McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

It's Tyrone and Armagh that really care about the competition. Tyrone in particular.

bannside

Gives counties two or three competitive outings before the league, and a few hundred grand to Ulster Council to keep the steak dinners going for another twelve months.

21 games this year with average crowd of 1500 at £5. Handy enough £150k. Maybe more. 

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: bannside on December 06, 2019, 03:19:25 PM
Gives counties two or three competitive outings before the league, and a few hundred grand to Ulster Council to keep the steak dinners going for another twelve months.

21 games this year with average crowd of 1500 at £5. Handy enough £150k. Maybe more.

21 games in the McKenna cup?

Are these games ran for free? Surely there are costs too?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Throw ball

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 06, 2019, 02:06:27 PM
It's Tyrone and Armagh that really care about the competition. Tyrone in particular.

Without checking I think it is over 25 years since Armagh won the McKenna Cup. Don't think they take it too serious at all. Now playing Tyrone in anything is a different matter.

under the bar

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 06, 2019, 04:49:38 PM

Flogging smuggled cigarettes around the Athletic Grounds makes Armagh County Board a fair few quid extra.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: under the bar on December 06, 2019, 06:56:19 PM

Flogging smuggled cigarettes around the Athletic Grounds makes Armagh County Board a fair few quid extra.

Cigarette smoking & sport....a good link up.

Taylor

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 06, 2019, 07:03:48 PM
Quote from: under the bar on December 06, 2019, 06:56:19 PM

Cigarette smoking & sport....a good link up.

Much like drink or gambling and sport.
All about the money

regal

Quote from: Throw ball on December 06, 2019, 06:33:19 PM

Without checking I think it is over 25 years since Armagh won the McKenna Cup. Don't think they take it too serious at all. Now playing Tyrone in anything is a different matter.

Correct, I think it was maybe 1991 when Armagh last won it and I can't remember being in too many finals since. I do think Armagh will be competitive in it this year

BennyCake

Quote from: regal on December 07, 2019, 08:40:39 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on December 06, 2019, 06:33:19 PM

Correct, I think it was maybe 1991 when Armagh last won it and I can't remember being in too many finals since. I do think Armagh will be competitive in it this year

Armagh last won it in 1994.

rrhf

That 91 win was famous for canavan scoring 15 points. The Armagh fans clapped and cheered him off the field..

tonto1888

Good to have the football back and nice to start the season off with a decent win

Wildweasel74

There was more than 2000 at Inniskeen the day,. some set up for a place in the middle of no where.

keeperlit

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 29, 2019, 10:35:26 PM
Good to have the football back and nice to start the season off with a decent win
A win is a win. But that was Cavan's second string out. IMO Armagh looked good going foward in the 1st half but defensively Armagh are all at sea. Cavan will definitely be targeting us for two points in first game of league. Hopefully we can shade!

BennyCake

What were the prices today?

Derry Optimist

Anyone at the match in Inniskeen?If you were there Wildweasel or anyone else I would be interested in your overall impression of Derry's performance.I know they were missing about nine starting players but how did the new players perform?