"there are simply too many teams in the round robin"

Started by seafoid, May 17, 2023, 04:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Quote from: onefineday on May 19, 2023, 01:03:04 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on May 18, 2023, 04:21:06 PM
Louth would have a strong affiliation with soccer. Irrespective of reasons why, they have one of the finest forwards in the country right now, and like McNamee in Offaly, Mulligan in Leitrim or whoever, they are not going to achieve much with their own county. There needs to be a way for the best players in the country to potentially win some of its biggest honours. It's supposed to be an All Ireland after all. I can't imagine the architects of the GAA created it for the dominance of Dublin, Kerry et al
Agree, it's like the Kerry senior championship.
The top 8 (I believe) clubs enter on their own, these are the senior clubs and one team is relegated each year to ge replaced by the club intermediate champions.
These 8 senior clubs are joined by 8 divisional sides to make the senior championship. Every club is attached to a divisional side and if a club is promoted to senior or relegated from senior their players will exit or enter the divisional side as the case may be.
You've got to say it works pretty well.

It does. And everyone has a fair crack of the whip. I honestly can't abide a sport that will not cater for some of its best players. The GAA are inadvertently promoting other sports in some counties by having no pathway for individually good players

Eire90

Dont these players not get to experience glory at club level

High Fielder

And that should be good enough for them? So potentially we could have the best player we have never seen because he/she is from a weaker county? Such a limited outlook and unlike any sport I can think of. There has to be a way for every player to reach their full potential

Eire90

happens in international football some players very good players have played for weak countries.

High Fielder

After reaching the pinnacle of club football and becoming multi millionaires? You mean those poor unfortunates?

Eire90

no im just saying inter county football is the equivalent of international football  unless someone creates a Gaelic football super league or they relax club rules then this will always be the case.

High Fielder

No your point is fair and likely it will always be the case. Personally I believe it could be a whole lot better. The system as it stands promotes dominance and predictability. They can tweak it all they want but the weak will invariably stay weak

seafoid

Quote from: High Fielder on May 19, 2023, 09:12:27 AM
No your point is fair and likely it will always be the case. Personally I believe it could be a whole lot better. The system as it stands promotes dominance and predictability. They can tweak it all they want but the weak will invariably stay weak
There is a hole in the bucket

Keyser soze

What about 8 groups of four?

Give all teams a chance to be competitive at their own level and with some hope of winning something.

Round robin league championship format with all 4 teams advancing to the preliminary round final. Top plays bottom etc.

Rossfan

Quote from: High Fielder on May 19, 2023, 08:57:35 AM
And that should be good enough for them? So potentially we could have the best player we have never seen because he/she is from a weaker county? Such a limited outlook and unlike any sport I can think of. There has to be a way for every player to reach their full potential

How many people outside Leitrim or Longford ever saw Emlyn Mulligan  or Micky Quinn playing?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 19, 2023, 09:25:05 AM
What about 8 groups of four?

Give all teams a chance to be competitive at their own level and with some hope of winning something.

Round robin league championship format with all 4 teams advancing to the preliminary round final. Top plays bottom etc.
they have 8 groups of 4 at the moment between Sam Maguire and Tailteann

seafoid

Kildare v Dublin will take place in Nowlan Park.
they will make the ball smaller and give them sticks to hit it with