What binds you to the GAA?

Started by irunthev, February 21, 2008, 10:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feetofflames

To me the word betterment sums it up and the footballers really are no better off than the committee man who is no better off than the hard working club member and thats how it should be.
Self betterment
family betterment
Friends betterment 
community betterment
county betterment
National betterment
Chief Wiggum

FermGael

I like many others on the board have spent abit of time travelling.  Spent the end of the summer06 in Asia and had one of the best nights craic in my life listening to the Mayo-Dublin semi final over the internet in Chang Mai in a hostel with a crowd of fellas from Dublin and Mayo.  Micheal painted some picture for us and seeing the looks from The English lad's trying to work out what we were doing and what the fella on the radio was saying. Priceless  There were about 10 of us sitting around there. Was great to see 2 sets of supporters giving it their all and after(And during) the match, well we had a good session of the finest Chang beer we could find.
Also was in Australia in O7 and joined a club in Perth for about 4 months.  They were great craic and a fine group of people who provide social connections to the emigrated Irish communties and those that are there(like myself) for a bit of a holiday.
Supposed i never fully appreciated exactly what The GAA did until i left it behind and exactly what a huge part of my life it was and is. It gives you a sense of belonging and community no matter if you are part of a club in Ireland,England, America, Australia or anywhere else.  It's uniquely Irish and long may it continue
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Lar Naparka

Hard to say, but the bind is there all the time!
I never played much football and no hurling but I clattered many a ball off many a handball wall around the country in my time. Handballers tend to belong to a gang of their own and don't always feel they belong to the overall GAA scene but I'd always have a hope that Mayo would someday surprise us all down in my own place. For Mayo people it's the one topic to take over from  the weather when summer time comes around!
Any time I go back down west from Dublin, young and old will always bring the subject up sooner or later and I suppose it has given me a sense of belonging to my roots.
Back in 2004, just before the final, I dropped in to vist an elderly relation. (Over the 80 mark.)
She had a big problem and was waiting for me to arrive and put matters right!
Hers was the only house in the village without the green and red flying and she wanted a flag right up on the chimney stack so that David (Heaney) would see it as he passed by. So, feeling an awful fool, I got a few ladders and started to climb. Just as I was about finished, I felt a tug on the guide rope and there she was right behind me giving instructions as to where I was to place it!

God Almighty! I was well over the 50 mark and suffering for chronic arthritis and felt reluctant enough to do what I did but I could have cried (probably did) at the sight of herself on the roof and the realisation of what the green and red means to her.
I don't keep up to speed with the club scene or other aspects of the game in Mayo but only Mayo people will understand what I am on about here. The desire to see Sam back again passes all understanding and as long as the wait goes on there will always be 80 years olds willing to climb roofs - and I'll be willing to get up with them!

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

stew

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 24, 2008, 12:01:26 AM
I never played much football and no hurling but I clattered many a ball off many a handball wall around the country in my time. Handballers tend to belong to a gang of their own and don't always feel they belong to the overall GAA scene but I'd always have a hope that Mayo would someday surprise us all down in my own place. For Mayo people it's the one topic to take over from  the weather when summer time comes around!
Any time I go back down west from Dublin, young and old will always bring the subject up sooner or later and I suppose it has given me a sense of belonging to my roots.
Back in 2004, just before the final, I dropped in to vist an elderly relation. (Over the 80 mark.)
Hers was the only house in the village without the green and red flying and she wanted a flag right up on the chimney stack so that David (Heaney) would see it as he passed by. So, feeling an awful fool, I got a few ladders and started to climb. Just as I was about finished, I felt a tug on the guide rope and there she was right behind me giving instructions as to where I was to place it!

God Almighty! I was well over the 50 mark and suffering for chronic arthritis and felt reluctant enough to do what I did but I could have cried (probably did) at the sight of herself on the roof and the realisation of what the green and red means to her.
I don't keep up to speed with the club scene or other aspects of the game in Mayo but only Mayo people will understand what I am on about here. The desire to see Sam back again passes all understanding and as long as the wait goes on there will always be 80 years olds willing to climb roofs - and I'll be willing to get up with them!

Thats a lovely story. It reminds me of 2002 when geezer was talking about bringing sam home on the bus from Dublin and how struck he was with the image of an old woman, standing at her gate, all alone crying with a wee flag in her hand, winning the AI meant the world to McGeeney exactly because of people like her and that he mentioned that little story told me a lot  about the man and the impact gaelic games and it's culture means in our lives.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

SLIGONIAN

My Dad brought me to my first Sligo game at age 7 back in 1989. Ive been to every Sligo championship game since then on home soil. When I started playing my current club was split into the 3 parishs which created huge rivalry. Cliffoney being my club, Grange and Maugherow being our rivals. Now we are joined and although I do support I would always put my county first. No real sense of community in a very divided club now. I preffered when were seperate. Im quite an honest guy but wont go into the reasons I havnt played the last few yrs. not political but I was very good and promising footballer and achieved alot but now for a while im more a supporter.

Sometimes with all the heartache I wonder why I go to matches. It can have a negative effect. It toys with your emotions. Believe me there is alot more hurt and sadness than happiness over the years. I guess im prepared for that nowadays although I did believe going into the connaght final last yr we'd win and do go to matches believing we will win. That FEELING after the whistle then it hit me. Thats why I go. Just Dad and me there crying and hugging and jumping. I know for a fact people live there whole lives and never come close to that FEELING. All the pain and suffering with my Dad by my side all those yrs liberated in one sunday in July. I was so grateful to share that moment with my Dad especially as he had health scare 2 yrs ago. Funniest thing is he had heart attack at 11 in the morning and Sligo were playing Kildare at 7 in the qualifiers. I was in devastation and shock but at 6 that evening he begged me to go to the game. I didnt want to. To do for him so I did and it surrealist game ever. We were 5pts down 10 mins to go and we won by 1pt. Dad is fine now but it gives an indication of how deep sligo gaa is entrenched in our hearts. Not much else matters.

The only problem is Im greedy now for that FEELING as stated above now and want more success now more than ever, human nature I guess always wanting more. My bond with Sligo goes so far that Id find it near impossible to travel for a yr or move to another country Id have to be at the Sligo CSFC matches at least. Weirdest thing is my family name emblem kinda says it all. Its a black and white shield with a lion and heart. Sligeach abu.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: stew on February 24, 2008, 08:17:02 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 24, 2008, 12:01:26 AM
I never played much football and no hurling but I clattered many a ball off many a handball wall around the country in my time. Handballers tend to belong to a gang of their own and don't always feel they belong to the overall GAA scene but I'd always have a hope that Mayo would someday surprise us all down in my own place. For Mayo people it's the one topic to take over from  the weather when summer time comes around!

Thats a lovely story. It reminds me of 2002 when geezer was talking about bringing sam home on the bus from Dublin and how struck he was with the image of an old woman, standing at her gate, all alone crying with a wee flag in her hand, winning the AI meant the world to McGeeney exactly because of people like her and that he mentioned that little story told me a lot  about the man and the impact gaelic games and it's culture means in our lives.

Similar story to tell from 2004. Most vivid memory is not the final whistle, the invasion, the lifting of de cup, the speech, de drive home, but walking up the main street in Kinnegad after the team bus. Old man, who's probably seen more than his fair share of dark days, walking up de street with his little flag singing ole, ole, ole to himself. Never seen anyone more contented...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

1984 in the centenery cup in Mullingar, Westmeath beat Dublin, and I remember this auld fella sitting behind us sobbing his eyes out with joy. I doubt if he was alive in 2004, but I hope he was alive in 1995 for the minor win by Westmeath.