George Hook

Started by Boycey, September 13, 2017, 02:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

I'm surprised this hasn't reared its head, or maybe it has and I've missed it if so apologies...

Opinions? I'm not a fan of his at the best of times and obviously what he said was crass but really this have gone too far its trial by social media at this stage?

Rudi

This one will probably end Hook. A poor choice of words but the over reaction by various groups and of course the leftie bandwagon is beyond belief.  Freedom of speech me hole. He also apologised so what more can he do? Now w**k%rs like Fintan O Tool jump on his grave. Mary Coughlan walks off a show. I read her book she describes a scene where she is so off her tits her young child has to hold her breast into her infants mouth to breast feed. Yet she feels the need to slaughter Hook over a poor choice of words. Stop the world I want to get off.

seafoid

These bandwagons have lives of their own. Eric Bristow got done. There is no escape
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Esmarelda

I agree he shouldn't be trialled by social media. He should just get the boot.

Wrong choice of words? If he's going to deal with such a sensitive subject then he should prepare himself accordingly. Don't use the word "blame" George. Anyone who cares will have heard that victims or rape find it hard to come forward because they will have to have the horrible details of their attack revealed in court with the defendant's legal team likely to try to attribute blame.

He and Newtalk have deliberately gone down the route of "angry, old shock jock" with his show. The intro piece to it is enough to make you turn off. It was only a matter of time until he blurted something out that got him in trouble.

mouview

Having just read the gist of the controversy, he does have a valid point, namely people get into trouble through making poor choices. He doesn't excuse the perpetrator of the crime or condone that sort of behaviour. As you said, the leftie bandwagon need to get a grip somewhat.

Esmarelda

Quote from: mouview on September 13, 2017, 03:05:06 PM
Having just read the gist of the controversy, he does have a valid point, namely people get into trouble through making poor choices. He doesn't excuse the perpetrator of the crime or condone that sort of behaviour. As you said, the leftie bandwagon need to get a grip somewhat.
Disgraceful comments. But sure you only read the gist of it so it's ok. Here's what "the leftie bandwagon" are getting upset about. Have a good read of it there if you have time.

Speaking about a case in the UK this week in which a Commonwealth Games swimmer was accused of raping a 19-year-old woman, Hook said yesterday:

"She was passed around, went the story. And apparently she went to bed with one guy and he goes out and another guy comes in. She doesn't want to have relations with the second guy but he forced himself upon her. Awful.

But when you then look deeper into the story you have to ask certain questions. Why does a girl who just meets a fella in a bar go back to a hotel room? She's only just barely met him. She has no idea of his health conditions, she has no idea who he is, she has no idea what dangers he might pose.

But modern day social activity means that she goes back with him. Then is surprised when somebody else comes into the room and rapes her. Should she be raped? Course she shouldn't. Is she entitled to say no? Absolutely. Is the guy who came in a sc**bag? Certainly. Should he go to jail? Of Course. All of those things.

But is there no blame now to the person who puts themselves in danger?

There is personal responsibility because it's your daughter and it's my daughter. And what determines the daughter who goes out, gets drunk, passes out and is with strangers in her room and the daughter that goes out, stays halfway sober and comes home, I don't know. I wish I knew. I wish I knew what the secret of parenting is.

But there is a point of responsibility. The real issues nowadays and increasingly is the question of the personal responsibility that young girls are taking for their own safety."

general_lee

Yeah, lefties need to embrace victim-blaming  ::)

Tubberman

Quote from: general_lee on September 13, 2017, 03:28:50 PM

Hold on - all girls/women (and indeed men) are told not to walk home alone late at night, especially in quiet or unlit areas as they would be putting themselves at risk of attack. If that person is attacked, is the person who gave the warning guilty of victim blaming?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Esmarelda

Quote from: Tubberman on September 13, 2017, 03:38:30 PM
Quote from: general_lee on September 13, 2017, 03:28:50 PM

Hold on - all girls/women (and indeed men) are told not to walk home alone late at night, especially in quiet or unlit areas as they would be putting themselves at risk of attack. If that person is attacked, is the person who gave the warning guilty of victim blaming?
I made this exact point to someone the other day. Of course they're not. Anyone who has a daughter or sister or female friend but advise caution in certain situations.

However, Hook says the following - "Why does a girl who just meets a fella in a bar go back to a hotel room?" Why wouldn't she? Is she to assume that all men might rape her? How long before it's safe to assume he won't? If a man goes back to a hotel room with a woman should he be careful that she doesn't stab him or drug and rob him? Sure they could cut out his kidney and sell it too.

In the alleged incident, the man she went back with isn't the accused. He left the room (allegedly) and someone else came in and raped her. Hook's response to this is "............Then is surprised when somebody else comes into the room and rapes her." This line in particular is beyond belief. What, she's supposed to expect the fella that she went back with would leave the room allowing a second fella to enter and rape her?

mouview

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 13, 2017, 03:16:39 PM
Disgraceful comments. But sure you only read the gist of it so it's ok. Here's what "the leftie bandwagon" are getting upset about. Have a good read of it there if you have time.

I did read it Esmeralda, and please don't mistake my comments for condoning rape or the defendant, or pointing the finger of blame solely at the victim. I repeat, Hook's point seems to be valid -  to avoid trouble, avoid situations where trouble can arise if possible.

magpie seanie

I'm actually shocked anyone is standing up for Hook here. Some of the attitudes are worrying and mirror that attitudes on the thread about the confederate flag.  He should have been sacked immediately. Totally with Esmarelda on this.

For all you people who bemoan "lefties" - you know what's worse that political correctness? Blaming rape victims. Racism. Sexism. And so on. Perhaps political correctness goes to far at times but I'm pretty sure you don't want to err on the other side. Or you shouldn't. It's not so long ago that bananas were thrown at black soccer players in England and everyone thought it was a good laugh. Political correctness, for all it's ills has helped wipe that out.

What happens on social media is just noise. Hook was 100% wrong here and it wasn't just a spur of the moment slip of the tongue. A person who is raped is not to blame. Doing so provides a level justification for the perpetrator which is simply heinous in my eyes.

seafoid

Kev Myers was last month. I think it is ridiculous. 
People who do real damage to society are untouched. What George Hook  did wouldnt have been brought before the court in Nuremberg.

Drink culture drives a lot of rapes.
The courts will decide on the basis of comes from a respectable family if it is a middle class man and a working class woman. It is a f**king mess.

The bandwagon moves on to a new victim. Myers lost his income  . Most people will forget what he wrote.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

under the bar

Unbelievable that Hook hasn't been sacked. What message does that give to victims / perpetrators or indeed other commentators who will feel they can say whatever is in their small brain with fear of repercussions?

Stall the Bailer

The blame should always lie 100% with the perpetrator. No grey areas no other excuses.

Hardy

The whole episode is cynical in the extreme. This miserable ould p***k is making a career, cynically supported by Newstalk in pursuit of ratings, out of copying the right-wing American shock-jocks. As somebody mentioned, there is now a formulaic three-minute rant at the start or every show where he selects the latest anti-immigrant, anti-progressive, anti-science or general right wing cause celebre and works himself into a pseudo-frenzy in a blatant attempt to get the text and twitter machines hopping.

Then, when he oversteps the mark, his employers give him a scripted apology to read out while they rub their hands with satisfaction that the formula is working.