"I suspect that the GAA in Dublin has become a very middle-class sport"

Started by seafoid, December 25, 2015, 12:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

From the Irish Times 2009

Some of what Padraic Duffy had to say was interesting in itself, such as his frank admission of "the huge challenge"posed by working-class Ireland: "I suspect that the GAA in Dublin has become a very middle-class sport. We have found it difficult to establish in working-class areas, where it is weak and there is a real threat from soccer."This particular issue is a major aspect of social disadvantage. Communities without material wealth or the committed volunteer base to plan and deliver infrastructure are simply at the mercy of what has been over the years poor public provision of sports facilities. Consequently the growth spurts of Gaelic games in recent decades have been most obvious in affluent, middle-class neighbourhoods, particularly in the previously untilled soil of south Dublin. Facing that implication of social exclusion is one of the biggest challenges facing the GAA
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on December 25, 2015, 12:07:53 PM

Some of what Padraic Duffy had to say was interesting in itself, such as his frank admission of "the huge challenge"posed by working-class Ireland: "I suspect that the GAA in Dublin has become a very middle-class sport. We have found it difficult to establish in working-class areas, where it is weak and there is a real threat from soccer."This particular issue is a major aspect of social disadvantage. Communities without material wealth or the committed volunteer base to plan and deliver infrastructure are simply at the mercy of what has been over the years poor public provision of sports facilities. Consequently the growth spurts of Gaelic games in recent decades have been most obvious in affluent, middle-class neighbourhoods, particularly in the previously untilled soil of south Dublin. Facing that implication of social exclusion is one of the biggest challenges facing the GAA

He'd be right too. It's why Leinster Rugby has never really taken off in Dublin despite the scaremongers

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on December 25, 2015, 07:56:01 PM

He'd be right too. It's why Leinster Rugby has never really taken off in Dublin despite the scaremongers
Long term though not good. Very few of the people who live between the Cusack Stand and the top of O Connell street, a very familiar path for fans, would be in the GAA family.

Maybe the long term structural problems of Liverpool and Man Utd might open up some opportunities.

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on December 25, 2015, 09:27:45 PM

Long term though not good. Very few of the people who live between the Cusack Stand and the top of O Connell street, a very familiar path for fans, would be in the GAA family.

Maybe the long term structural problems of Liverpool and Man Utd might open up some opportunities.
Just worry about yourself mate . Don't forget you have to come to Dublin to get a look at Sam Maguire . We can send you a postcard - since it's the season of charity we won't charge you for the postage  ;)

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on December 25, 2015, 10:27:26 PM

Just worry about yourself mate . Don't forget you have to come to Dublin to get a look at Sam Maguire . We can send you a postcard - since it's the season of charity we won't charge you for the postage  ;)
I wouldn't go to the fuball final bud. Not if it its Dubs v Kerry. Boring.
Hurling is far more interesting. 

Rossfan

Christmas has done nothing for Indiana's Grumpy oul man personality ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on December 25, 2015, 11:20:05 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 25, 2015, 10:27:26 PM

I wouldn't go to the fuball final bud. Not if it its Dubs v Kerry. Boring.
Hurling is far more interesting.

It's boring watching excellence in action I agree

larryin89

http://www.the42.ie/philly-mcmahon-interview-the42-2462306-Dec2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Working class hero , fair fucks to him . He's an inspiration and hopefully it inspires lads from ballymun who wouldn't usually go the GAA route to do so too.

I have said it for a long time , it would prove very fruitful for the dubs if kids from disadvantaged areas started playing GAA more instead of the likes of soccer .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on December 26, 2015, 10:02:58 AM
http://www.the42.ie/philly-mcmahon-interview-the42-2462306-Dec2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Working class hero , fair f**ks to him . He's an inspiration and hopefully it inspires lads from ballymun who wouldn't usually go the GAA route to do so too.

I have said it for a long time , it would prove very fruitful for the dubs if kids from disadvantaged areas started playing GAA more instead of the likes of soccer .

It's is good for the Dubs as a community if their kids played GAA, Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, tennis, in fact any sport. What is your problem with Soccer? I hate people who think you have to be anti one sport in order to be pro another.

larryin89

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 26, 2015, 10:26:01 AM

Working class hero , fair f**ks to him . He's an inspiration and hopefully it inspires lads from ballymun who wouldn't usually go the GAA route to do so too.

It's is good for the Dubs as a community if their kids played GAA, Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, tennis, in fact any sport. What is your problem with Soccer? I hate people who think you have to be anti one sport in order to be pro another.

Sorry pal if I came across that way , was not my intention . Was more in the context of it would benefit the GAA in Dublin imo if kids went the GAA route who traditionally went soccer . Nothing against soccer personally in fact I was a big supporter till only recently would of travelled over a lot to go to games etc.

My point has more to do with kids from sherif street are far more likely to play soccer than  GAA and I believe if that gets more balance in such areas that Dublin would benefit as well as the youth of such areas.

In other words break the culture of : council estate kids = soccer : private estates = GAA.  It's not a massive problem or a definite one but there is a hint of snobbery in a lot of GAA circles . It used happen down home to an extent too albeit in a different type of way . I can remember many years ago being at u-16 trials and the mentors were up the hole of lads who came from certain wealthy family's in big towns . (Not that I was ever good enough btw , was just an observation )
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on December 26, 2015, 11:01:12 AM

Sorry pal if I came across that way , was not my intention . Was more in the context of it would benefit the GAA in Dublin imo if kids went the GAA route who traditionally went soccer . Nothing against soccer personally in fact I was a big supporter till only recently would of travelled over a lot to go to games etc.

My point has more to do with kids from sherif street are far more likely to play soccer than  GAA and I believe if that gets more balance in such areas that Dublin would benefit as well as the youth of such areas.

In other words break the culture of : council estate kids = soccer : private estates = GAA.  It's not a massive problem or a definite one but there is a hint of snobbery in a lot of GAA circles . It used happen down home to an extent too albeit in a different type of way . I can remember many years ago being at u-16 trials and the mentors were up the hole of lads who came from certain wealthy family's in big towns . (Not that I was ever good enough btw , was just an observation )

Sound, Fair enuff! Touche if i came across touchy!

INDIANA

Soccer is too ingrained in Clondalkin, Tallaght and inner city Dublin. Its why I laugh when people talk about population bases.

GAA is king in the suburbs.

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2015, 11:43:26 AM

Soccer is too ingrained in Clondalkin, Tallaght and inner city Dublin. Its why I laugh when people talk about population bases.

Is Clondalkin not a suburb ?

Class in Ireland is interesting. There is a definite working class in Dublin and to some extent in Cork and Limerick but it is much more fuzzy elsewhere, at least in terms of social mobility.
Because of the focus on education in rural areas, I think class is very fluid. It isn't necessarily passed on from father to son or mother to daughter. GAA players from down the country are good examples of this.

In Dublin, which has a large socially immobile working class, GAA is played by middle class people, with some exceptions in Ballymun.
In rural areas, GAA is far less socially exclusive. Rugby would do that for you although even that is changing now.

heffo

Quote from: seafoid on December 26, 2015, 12:23:44 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2015, 11:43:26 AM

Is Clondalkin not a suburb ?

Clondalkin probably sums up the GAA in Dublin - a large population centre with the old village being 'middle class' and the large council estates built in the Liffey valley direction being 'working class'.

20-odd soccer clubs and one GAA club and only occasional penetration between both 'markets'.

Unless something radically changes, the same failings will remain and you'll only see marginal improvements - you can pump all the resources you like in GAA in Neilstown and similar but once the coaches leave, you need motivated parents who will bring their children down to training and matches on a Saturday morning. From first hand experience, a lot of parents in these areas want their kids collected and dropped home.

Also, again speaking generally, Kilmacud Crokes/Ballyboden/Cuala have tons of volunteers because broadly the parents are professionals - Croi Ro Naofa in Killanarden struggle as from their core parent group, a good chunk are from single parent homes and a good percentage of the fathers work overtime driving a forklift on a Saturday morning.