NFL Division 2 2019

Started by Horse Box, November 22, 2018, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Very impressed with Meath yesterday ( taking out the first 15 minutes ).
Very strong physical side with some classy forwards. James McEntee at whb was excellent.
Easily the best team we have played this year so far .
Only concern I would have is your keeper. Though he struggled to vary the kick outs when Fermanagh were in charge around the middle in the first half.

Fermanagh's biggest issue at the moment is scoring.
We hit 17 wides against Meath yesterday and most of them were in the first 15 minutes.
We should have been at least 7 or 8 up before Meath got their first score.
Defensively we are sound but our shooting has to improve. 
We have hit a serious amount of wides this year across all our games.  We are getting into good positions but we just are not finishing well.

At the start of the campaign I thought drawing with Cork and Tipperary were dropped points in our quest to stay up.  Little did I know those dropped points cost us promotion.
Good campaign as we only had three home games.

Looking to the division next year it looks again very competitive again and the first priority for most teams in the division will be staying in it. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

tonto1888

Quote from: David McKeown on March 25, 2019, 11:27:30 AM
Quote from: illdecide on March 24, 2019, 10:35:29 PM
Quote from: mackers on March 24, 2019, 08:32:25 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 24, 2019, 05:47:44 PM
I didn't think Deegan had too bad a game with the exception of the black card for Grimley.  What worries me far more is that once again this season Armagh played their way back into a game and then reverted to a tactic that has completely failed them all season and which once again failed them today.  Going 15 against 15 Armagh look like they could give anyone a game, dropping off and playing multiple sweepers etc and they look like a poor team.  For some reason Armagh seem to revert to the later far too often.
I'd agree with everything you said David except for the bit in bold.  I felt it was a deserved black card. He tripped the Cork player with a rugby style tap tackle as he was running away from him.  Our supporters booed correct decisions by the ref on more than one occasion today.

Agreed 100%, he got Grimley's black card correct but about 2 mins previous the Cork lad literally pulled the shorts of the Armagh player (can't remember the player) and yes we got the free but no yellow or black card. It was so obvious it was laughable. I was right at the score board end and TBH Rafferty's foul was probably just outside but his momentum carried him on into the box. I just thought Cork were getting the we silly 50/50 decisions, what is the rule regarding the keeper getting the ball punched out of his arms and into the net?
Armagh just couldn't deal with Cork's men running of the shoulder and they got majority of their scores from that move, still haven't got over that first half performance...brutal.

From where I was it looked like Deegan had awarded a foul before there was any form of trip by Grimley but I've spoken to a few since who had a better view than me so I can accept I'm not in the best position to judge.

In respect of your query on challenging the goal keeper the rule is. When he is within the small rectangle, the goalkeeper may not be charged but he may be challenged for possession of the ball, and his kick or pass may be blocked. Incidental contact with the goalkeeper while playing the ball is permitted.

I don't think Grimley meant to trip the guy as he was trying to get his balance. That said, the result was the same. Seemed like the linesman who told the ref to give the black card. I'm not sure it really hampered us or have them that much of an afavantage anywy

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Throw ball on March 24, 2019, 04:23:48 PM
I am glad Clare beat Cork as it would have been cruel on Tipp to get relegated based on Cork beating Armagh. Armagh attitude in first half was terrible.  Add to that a ridiculous black card for Niall Grimley just before half time, a few generous decisions going Cork's  way and what seemed poor time keeping at end of game. Luckily it didn't matter.

Challenging season for Clare especially with players missing at start of campaign.  Had only 3 home games (and as it turns out two of those against the eventual top 2).  Poor second half performances against Kildare and Fermanagh away and Meath at home were disheartening.

That said when chips were down yesterday they fought back 3 times to reel Tipp in.   

Shame that they are on same side of draw as Kerry again in Munster championship.

/Jim.

armaghniac

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 25, 2019, 02:13:14 PM
I am glad Clare beat Cork as it would have been cruel on Tipp to get relegated based on Cork beating Armagh. Armagh attitude in first half was terrible.  Add to that a ridiculous black card for Niall Grimley just before half time, a few generous decisions going Cork's  way and what seemed poor time keeping at end of game. Luckily it didn't matter.

Challenging season for Clare especially with players missing at start of campaign.  Had only 3 home games (and as it turns out two of those against the eventual top 2).  Poor second half performances against Kildare and Fermanagh away and Meath at home were disheartening.

That said when chips were down yesterday they fought back 3 times to reel Tipp in.   

Shame that they are on same side of draw as Kerry again in Munster championship.

/Jim.

Only 3 away games of course too and one neutral venue, even if half the pitch is in Armagh.
I expect Clare is happy to be above Cork in the overall scheme of things.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: armaghniac on March 25, 2019, 05:50:02 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 25, 2019, 02:13:14 PM

/Jim.

Only 3 away games of course too and one neutral venue, even if half the pitch is in Armagh.
I expect Clare is happy to be above Cork in the overall scheme of things.

Admittedly Armagh's punishment did aid Clare, not sure the lads would have got a point in the Athletic Grounds and a valuable point in proved.

With respect to be being above Cork, I think a bit of credit is what all involved in Clare would like there.  Clare have spent 3 years in Division 2 and beaten Cork in all 3 seasons. 

So despite Spillane and Brolly bleating about Cork demise when Clare beat them this year (3-13 to 1-10) it was hardly as surprise given Cork left Ennis in 2017 beaten (2-11 to 0-9) and Clare went to Cork last year and beat them (0-14 to 0-12)

So in my book Clare are long since a better team than Cork.   

/Jim.

imtommygunn

Clare have been a decent side this past few years. Fair play to them as they've really stepped it up. From a Cork perspective things have really gone badly. I think what would be more worrying for them would be the hammering their club side took by crokes and what that might say about the standard of their club football. They used to win underage titles and have decent players in those teams but they just seem to lose to Kerry now which is bound to be deflating.

I don't know if UCC means anything as there are a load of Kerry guys on but you'd have thought winning sigerson might help development.

I don't think they are getting out of their slump any time soon.

illdecide

i dunno what the big fuss is about, they've had their day and are going through a transition. They're a big county that will bounce back again in a few years( I think, although I'm about to contradict this...lol), the only worry i'd have if i was a Cork football fan is Hurling is getting more and more dominant in Cork and the longer the footballers waste away in the lower divisions then the bigger the Hurling will get...

Anyway that's a topic for the Div 3 thread now... ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Solo_run on March 24, 2019, 05:43:08 PM
Division 2 next season

Armagh
Cavan
Roscommon
Kildare
Fermanagh
Laois
Westmeath or Louth
Clare

A lot of Division 2 die hards in that group throw in Meath and you probably have the counties ranked 8 to 16 in no particular order.  All capable of beating each other.  Just missing Down who'd be another Division 2 regular.
#newbridgeornowhere

Captain Obvious

Fair to say this kept Clare up and relegated Cork.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2019, 11:12:50 AM
Division 2 next season

Armagh
Cavan
Roscommon
Kildare
Fermanagh
Laois
Westmeath or Louth
Clare

A lot of Division 2 die hards in that group throw in Meath and you probably have the counties ranked 8 to 16 in no particular order.  All capable of beating each other.  Just missing Down who'd be another Division 2 regular.

I'd say over the last 10 years Kildare and Laois has spent the longest in Div 2. Going by the boards.ie ranking table.

9th Roscommon
10th Kildare
11th Cavan
12th Fermanagh
13th Armagh
14th Laois
15th Clare
18th Westmeath or 23rd Louth
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Solo_run

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 27, 2019, 03:48:53 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2019, 11:12:50 AM
Division 2 next season

Armagh
Cavan
Roscommon
Kildare
Fermanagh
Laois
Westmeath or Louth
Clare

I'd say over the last 10 years Kildare and Laois has spent the longest in Div 2. Going by the boards.ie ranking table.

9th Roscommon
10th Kildare
11th Cavan
12th Fermanagh
13th Armagh
14th Laois
15th Clare
18th Westmeath or 23rd Louth

22 counties have been represented in division 2 since 2009.

Meath 10 years - relegated in 2013 season promoted as runner up in 2014.
Kildare 7 years.
Armagh for 6 years I think spent 2 seasons in D1 and in D3
Galway for 6 and were in between D1 and D2.

The Boy Wonder

The Div1, Div2, Div3, Div4 format has been in operation since 2008 - 12 years.
Just checked my own county - Laois were in Division 2 for 7 of those years, 2 years in Div1, 2 years in Div3 and 1 year in Div4.

Ross Munnelly played in Div1 final in 2003 (lost to Tyrone), Div2 final in 2011 (lost to Donegal), Div4 final 2018 (beat Carlow) and will probably play some part in 2019 Div3 final against Louth or Westmeath.

Throw ball

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 27, 2019, 03:18:04 PM
Fair to say this kept Clare up and relegated Cork.

You could also say the controversial injury time goal Clare got against Armagh kept them up at Cork's expense.

Solo_run

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on March 27, 2019, 05:20:56 PM
The Div1, Div2, Div3, Div4 format has been in operation since 2008 - 12 years.
Just checked my own county - Laois were in Division 2 for 7 of those years, 2 years in Div1, 2 years in Div3 and 1 year in Div4.

Ross Munnelly played in Div1 final in 2003 (lost to Tyrone), Div2 final in 2011 (lost to Donegal), Div4 final 2018 (beat Carlow) and will probably play some part in 2019 Div3 final against Louth or Westmeath.

I left Laois out  :o

rodney trotter

Looks ridiculous that neither Meath or Donegal wore their second Jersey..