Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

WARNING     WARNING     WARNING     WARNING

Just back from the cinema after watching "The Life before her eyes"" with Uma Thurman - for fecks sake avoid it like your life depended on it.
Absolute dire movie, when it ended didn't know wtf was going on.

Was last movie on tonight otherwise would never have watched it.
Tbc....

Capt Pat

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 30, 2009, 08:51:32 PM
cant be added going through previous pages but has anyone seen gran torino? One of the best shows I have seen in a long long time, Eastwood is incredible!

Here is a tip go through previous pages type control and f at the same tyoe and type gran or torino into the box and keep on pressing return to see what countless other people have said about it, mostly very positive.

I will now give my 2 cents on the movie, I wasn't in a great mood and didn't really get it and left around about the time the cinema burst into fits of laughter when Clint called the Asians "Fish heads" or "Fish eyes" or whatever , I intended to go back another day at a quieter time to watch the rest of it but I never got around to it and wasn't bothered. Now I have to say I ddn't really get another brilliant movie of Clint's "Million Dollar Baby". When I say didn't get I don't mean didn't understand but was just not taken in by these movies as cinematic experinces. To be quite frank they just left me cold.

irunthev

Saw Pelham 123 last night. Good show, Travolta was class in it.

nrico2006

QuoteMeet Joe Black is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Three hours of gash in which Mr. Pitt appeared to be acting like someone just woken from a coma.

Maybe something to do with the role Tony.

Ed Norton is good in Rounders, very good show with a class end scene involving Damon and Malkovich.  I would agree that Norton is one of the best around, love him in most films.  I think Denzel is brilliant, the list of films he has been in that I have enjoyed is long, some of which are He Got Game, John Q, Fallen, Inside Man, Deja Vu, Out of Time, The Bone Collector and Man on Fire.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AbbeySider

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 30, 2009, 01:41:22 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 30, 2009, 11:34:21 AM
Quote from: tyrone girl on July 30, 2009, 11:22:20 AM
Not a recommendation but does anyone know when that "taking of pelham 123 film is out ? looks good

Denzel is in it, so it will be good.

Not saying he isn't a good actor, but does anyone else think that 75% of Denzel's roles are as an "angry African American on the edge"
(and before someone points out I know he is an African American so he will always play one in a movie but you know what I mean)

There is something a little annoying about Denzel,
He always plays a cool smooth cop / detective...

"im cool... your cool... we're cool..."
Yada shite talk...

AbbeySider

I saw Body of Lies last night.

2 hours 8 minutes of the most draw out, predictable and boring film I have seen in ages.

lurganblue

i watched Frost vrs Nixon last night.  A slow burning film but i really enjoyed it.  obviously not for everybody though as the wife fell asleep watching it after about 45 mins.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: CiKe on July 04, 2009, 07:28:55 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on June 29, 2009, 03:35:50 PM
Has anyone ever seen "Man on Wire" ??

It is a documentary about this mad french man who managed to tight rope walk between the twin towers in the 70's.
Class documentary about the planning behind it all - how they got into the buildings, rigged everything up and then actually carried out their plans.

Thought man on wire was brilliant. Lunatic the guy was. When I saw him practising and doing the stuff about 10ft from the ground I was impressed, but I never actually thought he would do any of that up there - thought it would be a walk across and that was it, but the crazy bugger was out there for half an hour or something stupid like that.
On now on bbc2.

Canalman

The original Taking of Pelham 123 is a class flick. Remake cannot surely better it.

Robert Shaw (of Jaws fame) plays the villian brilliantly. Gesundheit!!!!!!!!

Nailed On

Have been off work the last couple days so got few some films I had been meaning to watch...

Gran Torino - really really liked this one, Eastwood is a legend though I had to turn the volume right up to hear him half the time!!

Lesbian Vampire Killers - I will never get that 80odd minutes back, pity as I love Gavin and Stacey, this was just tripe.

The Wrestler - liked this one, Rourke was very good, talk about an emotional rollercoaster

Fifty Dead Men Walking - meh

Gonna watch Rise Of The Footsoldier and possibly Cass here, I am in a hooligan mood.

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Nailed On on August 05, 2009, 06:41:15 PM
Have been off work the last couple days so got few some films I had been meaning to watch...

Gran Torino - really really liked this one, Eastwood is a legend though I had to turn the volume right up to hear him half the time!!

Lesbian Vampire Killers - I will never get that 80odd minutes back, pity as I love Gavin and Stacey, this was just tripe.

The Wrestler - liked this one, Rourke was very good, talk about an emotional rollercoaster

Gonna watch Rise Of The Footsoldier and possibly Cass here, I am in a hooligan mood.

You don't deserve getting those minutes back for the fact you didn't use your common sense and avoid the film in the first place.  :P

Oh and Cass is pretty good, well worth a watch.

Me and the girlfriend rented a few films out the other night, needless to say most of them were shite.  First we saw The Children, a poor horror flick.  Second was In a Dark Place, which was terrible.  Anyone see this?  If not, be thankful and heed my warning, avoid at all costs.  The third film was The Interview starring Steve Buscemi and it was another poor effort.  Oh also if any of you hear of a film called Black Sheep, stay away.

pintsofguinness

I didnt really think much of Cass, was disappointed in it actually but Rise of a Foot Soldier is good! Love it.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on August 05, 2009, 07:19:08 PM
Quote from: Nailed On on August 05, 2009, 06:41:15 PM

You don't deserve getting those minutes back for the fact you didn't use your common sense and avoid the film in the first place.  :P

Oh and Cass is pretty good, well worth a watch.

Me and the girlfriend rented a few films out the other night, needless to say most of them were shite.  First we saw The Children, a poor horror flick.  Second was In a Dark Place, which was terrible.  Anyone see this?  If not, be thankful and heed my warning, avoid at all costs.  The third film was The Interview starring Steve Buscemi and it was another poor effort.  Oh also if any of you hear of a film called Black Sheep, stay away.
All in all you picked some winners then!  :P

Galwaybhoy

Yeah there was no good new realeases out that I hadn't already seen in the cinema so I went and had a look at some of the older DVDs for rent and we have a habit of renting out films that we have never heard of just because they look and sound good.  Sometimes this plan works, and you end up with an unknown film that very few people know about and turns out to be a great film, but most of the time the films turn out to be shite.  I'm also a huge horror fan, but its very hard to find a good horror film which means you end up watching alot of shite.

Actually we also saw Transsiberian starring Woody Harrelson which was the best film I rented at the weekend.