"I suspect that the GAA in Dublin has become a very middle-class sport"

Started by seafoid, December 25, 2015, 12:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on December 26, 2015, 12:23:44 PM
In Dublin, which has a large socially immobile working class, GAA is played by middle class people, with some exceptions in Ballymun.

I suppose the question is what is different about Ballymun and whether any lessons can be learned from that.
The lumpen proletariat in Dublin South (the council area) might be a hard to shift, but the areas with more immigrants might be more fertile ground.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on December 26, 2015, 02:16:37 PM
In Dublin, which has a large socially immobile working class, GAA is played by middle class people, with some exceptions in Ballymun.

I suppose the question is what is different about Ballymun and whether any lessons can be learned from that.
The lumpen proletariat in Dublin South (the council area) might be a hard to shift, but the areas with more immigrants might be more fertile ground.
Barney Rock was already playing at the top level in the early 80s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDpvZPFW5pE
and he is Ballymun through and through
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

INDIANA

Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2015, 11:43:26 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on December 26, 2015, 11:01:12 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 26, 2015, 10:26:01 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on December 26, 2015, 10:02:58 AM
http://www.the42.ie/philly-mcmahon-interview-the42-2462306-Dec2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Working class hero , fair f**ks to him . He's an inspiration and hopefully it inspires lads from ballymun who wouldn't usually go the GAA route to do so too.

I have said it for a long time , it would prove very fruitful for the dubs if kids from disadvantaged areas started playing GAA more instead of the likes of soccer .

It's is good for the Dubs as a community if their kids played GAA, Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, tennis, in fact any sport. What is your problem with Soccer? I hate people who think you have to be anti one sport in order to be pro another.

Sorry pal if I came across that way , was not my intention . Was more in the context of it would benefit the GAA in Dublin imo if kids went the GAA route who traditionally went soccer . Nothing against soccer personally in fact I was a big supporter till only recently would of travelled over a lot to go to games etc.

My point has more to do with kids from sherif street are far more likely to play soccer than  GAA and I believe if that gets more balance in such areas that Dublin would benefit as well as the youth of such areas.

In other words break the culture of : council estate kids = soccer : private estates = GAA.  It's not a massive problem or a definite one but there is a hint of snobbery in a lot of GAA circles . It used happen down home to an extent too albeit in a different type of way . I can remember many years ago being at u-16 trials and the mentors were up the hole of lads who came from certain wealthy family's in big towns . (Not that I was ever good enough btw , was just an observation )

Soccer is too ingrained in Clondalkin, Tallaght and inner city Dublin. Its why I laugh when people talk about population bases.

GAA is king in the suburbs.
Is Clondalkin not a suburb ?

Class in Ireland is interesting. There is a definite working class in Dublin and to some extent in Cork and Limerick but it is much more fuzzy elsewhere, at least in terms of social mobility.
Because of the focus on education in rural areas, I think class is very fluid. It isn't necessarily passed on from father to son or mother to daughter. GAA players from down the country are good examples of this.

In rural areas, GAA is far less socially exclusive. Rugby would do that for you although even that is changing now.

Soccer has always been the game of the masses and always will be. Its the easiest game in the world to play. More braincells required to play GAA. And before anyone starts I attend most Irish international soccer games home and abroad.

But you can't argue with history. When I was playing GAA was big in the inner city but as it became more industrialised the clubs moved out to the suburbs. The inner city became more dilapidated and run down. Soccer took hold. Ballymun as a cLub as far as I recall was started by country people who settled there - so it's a different case in my opinion.

Lot spoken about Ballymun but a lot of their players come from middle class estates in Glasnevin and Drumcondra - which is old money regions with very well off families . Houses ranging from 500k -750k

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2015, 02:55:44 PM
http://www.the42.ie/philly-mcmahon-interview-the42-2462306-Dec2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Working class hero , fair f**ks to him . He's an inspiration and hopefully it inspires lads from ballymun who wouldn't usually go the GAA route to do so too.

I have said it for a long time , it would prove very fruitful for the dubs if kids from disadvantaged areas started playing GAA more instead of the likes of soccer .

It's is good for the Dubs as a community if their kids played GAA, Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, tennis, in fact any sport. What is your problem with Soccer? I hate people who think you have to be anti one sport in order to be pro another.

Sorry pal if I came across that way , was not my intention . Was more in the context of it would benefit the GAA in Dublin imo if kids went the GAA route who traditionally went soccer . Nothing against soccer personally in fact I was a big supporter till only recently would of travelled over a lot to go to games etc.

My point has more to do with kids from sherif street are far more likely to play soccer than  GAA and I believe if that gets more balance in such areas that Dublin would benefit as well as the youth of such areas.

In other words break the culture of : council estate kids = soccer : private estates = GAA.  It's not a massive problem or a definite one but there is a hint of snobbery in a lot of GAA circles . It used happen down home to an extent too albeit in a different type of way . I can remember many years ago being at u-16 trials and the mentors were up the hole of lads who came from certain wealthy family's in big towns . (Not that I was ever good enough btw , was just an observation )

Soccer is too ingrained in Clondalkin, Tallaght and inner city Dublin. Its why I laugh when people talk about population bases.

Class in Ireland is interesting. There is a definite working class in Dublin and to some extent in Cork and Limerick but it is much more fuzzy elsewhere, at least in terms of social mobility.
Because of the focus on education in rural areas, I think class is very fluid. It isn't necessarily passed on from father to son or mother to daughter. GAA players from down the country are good examples of this.

In rural areas, GAA is far less socially exclusive. Rugby would do that for you although even that is changing now.

Soccer has always been the game of the masses and always will be. Its the easiest game in the world to play. More braincells required to play GAA. And before anyone starts I attend most Irish international soccer games home and abroad.

But you can't argue with history. When I was playing GAA was big in the inner city but as it became more industrialised the clubs moved out to the suburbs. The inner city became more dilapidated and run down. Soccer took hold. Ballymun as a cLub as far as I recall was started by country people who settled there - so it's a different case in my opinion.

Lot spoken about Ballymun but a lot of their players come from middle class estates in Glasnevin and Drumcondra - which is old money regions with very well off families . Houses ranging from 500k -750k

Surely players from Drumcondra would play for St Vincents and Glasnevin for Na Fianna? seeing as Ballymun Kickhams as a club are located right out at the airport?

INDIANA

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on December 26, 2015, 03:11:31 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2015, 02:55:44 PM

Surely players from Drumcondra would play for St Vincents and Glasnevin for Na Fianna? seeing as Ballymun Kickhams as a club are located right out at the airport?

Na Fianna have players living opposite Ardscoil Ris which is our feeder school. We have kids who live on Mobhi Rd playing for Vincents.

You have 12 clubs in a 5 mile radius around here. Location isn't everything.

Gael85

Paddy Christie done a lot of great work with Ballymun. GAA is non existent in working class areas. Dublin county board done little to help in areas like Drimnagh, Crumlin, Ballyfermot, Tallaght west and inner city.

Gael85

+1

INDIANA

Quote from: Gael85 on December 26, 2015, 05:11:03 PM

Paddy Christie done a lot of great work with Ballymun. GAA is non existent in working class areas. Dublin county board done little to help in areas like Drimnagh, Crumlin, Ballyfermot, Tallaght west and inner city.

They have done plenty. The areas themselves are not interested or socially aren't setup for it.

GAA relies on volunteerism and as said above these communities can't provide volunteers as the parents spend most of their weekends working

Gael85

Quote from: heffo on December 26, 2015, 01:55:05 PM

Clondalkin probably sums up the GAA in Dublin - a large population centre with the old village being 'middle class' and the large council estates built in the Liffey valley direction being 'working class'.

20-odd soccer clubs and one GAA club and only occasional penetration between both 'markets'.

Unless something radically changes, the same failings will remain and you'll only see marginal improvements - you can pump all the resources you like in GAA in Neilstown and similar but once the coaches leave, you need motivated parents who will bring their children down to training and matches on a Saturday morning. From first hand experience, a lot of parents in these areas want their kids collected and dropped home.

Also, again speaking generally, Kilmacud Crokes/Ballyboden/Cuala have tons of volunteers because broadly the parents are professionals - Croi Ro Naofa in Killanarden struggle as from their core parent group, a good chunk are from single parent homes and a good percentage of the fathers work overtime driving a forklift on a Saturday morning.

What club are you heffo? Very patronising comment towards a newly formed/working class club who wouldn't have the resources of superclubs

J70

Back in my college days (80s through 90s) I would have lived in south Dublin, with a circle of friends drawn from the catchment areas of Crokes, St Olafs, Ballinteer, Ballyboden etc. To a man, almost none of them played or had any interest whatsoever in GAA. Only one who was passionate had a parent from the country who was involved in Crokes. And these were mostly middle class lads, with some from working class estates. Soccer was king. We'd sit in the pub and watch and discuss soccer till we were blue in the face. But look for a lad or two to go  to Parnell Park to watch the Dubs when Donegal would come down for a league game, forget it! Even in summer, zero interest in attending a big Leinster championship match. And having played for various soccer clubs in south Dublin over the years, there was very little crossover between the sports. Which is totally different to my experience in Donegal. Almost all the lads I played with there also played GAA. You'd come across county players in the Donegal soccer leagues all the time as well (may be different these days). I think I played against a senior Dublin GAA player once in more than a decade of Dublin soccer, and that lad was pretty far from a star player.

heffo

Quote from: Gael85 on December 26, 2015, 05:26:41 PM

Clondalkin probably sums up the GAA in Dublin - a large population centre with the old village being 'middle class' and the large council estates built in the Liffey valley direction being 'working class'.

20-odd soccer clubs and one GAA club and only occasional penetration between both 'markets'.

Unless something radically changes, the same failings will remain and you'll only see marginal improvements - you can pump all the resources you like in GAA in Neilstown and similar but once the coaches leave, you need motivated parents who will bring their children down to training and matches on a Saturday morning. From first hand experience, a lot of parents in these areas want their kids collected and dropped home.

Also, again speaking generally, Kilmacud Crokes/Ballyboden/Cuala have tons of volunteers because broadly the parents are professionals - Croi Ro Naofa in Killanarden struggle as from their core parent group, a good chunk are from single parent homes and a good percentage of the fathers work overtime driving a forklift on a Saturday morning.

What club are you heffo? Very patronising comment towards a newly formed/working class club who wouldn't have the resources of superclass

No offence or otherwise intended and I have friends in Croi who've been there since day one and the sentiments expressed above are the same expressed by officers in that club.

I've also chaired projects at club, county and national level and have had lots of exposure to both sides of the coin (not saying that to big myself up).

Gael85

Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2015, 05:13:57 PM

They have done plenty. The areas themselves are not interested or socially aren't setup for it.

GAA relies on volunteerism and as said above these communities can't provide volunteers as the parents spend most of their weekends working

Some of these have plenty volunteers but cant compete with clubs with GPO's.These areas cant afford a  GPO and Dublin county board have done little to help. I have heard county board not let clubs in their feeder schools because rival clubs have a GPO. Money talks

Gael85

Quote from: heffo on December 26, 2015, 05:34:36 PM

What club are you heffo? Very patronising comment towards a newly formed/working class club who wouldn't have the resources of superclass

No offence or otherwise intended and I have friends in Croi who've been there since day one and the sentiments expressed above are the same expressed by officers in that club.

I've also chaired projects at club, county and national level and have had lots of exposure to both sides of the coin (not saying that to big myself up).
no offence taken mate . Are you a Vincents man? 

heffo

Quote from: Gael85 on December 26, 2015, 05:37:41 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2015, 05:13:57 PM

Some of these have plenty volunteers but cant compete with clubs with GPO's.These areas cant afford a  GPO and Dublin county board have done little to help. I have heard county board not let clubs in their feeder schools because rival clubs have a GPO. Money talks

Fully understand that, in the case of the club in question, the DCB was actually heavily subsidising their GPO and they were just making a token payment, they also assisted greatly with the building of their dressing rooms in Killanarden Park (I gave them a little steer too), so I don't accept the DCB are doing nothing - I also know of lots of other instances where the DCB have greatly assisted clubs.

I'd be very surprised if any club in any area of Dublin was ever blocked from recruiting from any school - I would say it's highly unlikely that's true.

heffo

Quote from: Gael85 on December 26, 2015, 05:44:36 PM
Quote from: heffo on December 26, 2015, 05:34:36 PM

no offence mate . Are you a Vincents man? 😊

I'm far closer to home - we know one another.