NFL Division 2 2019

Started by Horse Box, November 22, 2018, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: FermGael on February 25, 2019, 09:54:35 AM
Fantastic result yesterday.
Fermanagh deserved the win and had too much for Donegal in the second half.
Defensively we were excellent and Donegal only scored twice from frees in the second half.
Our attacking play is improving. 
From last years team we are missing Seamie, the Corrigan brothers, Barry Mulrone and Michael Jones plus Eoin Donnelly out injured.  Rory as unearthed a few gems.  Cassidy at corner back, Kelm as wing half back and Ciaran Corrigan at wing half forward.
Donegal being reduced to 14 so early helped our cause. 
The black card for verbal abuse to the Donegal corner back was also crucial .  Did it in front of the linesman so he can have no complaints.
Donegal lacked real leadership in the second half.  Seemed to run out of ideas up front.  Fermanagh got on top of the kick outs by pushing up.  Donegal keeper then resorted to thumping it long which suited Fermanagh as we won the majority of midfield and break ball.
Clare up next. 
If results go our way next weekend then we could be in a very strong position to go up.
We have beaten the two promotion favourites in the league this year.
We have Armagh away and Meath away to play after Clare so 2 points is crucial this weekend.
Hopefully Meath can push on and leave the last game a dead rubber for them.

Interesting you mention the leadership issue for Donegal. Anthony Molloy was interviewed and spoke about that last week, saying it's been a very evident problem in our struggles so far this year in the absence of the likes of Murphy, McBrearty, McGlynn and the Gaoth Dobhair lads, and even arguably last year, when he reckoned we won a soft Ulster after your boys shocked Monaghan (we did).

We've been dire at midfield too, which is something of a worry for the championship. MacNiallais is taking a break, O'Baoill is fairly raw at this level, which means Murphy will probably have to pulled back again if Jason McGee and Michael Langan can't compete. Maybe the returning Micheal Carroll will help, but he is also inexperienced at senior county level.

tippabu

Quote from: Throw ball on February 24, 2019, 09:27:13 PM
Was disappointed in Tipperary today. Most of their scores were frees and Armagh were in control for most of game. The sending of didn't help. To be fair to Jamie Clarke he made nothing of the punch in the ribs - the crowd reacted and it was right in front of linesman.

Didn't make it up but not surprised with the result. Very very surprised with the sending off, of Every one on the panel Brian fox is the last person who'd do something like this, he has no dirt at all about him but he did it and rightly sent off from what I've heard.

Saying it from the start of the league and missing the players we are missing we would struggle, quinlivan especially. The whole forward line relies on him so much to take attention and free up other players through the attention he receives and being the one who brings others into it. We haven't carried a threat all league in our forward play.

It's firmly between ourselves cork and Clare to go down now. Cork match next weekend is huge, looks like we will need to win these two and should be enough to stay up but we have to wait and see.

FermGael

Quote from: J70 on February 25, 2019, 11:03:19 AM
Quote from: FermGael on February 25, 2019, 09:54:35 AM
Fantastic result yesterday.
Fermanagh deserved the win and had too much for Donegal in the second half.
Defensively we were excellent and Donegal only scored twice from frees in the second half.
Our attacking play is improving. 
From last years team we are missing Seamie, the Corrigan brothers, Barry Mulrone and Michael Jones plus Eoin Donnelly out injured.  Rory as unearthed a few gems.  Cassidy at corner back, Kelm as wing half back and Ciaran Corrigan at wing half forward.
Donegal being reduced to 14 so early helped our cause. 
The black card for verbal abuse to the Donegal corner back was also crucial .  Did it in front of the linesman so he can have no complaints.
Donegal lacked real leadership in the second half.  Seemed to run out of ideas up front.  Fermanagh got on top of the kick outs by pushing up.  Donegal keeper then resorted to thumping it long which suited Fermanagh as we won the majority of midfield and break ball.
Clare up next. 
If results go our way next weekend then we could be in a very strong position to go up.
We have beaten the two promotion favourites in the league this year.
We have Armagh away and Meath away to play after Clare so 2 points is crucial this weekend.
Hopefully Meath can push on and leave the last game a dead rubber for them.

Interesting you mention the leadership issue for Donegal. Anthony Molloy was interviewed and spoke about that last week, saying it's been a very evident problem in our struggles so far this year in the absence of the likes of Murphy, McBrearty, McGlynn and the Gaoth Dobhair lads, and even arguably last year, when he reckoned we won a soft Ulster after your boys shocked Monaghan (we did).

We've been dire at midfield too, which is something of a worry for the championship. MacNiallais is taking a break, O'Baoill is fairly raw at this level, which means Murphy will probably have to pulled back again if Jason McGee and Michael Langan can't compete. Maybe the returning Micheal Carroll will help, but he is also inexperienced at senior county level.

Second half your forwards would not take on the responsibility to have a shot.
Got into good positions and then shuffled the ball sideways or backwards.
In the first half the Donegal players were putting those chances straight over the bar without thinking.
Langan didn't miss a free first half .  Took every free out of his hands.

Donegal got a very kickable free about 45 yards out  in the second half and he decided to take it off the ground and missed it.  Shortly after he missed one from the 21 yard line in front of the posts.
Your midfield was very poor in the second half.

I don't know if we are poison to play against illdecide.
That's a bit strong. 
Every team now drops a minimum of 12 players behind the ball when defending. 
Brolly and co have an agenda with Gallagher and probably the Fermanagh players as well.
Convenient scapegoats that saves them analysing a game properly.
They give us very little credit.  Serious amount of coaching has went into the set up and at times ( especially the first half ) Fermanagh can play too deep.  Rory and Ricey were roaring at the Fermanagh players to push up on several occasions.
The players are very fit.  The squad has improved and we make the most of what we have.
We also have players to come back from injury which will help.
Every week the attacking play is improving.
We scored nearly double our average this week.
We also missed a lot as well.
At the start of the year we were favourites to get relegated. 
We now have a good outside chance of promotion.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

illdecide

Poison maybe was the wrong word ;). Maybe difficult is a better description, Armagh really struggle against defensive teams and can't break them down. It is frustrating to watch but if it works then use, I do agree most teams filter their players back into defence and try to break out on the counter attack...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Captain Obvious

Important win for Armagh yesterday have the head to head over Tipperary if needed later. Still have to make up for those two dropped points in the drawn games and a win next weekend will do that.

tonto1888

I hate playing against fermanagh but fair play you guys have a system and it works. If we had have been a bit more like you in our first two game we may also be in 6 points

pbat

In London this weekend, does anyone know how to go about getting EIR TV over here to watch the Armagh vs Donegal game?

armaghniac

Quote from: pbat on February 25, 2019, 08:16:36 PM
In London this weekend, does anyone know how to go about getting EIR TV over here to watch the Armagh vs Donegal game?

GAAgo?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hound

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 25, 2019, 05:09:48 PM
I hate playing against fermanagh but fair play you guys have a system and it works. If we had have been a bit more like you in our first two game we may also be in 6 points
If Fermanagh get promotion, then they'll fully deserve to be in Division 1, but I'd much prefer to see Meath, Kildare or Armagh come up.

macdanger2

Quote from: Hound on February 26, 2019, 02:49:02 PM
If Fermanagh get promotion, then they'll fully deserve to be in Division 1, but I'd much prefer to see Meath, Kildare or Armagh come up.

I disagree. Fermanagh have a tiny pick so they do whatever they can to win and then hope to be a bit more expansive when possible. They're maximising their resources and good luck to them

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 26, 2019, 02:54:43 PM

I disagree. Fermanagh have a tiny pick so they do whatever they can to win and then hope to be a bit more expansive when possible. They're maximising their resources and good luck to them
As I said, if they get promoted, they'll fully deserve to be in Division 1.

As for "maximising their resources", well that's a notional argument that can never be proven. Certainly, as one example, I don't believe Gallagher's system was utilising the skills of Tomas Corrigan to full effect.

Ethan Tremblay

Football and how it should be played is a game of opinion.  Fermanagh GAA have backed Gallagher's opinion to get them to where they want to be so if they go to Division 1 fair dues, it is on their merit and their system which they believe works best for them. 

But to be totally honest, I think Division 2 is the best place for them though.  It is competitive and no disrespect to them but I think they would be getting tanked every week in Division 1.  To be totally honest, outside of Donegal with a more complete panel, I would say all Division 2 teams wouldn't fair to well in Division 1.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

FermGael

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on February 26, 2019, 03:54:01 PM
Football and how it should be played is a game of opinion.  Fermanagh GAA have backed Gallagher's opinion to get them to where they want to be so if they go to Division 1 fair dues, it is on their merit and their system which they believe works best for them. 

But to be totally honest, I think Division 2 is the best place for them though.  It is competitive and no disrespect to them but I think they would be getting tanked every week in Division 1.  To be totally honest, outside of Donegal with a more complete panel, I would say all Division 2 teams wouldn't fair to well in Division 1.   

Completely disagree.
Looking back I remember when Fermanagh played in the old 1a and 1b leagues. That exposure helped to narrow the gap between us and them and would have been a big factor in our runs in 03 and 04
Would love to play the Dubs or Kerry in Brewster Park.
You only have to look at what Monaghan have done.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

tonto1888

I agree with you about that. If they go up they fully deserve it. Like I said, they have a style and a system which isn't the prettiest but it bloody works for them

Ethan Tremblay

Yea that's fair enough, would love to see them go up as outside of Armagh, there probably the team from Ulster I would want to see do well. 

I suppose a real measure of where Fermanagh are would boil down to how they fair against the top top teams, but I would imagine a trip to division 1 next year would be counter productive and could imagine they would win to many games if any, just my opinion though. 

We will see how they fair out in the remaining three games, two tough games at the end to round the league off, if they can't beat Armagh or Meath, I would stand by my theory they would not survive going up.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...