The Troubles - A Secret History

Started by Eamonnca1, October 03, 2019, 05:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2019, 10:01:12 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 04, 2019, 09:25:58 AM
Quote from: trailer on October 04, 2019, 09:04:27 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 04, 2019, 08:22:30 AM
To be honest it's good to a point but it is still quite sanitised. I know there are 3 shows left but it has been quite light on loyalist terrorism in my opinion. I also question the motivation of the contributions of some of them and also their veracity. The episode that showed about Loughall was good but I think the biggest question that needed to be asked was not asked. Not one person asked the question why were there no arrests whatsoever. The Security forces knew what was coming, they knew who was doing it and they could have arrested them. It was a deliberate wipeout, shoot to kill. That bugs me that it was somewhat brushed over. The East Tyrone brigade was the most deadly and it was a clear policy to annihilate them.

Who compromised the operation. Was a lot of IRA spin about one of those who was killed that let it slip. But I often wonder if the information came from the very top of the IRA.

It's quite clear it came from the top. You can tell an awful lot about people and the friends they keep ....

Those lads knew what they were getting themselves into when they signed up, at that time the shoot to kill policy was well known, so the risks were high and they were willing to die during a gun battle. who sold them out will be the most nagging thing the families will have to deal with, unless they know already

I can't believe so many of them from that unit went to do that station! Massive risk for a isolated station. There isnt as much outrage from republicans on attacks like that as they died in battle, wasnt a fair fight on this occasion but during the troubles there wasnt much fairness going on

I get that. The viewpoint I'm coming from is that this was clearly a wipeout job. There was the opportunity to stop this attack and arrest these men but the SAS were deployed clearly with an objective of all out destruction. Given the denial of there being a 'war' here this was clearly an action of war.  The murky 'behind the doors' war that was played here was obscene. This was a 'new' war in many ways. A lot of bus 'crashes' and 'accidents on training operations ' overseas happened. The IRA were not the only organisation involved in 'disappearing ' people.

lurganblue

I have to say I have really enjoyed this show, even though yer woman presenting it would do your head in with her slow and drawn out sentences.

Just on a side note lads, on the last episode the UDR lad outlined how he was attacked (the first time) while out doing a plumbing job.  Says he was shot in the chest and fell in the corridor. Sitting against the wall he looked into the eyes of his would be killer.  Next thing ya know he was running between the houses. That doesn't add up does it.  How did he get out of that house?  Or did I miss that explanation.

BennyCake

Quote from: trailer on October 04, 2019, 11:05:27 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 04, 2019, 09:25:58 AM
Quote from: trailer on October 04, 2019, 09:04:27 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 04, 2019, 08:22:30 AM
To be honest it's good to a point but it is still quite sanitised. I know there are 3 shows left but it has been quite light on loyalist terrorism in my opinion. I also question the motivation of the contributions of some of them and also their veracity. The episode that showed about Loughall was good but I think the biggest question that needed to be asked was not asked. Not one person asked the question why were there no arrests whatsoever. The Security forces knew what was coming, they knew who was doing it and they could have arrested them. It was a deliberate wipeout, shoot to kill. That bugs me that it was somewhat brushed over. The East Tyrone brigade was the most deadly and it was a clear policy to annihilate them.

Who compromised the operation. Was a lot of IRA spin about one of those who was killed that let it slip. But I often wonder if the information came from the very top of the IRA.

It's quite clear it came from the top. You can tell an awful lot about people and the friends they keep ....

Exactly. The IRA leaders sent these men out knowing that they would be killed.
Anthony Hughes an innocent man was killed that day. Was on his road home from work. Left a wife and 3 young daughters. When I think of Loughgall that's what I think of. With the troubles I think of all those innocent people who lost their lives. An absolute waste.

Yes, as do I. Did the security forces/British government not have a responsibility to Anthony Hughes and any other civilian who might have been caught up in an attack they had prior knowledge of?

BennyCake

Quote from: lurganblue on October 04, 2019, 03:03:28 PM
I have to say I have really enjoyed this show, even though yer woman presenting it would do your head in with her slow and drawn out sentences.

Just on a side note lads, on the last episode the UDR lad outlined how he was attacked (the first time) while out doing a plumbing job.  Says he was shot in the chest and fell in the corridor. Sitting against the wall he looked into the eyes of his would be killer.  Next thing ya know he was running between the houses. That doesn't add up does it.  How did he get out of that house?  Or did I miss that explanation.

Aye that was a bit of a puzzler alright

Eamonnca1

Quote from: lurganblue on October 04, 2019, 03:03:28 PM

I was thinking that myself. It sounds like a Hollywood movie where the goodie gets shot in the chest but keeps on running. I always shake my head when something like that happens.

cadhlancian

That house on the left was my grannies house, in lake view cottages in Ardboe. Straight across from Forbes shop. I was practically reared around there as a child, knew the house straight away . I must find out where he was shot , that hedge he ran through was my grandmothers garden I think.

BennyCake

Quote from: cadhlancian on October 05, 2019, 04:16:31 AM
That house on the left was my grannies house, in lake view cottages in Ardboe. Straight across from Forbes shop. I was practically reared around there as a child, knew the house straight away . I must find out where he was shot , that hedge he ran through was my grandmothers garden I think.

Aye I thought that shop was in Ardboe alright.

Main Street

I've just finished the first episode, it's good for what it is, but it's not a fluid historical account.Seeing that Para 1 was ordered into Derry and obviously given a free reign, why is there so much focus on prosecuting individual Paras? as if the actions were the result of a bad bunch and not military strategy.

Itchy

When I watch these shows my initial response is, So What?

All this collusion, dirty games, cover ups has been known for decades. Known by politicians and journalists. Known and ignored. And now suddenly its news worthy? Where were these f**kers when it mattered 20 and 30 years ago?

Rossfan

2 very reliable and independent sources  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on October 06, 2019, 08:19:20 PM
When I watch these shows my initial response is, So What?

All this collusion, dirty games, cover ups has been known for decades. Known by politicians and journalists. Known and ignored. And now suddenly its news worthy? Where were these f**kers when it mattered 20 and 30 years ago?
There are some new bits -  at least for me, curious bits like the footage of McGuinness in "free derry"
Also the humourous sarcastic references to Adams not having a clue what a firearm was about, in the Internment camp and after.

There is another audience now and they would have to be asked what do they make out of this series.

Snapchap

The IRA leadership sent their most effective unit out to be killed?

You do talk some utter sh1te don't you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Snapchap on October 07, 2019, 09:37:21 AM

The IRA leadership sent their most effective unit out to be killed?

You do talk some utter sh1te don't you.

I would query why there was a whole unit used on that job though... I'd have thought these cells operated in small groups, 4 or so, this was to stop information being leaked
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea