European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 19, 2017, 11:30:31 PM
Juventus havent conceded a goal in open play in this seasons champions league. 10 games so far. Unbelievable stat. They would be my favourites to win it. Only trophy buffon hasnt won.
Would love to see then win it. There was no way Barca were gonna bang in 3+ tonight no matter how much effort BT Sports spent trying to hype it up.

Applesisapples

All this talk of Messi fading is bullshit. I watch Barca week in week out and at times he and Pique have carried the team. Barca need a right back, probably 2, the need decent cover for Alba on the other side. They need cover for Busquets and help for Messi as he assumes the Xavi role. Unfortunately the buys of last summer are not working, Roberto is wasted covering right back. I'd not be surprised to see two of Thiago, Bellerin and Coutinho if not all thee join in the summer.

Syferus

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 20, 2017, 05:04:27 PM
All this talk of Messi fading is bullshit. I watch Barca week in week out and at times he and Pique have carried the team. Barca need a right back, probably 2, the need decent cover for Alba on the other side. They need cover for Busquets and help for Messi as he assumes the Xavi role. Unfortunately the buys of last summer are not working, Roberto is wasted covering right back. I'd not be surprised to see two of Thiago, Bellerin and Coutinho if not all thee join in the summer.

Going to a hell of a lot easier for Ronaldo to win the Balon D'Or if Messi starts playing as a CM..

Milltown Row2

Anderlecht looking dangerous goal here or two for them if they take their chances
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

3/4 EL ties went into extra time. That was some game in Turkey, Besiktas v Lyon, with the jelly and ice cream provided by the penalty shoot out.
More drama at Schalke where Ajax  down to 10, went behind in ET and scored 2 to nail the tie.
I'd like to see that final, Ajax v Lyon, I hope they're kept apart in sf draw. 

Boycey

Great, Real vs Atletico in the semi finals. Two games of spiteful, petty horribleness instead of one :o

SHEEDY

Champions League semi-finals draw

Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid

Monaco v Juventus

The matches will be played on 2 & 3 May and 9 & 10 May.

Europa League semi-finals draw

Ajax v Lyon

Celta Vigo v Manchester United
nil satis nisi optimum

Billys Boots

Quote from: Boycey on April 21, 2017, 11:44:15 AM
Great, Real vs Atletico in the semi finals. Two games of spiteful, petty horribleness instead of one :o

Looking forward to it already!  ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

SHEEDY

i'd go for real madrid v juventus and lyon v man utd in the finals
nil satis nisi optimum

Syferus

The CL really gets interesting from the QFs forward. So much arsing about to get to the good stuff, though.

Might watch the EL final this year too, watching Liverpool face-plant last year was good craic. Since they added the CL spot to that game it's become much more meaningful.

Main Street

In the EL 1/4 finals, 3 of the teams (lower ranked) drawn at home first, won through.
I think Man U got the easier draw against Celta V but that doesn't mean that much, mid table La Liga is probably a better outfit than mid table EPL, despite the economic disparity and Celta V can focus mainly on this competition.

I was happy enough with Ajax beating Schalke, for my taste the Dutch can never rub the Germans' noses into it enough,  however Ajax's goalie performs like that last kid picked from the line for a game after school, usually the fat kid that got bunged into goals,
http://www.espnfc.us/report?gameId=476522
slow, late and butterfingered, perhaps I'm too cruel on him?

Syferus

Quote from: Main Street on April 21, 2017, 01:14:00 PM
In the EL 1/4 finals, 3 of the teams (lower ranked) drawn at home first, won through.
I think Man U got the easier draw against Celta V but that doesn't mean that much, mid table La Liga is probably a better outfit than mid table EPL, despite the economic disparity and Celta V can focus mainly on this competition.

I was happy enough with Ajax beating Schalke, for my taste the Dutch can never rub the Germans' noses into it enough,  however Ajax's goalie performs like that last kid picked from the line for a game after school, usually the fat kid that got bunged into goals,

Eh? There's an awful amount of dross in La Liga after the big three and maybe Sevilla (beaten by Leicester..). And they don't have the money mid-table premier league teams do either.. Mour is clearly fixated on the EL too given his starting line-up for the Chelsea game so that's not even an advantage for the Spanish club.

Main Street

Quote from: Syferus on April 21, 2017, 04:11:28 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 21, 2017, 01:14:00 PM

Eh? There's an awful amount of dross in La Liga after the big three and maybe Sevilla (beaten by Leicester..).
And they don't have the money mid-table premier league teams do either.. Mour is clearly fixated on the EL too given his starting line-up for the Chelsea game so that's not even an advantage for the Spanish club.
Drawing linear form lines like that are very unreliable indicators.
Celta finished well ahead of a mid table Sevilla last season. In the EL last season, Sevilla struggled to get by Bilbao,  Sevilla then outplayed Liverpool in the final, a team who had dispatched Man U in the QF. Mid table Spanish team ruled the EL in the final stages,  EPL super rich clubs came a cropper.  All those results do not prove or disprove anything.
However La Liga teams that last the pace in the EL usually do very well,  an average La Liga team like Celta will give Man U a good competitive game.
In europe this season, Man U have struggled to beat a modest team like Anderlecht from an average league outside the top 10. Celta have already knocked out a top seeded team in Shaktar.

Captain Obvious

El Clasico time hopefully its a good watch.

seafoid

Looks like Macron v Le Pen in the French Cup
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU