortgages and pay their staff ?

Is Italy paying people to not go to work ?  People's health is priority but if they have no income to provide for their family this will become as big a problem.  If it is for a few wks people will get by but if it goes on for months then that will be a bigger issue

This is a huge issue. Pubs, restaurants have rent, wages to pay, but if they close were do they find the cash from?

Same applies to employees. If their office closes all they are entitled to is social welfare. How are people supposed to meet mortgages, rent, food bills etc when their pay is slashed through know fault of their own

larryin89

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 14, 2020, 08:34:12 PM
Its gonna be 12 months absolute minimum, 18-24 months more likely and 36 months max.

For a start there will be a vaccine in 12-18 months , never heard it will last three years anywhere only from your good self
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: larryin89 on March 14, 2020, 08:37:49 PM

For a start there will be a vaccine in 12-18 months , never heard it will last three years anywhere only from your good self

There will not be a vaccine in 12 months.

If there is a vaccine in 18 months, it will be by a distance the fastest vaccine ever created. Double that and I feel that a vaccine should definitely be available. Hence 36.

Please pay attention to exactly what is being said when people throw those numbers around.
i usse an speelchekor

Itchy

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 14, 2020, 08:43:47 PM

If there is a vaccine in 18 months, it will be by a distance the fastest vaccine ever created. Double that and I feel that a vaccine should definitely be available. Hence 36.

Please pay attention to exactly what is being said when people throw those numbers around.

I'd say it depends if they can leverage of any other vaccines for similar virus's. It also depends how much of a shit show this is and whether it might be released as an "experimental" vaccine due to the urgency required.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 14, 2020, 08:29:02 PM
He said he's promised to fix it, lets see how many nurses are qualified in the next 3/4 years and I'll agree, the tories are c***ts but thats a different matter entirely  ;D

Sorry, stop.

So see those 50,000 new nurses? Nah, there will actually only be around 5,000 more nurses than now, its just we aren't at 45,000 less nurses.

Why listen to the news when all I need to know is right here
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

larryin89

[/https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/researchers-rush-to-start-moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-without-usual-animal-testing/

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2020, 08:53:36 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 14, 2020, 08:29:02 PM

Sorry, stop.

Why listen to the news when all I need to know is right here

Yeah. Some of my best friends are doctors , and good ones at that, and definitely their perspective is very different from what a few on here think.

I saw a good tweet from a doctor saying the best thing you could do is stop reading about it on social media.

It is very bad and there are legs in yet. I can see that board members medical health thread having one or two stories too but there is some nonsense pedalled too.

omagh_gael

The virus itself is petrifying but a major worry for me are all those people who lose their income at one time. We've never experienced such a widespread loss of income in our life time. How long before social disorder kicks in? What happens to landlords looking rent? Renters unable to pay landlords etc etc etc

We are all typing on smart devices powered by a global data system that needs power. How far might this thing go in disrupting all aspects of life as we know it?

LeoMc

Quote from: Itchy on March 14, 2020, 04:57:06 PM
Quote from: Joeythelips on March 14, 2020, 04:48:35 PM
The Dutch have discovered an antibody that works apparently but it has to be properly tested and mass produced which will take the guts of a year, byt which time this pandemic will have run its course. Herd immunity will happen by that stage, that where 80% of the population will have got the virus and there bodies will have dealt with it and given them immunity from future infection. However that means there will be a lot more deaths to come Im afraid.

Sound. You might just tells what evidence there is to support this herd immunity theory and any real world examples where it worked before.
Does it not work for measles, mumps, Etc, as well as small pox in the past?
Herd immunity does not mean no one gets it, just that enough people are immune to stop it spreading rapidly.

armaghniac

If there ever was going to be a vaccine created quickly then this is the obvious candidate.
Work has started more quickly then ever was possible before, the release of the genome, computer simulations of its operation etc.

However, hopefully before the vaccine some existing drugs will be found to help with treatment. These could be  approved more quickly. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 14, 2020, 09:08:23 PM
The virus itself is petrifying but a major worry for me are all those people who lose their income at one time. We've never experienced such a widespread loss of income in our life time. How long before social disorder kicks in? What happens to landlords looking rent? Renters unable to pay landlords etc etc etc

We are all typing on smart devices powered by a global data system that needs power. How far might this thing go in disrupting all aspects of life as we know it?

Yep agree with this. Shops need people to stock shelves. Food needs produced. A lot of jobs just can't shut down. Chemists are needed. The doctors and nurses themselves. It is unchartered territory and people stock piling toilet roll in particular doesn't inspire confidence.

larryin89

Is the health care system in Germany very good? They have a similar amount of cases to France but only eight deaths compared to 91 in France .