The Official EFL Championship

Started by lurganblue, August 28, 2018, 03:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

I was looking for a thread on this but one must not exist! Amazing.  Surely there is at least some interest if only to abuse the teams that knock your accumulator!?

Do super Leeds have it won already since they're are now playing the best football in England under Bielsa? Will Villa finally buy their way out of the league? Will Lampard be sacked before Steve McClaren?

shark

Championship is a long slog. Early season form can be misleading, as Fulham showed last season. There is no Wolves 17/18 or Newcastle/Brighton 16/17 to run away with it this time I suspect.
Not convinced Leeds will last the distance, but have a strong chance of making the playoffs. Middlesbrough will be right up there, but will bore everyone to tears. West Brom should be thereabouts for top 2 too. Villa will make playoffs comfortably but can't see them making top 2. Swansea's squad looks too thin. Stoke are struggling and look like Villa in 16/17 season, but have plenty of time to put it right yet. Lampard will do fine with Derby, with the help of his Chelsea connections as Mason Mount rips up the league. Brentford to continue to be the most interesting team, and miss playoffs again.

rodney trotter

McClaren keeps getting into jobs after being sacked from whatever club he is at. He was sacked twice in 2 Spells with Derby, then Newcastle in between Derby.

Bamford a good signing for Leeds,decent player at Championship level. Villa holding onto Grealish a boost for their promotion chances.

ziggy90

As long as the Vile don't get promoted and Birmingham manage to avoid relegation it will be a good season for me.
The football might not be up to top PL standard but that's more than made up in the passion shown by most club's fans and the fact that the Championship is completely unpredictable.
Well done lurganblue for starting this thread.
KRO.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Denn Forever

Quest do highlight on Sat. at 9.00 pm. Do the promoted teams do a refresher course in rolling around when tackled during the summer before the Premier starts?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

shark

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 28, 2018, 05:02:58 PM
Quest do highlight on Sat. at 9.00 pm. Do the promoted teams do a refresher course in rolling around when tackled during the summer before the Premier starts?

They don't need to, as they (Cardiff excluded) realise you need to buy new players when promoted.

lurganblue

Am I right in saying Bielsa is known for burning his players out? Leeds usually aren't to keen on strengthening in Jan. Could be a problem. I was reminded today that this time last year Leeds were also top. I agree though that Brentford play some great football. Only a matter of time before Dean Smith is nabbed away.

QPR look horrendous. Maybe Wells will get them some goals now though.

Birmingham still suffering since 'Arry over extended?

ziggy90

Zola, 'Arry and Cotterill were all calamitous appointments. Monk is a very good young manager but has his work cut-out   with Birmingham's toxic board.
KRO.

lurganblue

Feckin joke from Bruce today. 3 defenders out of position again. Could very easily be sacked over the international break.

Watched some of the Leeds match last night and have to say I wasn't that impressed. Hard to express yourself v a Pulis side though.

ziggy90

All Birmingham's previous good play this season went to pot today. Back to relegation fodder methinks.
Isn't Bruce blaming his defenders?
KRO.

lurganblue

Quote from: ziggy90 on September 02, 2018, 10:03:15 AM
All Birmingham's previous good play this season went to pot today. Back to relegation fodder methinks.
Isn't Bruce blaming his defenders?

Bruce setting up that defence beggars belief. And that is supposed to be his niche as a manager! He's on very thin ice.  He has a midfielder playing CH. A right back playing left back and a CH playing right back. Chester is the only player in his natural position.

extra time

Well done Lurganblue. Good thread and i suspect there is a lot of championship supporters out there. WBA, Boro, Leeds and Brentford wont be far away and at the bottom QPR will improve after 3 good loan signings.

ziggy90

Dean Smith to Vile Park?
If I was a Brentford fan I'd be a bit worried right now.

lurganblue

Smith would be my choice if there is to be a change. Villa fan, apparently, and has worked wonders at Brentford.

Swansea should still be in the mix too I'd say.

Syferus

Do You Want to Win? about Howard Wilkinson's Leeds team is a really great documentary. It's on Prime Video for anyone that's interested.