The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

I was saying yesterday that Liverpool will pay for their profligacy in front of goal against better teams, creating chances is all well and good but they need to finish them.  Villa should have had a pen yesterday and if they had it would have been all to play for with 15mins to go.  Villa did not deserve anything from that game but Liverpool could not kill them off.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Doogie Browser on December 19, 2011, 03:49:51 PMI was saying yesterday that Liverpool will pay for their profligacy in front of goal against better teams, creating chances is all well and good but they need to finish them.
It's only "profligacy" if they're wasting easy  chances*. As I said earlier, I suspect their problem is their failure to create such chances.

In fact if you look at their record against the better teams, with the exception of a (9 man) drubbing by Spurs, they've actually done very well. This is because Dalglish is tactically astute and sets up his team to defend against and frustrate those teams, which is why L'pool have the second meanest defence in the EPL (after the Arse).

Often it is when they face the weaker teams, whom they are expected to attack and outplay, that they struggle.

* - Adebayor alone has probably missed as many sitters this season as L'pool have hit the woodwork. But he has still scored 8 EPL goals, because Spurs are creating loads of (easy) chances every game.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

gawa316

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 19, 2011, 04:07:32 PM
which is why L'pool have the second meanest defence in the EPL (after the Arse).

Don't think the Arse have anywhere near the meanest defence in the EPL

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: gawa316 on December 19, 2011, 05:04:49 PM
which is why L'pool have the second meanest defence in the EPL (after the Arse).

I guess it all depends on what EG is using to measure the meanest defence. I would tend to use the goals conceded although it's not for everyone ;)

Evil Genius

Oops!  :-[

Scanned the table too quickly (and somehow overlooked 8 goals at MU and 4 at B'burn Rvrs!  :D).

Anyhow, this still kinda proves my point, which is that L'pool, with the fewest goals conceded in the EPL, rely primarily on tight defensive discipline and a competitive midfield to win games.

Which is why they don't create many easy chances close-in against their opponents.

Which in turn is why they are reduced to shooting from distance, or hoping Suarez will do something special.

Which possibly explains why they are hitting the woodwork more than other leading, attack-minded teams.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 19, 2011, 07:18:27 PM

Scanned the table too quickly (and somehow overlooked 8 goals at MU and 4 at B'burn Rvrs!  :D).

Anyhow, this still kinda proves my point, which is that L'pool, with the fewest goals conceded in the EPL, rely primarily on tight defensive discipline and a competitive midfield to win games.

Which is why they don't create many easy chances close-in against their opponents.

Which in turn is why they are reduced to shooting from distance, or hoping Suarez will do something special.

Which possibly explains why they are hitting the woodwork more than other leading, attack-minded teams.

Take away the Manchester derby result MU only let in 8 goals in 15 games, would you call them mean in defence? Swansea with less resources have done well in defence Vorm for me has been the best keeper in the Premier league this season i think eight clean sheets already.

ross4life

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 19, 2011, 08:08:39 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on December 19, 2011, 07:18:27 PM

Take away the Manchester derby result MU only let in 8 goals in 15 games, would you call them mean in defence? Swansea with less resources have done well in defence Vorm for me has been the best keeper in the Premier league this season i think eight clean sheets already.
With Vidic yes without no.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

brokencrossbar1

I would agree with EG to a point here but only to a point. Downing was bought as he generally provides good quality balls which end up as assists to goals. He hasn't had one yet in all his games for Liverpool yet not all of that is down to his poor delivery. He has provided a number of excellent opportunities for Suarez and Carroll which they have failed to convert, chances inside or aroind the 6 yard box. This has in turn meant that the chances are being attempted from more difficult angles due to a certain lack of confidence in provider and finisher. I believe it will come together and with SG coming back he will provide extra drive in the final 3rd. I would like though a punt on a natural finisher in January, even on a short term thing.

boosabum

Big day for Liverpool tomorrow and in particular suarez, will he get a several game ban for his supposed racist remarks to evra. The same evra who accused steve finnan and some chelsea gorund staff of racist remarks previously, needless to say they were found innocent. If the FA are cute enough, they might get suarez to serve some of JT's time for him. Could be a big xmas for andy carroll if suarez is out, time to sh*t or get off the pot

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: boosabum on December 19, 2011, 09:29:19 PM
Big day for Liverpool tomorrow and in particular suarez, will he get a several game ban for his supposed racist remarks to evra. The same evra who accused steve finnan and some chelsea gorund staff of racist remarks previously, needless to say they were found innocent. If the FA are cute enough, they might get suarez to serve some of JT's time for him. Could be a big xmas for andy carroll if suarez is out, time to sh*t or get off the pot

Evra didn't accuse Finnan.It was a member of the public.

Minder

I saw a tweet from Thiago Alcantra (Barcelona) the other day, he had taken a photo of some of the Barcelona players in Japan and referred to the "Negritos", Abidal and Keita I think it was.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ross4life

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 19, 2011, 09:22:31 PM
I would like though a punt on a natural finisher in January, even on a short term thing.
Sure Kenny should give Fergie a call as this natural finisher should be fit by January.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

EC Unique

Check you facts! This is the first time Evra has accused anyone of racist remarks.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: EC Unique on December 19, 2011, 10:21:01 PM

Check you facts! This is the first time Evra has accused anyone of racist remarks.

True although he was found by the FA hearing at the time to have provided evidence that was "exaggerated and unreliable". So whether this will be taken into account this time around remains to be seen.

Two Hands FFS

It is very frustrating the amount of chances Liverpool are missing each match but at least they are creating them...i'd be more worried if the chances weren't being created. All this without the most creative player in Gerrard. I could count 5/6 matches that have finished as draws where they have hit crossbars/bad finishing/good goalkeeping.

Coming up to nearly a year with the king back & the club has been transformed(with the help of the new owners). Playing good attacking football with players totally committed..that wasnt happening under that total idiot Hodgson.

Slowly but surely things are getting better