Allianz League Division 3 2020

Started by Ambrose, November 26, 2019, 05:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 22, 2020, 05:05:54 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2020, 12:10:34 PM
Teams relegated from D2 will be in the 2nd Tier unless they reach a Provincial Final.
Price of failure !

This just seems wrong to me. So a team that plays Div 2 all year will play in Tier 2 championship in the same year, whilst a team that has played Div3 football all year will play in Tier1 championship.

You'd imagine the Div2 side will be very strong in Tier 2 and the Div3 side will be weak in Tier1.

Would it not have made more sense that in any given year, Tier1 = Div1 + Div2 in that same year, Tier2 = Div3+Div4?
I suppose the terms "sense" and "Gaa" don't always go together.

I'm not knocking the Tier2 setup, I think its good that teams can be competitive. I just don't see the logic behind that qualification route.

I'd have thought the opposite actually, the teams getting promoted are in good form and morale while the teams being relegated are likely to be in a negative frame of mind

Cunny Funt

Quote from: tippabu on January 22, 2020, 07:37:55 PM
What is the situation with odd numbers in the qualifiers?

There's a few different example you could have anything from 1 munster teams in tier 1 championship to 5 teams.

Clare stay in div 2 or beat tipp and wford/limerick
Cork promotion or beat kerry
Tipp promotion or beat clare and wford/limerick
Wford and limerick - whichever wins 1/4 final then beat tipp/clare

You could have highly unlikely situation Cork don't get promotion and beat kerry, clare stay in div 2 tipp get promotion and Waterford / limerick reach a munster final. Are all possibilities for qualifiers thought about, I presume it's not a case if uneven numbers that one team could get a bye?

A bye according to what was proposed.

Shamrock Shore

A visit by Louth to look forward to on Sunday. Surely the O'Byrne Cup celebrations will have ended.

2 pts has to be secured here to have any chance of getting out of Div 3.

trailer

Big year for a lot of teams in this Division. Will Derry be able to consolidate and stay up? Down missing a few and could also be pulled into the relegation dog fight. You'd imagine Cork and Tipp would have their eyes on promotion.

turk

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 23, 2020, 01:27:19 PM
A visit by Louth to look forward to on Sunday. Surely the O'Byrne Cup celebrations will have ended.

2 pts has to be secured here to have any chance of getting out of Div 3.

The O'Byrne Cup celebrations never end!

Blowitupref

HT in Celtic Park. Derry 1-8 Leitrim 1-7.   Leitrim led 1-3 to 0-1 in the opening quarter and 1-7 to 0-6 after 30 mins.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Derry 1-8 Leitrim 1-7 HT

Letrim best in the first ten minutes, went 1-3 to a point up, Derry closed it to a point but Leitrim went on a bit of a run and opened a 4 point gap again, before Bradley goaled in the 32nd minute and Derry tacked on the scores to go in at the break a point up.

https://www.oceanfm.ie/sport-listen-live/

Blowitupref

Derry 2-8  Leitrim 1-12. 50 mins played.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Derry 2-11 Leitrim 1-14. Great result for Leitrim and probably should have won.

Offaly leading Cork 0-9 to 0-8 at half time.

tippabu

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 25, 2020, 06:39:29 PM
Derry 2-11 Leitrim 1-14. Great result for Leitrim and probably should have won.

Offaly leading Cork 0-9 to 0-8 at half time.

One of the games where yes for sure its a great result and something to build on for Leitrim but I'm sure they are coming away bitterly disappointed not to get the win.

Offaly looked like they had a great start against cork but well beat in the end, cant see anything but cork promotion

Todays games will be interesting, Longford are a funny team, they can be very good or very average on any given day. You'd think with slight momentum of winning O'Byrne and todays game in Pearce park they should have enough.

Tipp Down is impossible to call, some bookies have tipp 10/11 favourites some have down 10/11 favourites. Ill be shocked if its not a very low scoring game. Both teams without a number of players, Tipp lost alot of very important players due to travel, hurling. Down down the kilcoo contingiant and obviously Caolan Mooney unfortunately.

twohands!!!

Quote from: tippabu on January 26, 2020, 09:32:18 AM

Offaly looked like they had a great start against cork but well beat in the end, cant see anything but cork promotion

4 out of Cork's 5 subs scored 0-9.
No Offaly sub scored.

In comparison to the rest of the other sides in Division 3 Cork will be a bit ahead in terms of options off the bench.

Kingdom37

Cork have the league won. Between Down, Tipp and Derry for second spot.

tippabu

Quote from: Kingdom37 on January 26, 2020, 06:09:50 PM
Cork have the league won. Between Down, Tipp and Derry for second spot.

Can't call it yet, we lost loads of players this year, Derry struggled badly against the team without meaning to disrespect everyone expected to go down. Down should improve once they get some bodies back. It's going to be very tight and I wouldnt be surprised if there is nothing between 2nd and 6th/7th come last week

Shamrock Shore

We made very hard work of it beating Louth. Should have by by much more - but a win is a win and the right start to the League.

Will lose to Offaly next week if we play the same way as we did today.

Like to Chinese on the French Revolution it is too early to tell the defo promotions - well, apart from Cork I s'pose.

Leitrim surprised me I must say  - so shame they didn't get the two points.

tbrick18

After that first weekend, if you take Cork out of it there's next to nothing between the sides.
Teams all on a similar level, so impossible to predict who will go up/down.
2 draws certainly throws it wide open.

Derry v Down is already a must win game for both teams if either have promotion aspirations.