Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOC1923

Not only overlooked the Dunloy players but a year later the 2019 Minor manager bemoaned the lack of representation from Dunloy in the paper even though intercounty was now U17 level meaning Dunloys players were basically either U18 of u19 by that stage if you catch my drift. I can see why that would be frustrating DR
Fair point there MR2 on asking a Dunloy man in at that point to encourage.
Hope to see this years minors put up a good show on Saturday.

JimStynes

I'll never forget when we had a college all star who was playing for Armagh minors. The Antrim management didn't even know about it or who the player was, made no enquiries about him or anything.  Could you imagine an Armagh minor with a college All star being allowed to play for Down.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on October 19, 2020, 07:43:09 PM
I'll never forget when we had a college all star who was playing for Armagh minors. The Antrim management didn't even know about it or who the player was, made no enquiries about him or anything.  Could you imagine an Armagh minor with a college All star being allowed to play for Down.

Mate of mine got one of those school all stars in hurling, the shock on his face in the photo says it all!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 19, 2020, 05:37:00 PM
And our current captain DR, Conor McCann ;)

My bad  ;D

Connors been a fantastic captain for Antrim and decent to the panel This last lot of years. A lot of other lads should look at his example as to how he works hard to keep his place despite hurling outside of senior level.

I've always believed you need to look outside of the top teams and with the utmost respect to lads, not have older lads brought back again.  There's no future whatsoever in that.

The lads are all great servants to Antrim over the years but bringing back older lads will fill a void for a year or so and then leave a massive gap there when they are gone.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 19, 2020, 08:34:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 19, 2020, 05:37:00 PM
And our current captain DR, Conor McCann ;)

My bad  ;D

Connors been a fantastic captain for Antrim and decent to the panel This last lot of years. A lot of other lads should look at his example as to how he works hard to keep his place despite hurling outside of senior level.

I've always believed you need to look outside of the top teams and with the utmost respect to lads, not have older lads brought back again.  There's no future whatsoever in that.

The lads are all great servants to Antrim over the years but bringing back older lads will fill a void for a year or so and then leave a massive gap there when they are gone.

A wee nod to the big ball crew eh  ;)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

The new manager (hopefully a SW man) will go with youth and prove us wrong  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Calm Down

It seems like we are going over well trodden ground, is it maybe the case that an inside man doesn't work for Antrim for the reason of player attraction, am
I right I'm thinking Baker was able to get out a good spread for all corners of the county?

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 19, 2020, 08:56:19 PM
The new manager (hopefully a SW man) will go with youth and prove us wrong  ;)

Tied up with the camogie at the moment or I'd of been free for a go  8) :D
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Calm Down on October 19, 2020, 09:08:18 PM
It seems like we are going over well trodden ground, is it maybe the case that an inside man doesn't work for Antrim for the reason of player attraction, am
I right I'm thinking Baker was able to get out a good spread for all corners of the county?

Gleason has done tremendous work, as did Dinny back in the day.... Baker was great too..

Milltown Row2

bannside

Lenny has put through 50 - 60 players in his three years to date, from all corners of the county. One thing he cant be accused of is neglect, or favouritism towards any particular region. In his first year he threw open the gate for anyone who wanted to trial. What more could he do than that?

Calm Down

I would like to see the likes of an upcoming manager like Conleth Gilligan in with say the like of Paddy Bradley, young fresh management team

Milltown Row2

That's all you can do, but unfortunately some players tend to be drawn to big names and not so much the pride of the jersey, course that's unfair on lads that do play have that pride and felt dejected after that result.

I'll only remember defeats, worst loser out!

imtommygunn

Yeah I don't really think the city country thing exists as a big issue any more. It definitely did in my lifetime but I don't see it now. We just suffer the same problem counties up and down the country suffer of players not wanting to commit as the commitment for county these days is a lot.

Saturday wasn't good but I wouldn't be on a mission to get rid of Lenny.  There are much deeper issues with our county and the current climate is not the best time to really truly judge anyone.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Calm Down on October 19, 2020, 09:38:08 PM
I would like to see the likes of an upcoming manager like Conleth Gilligan in with say the like of Paddy Bradley, young fresh management team

Would be sore on the wallet that one
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012