China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

What's the thoughts on a winter booster? I will get the flu jab. Reluctant to get the covid one now I've had the virus.

J70

Quote from: charlieTully on October 13, 2022, 06:14:25 PM
What's the thoughts on a winter booster? I will get the flu jab. Reluctant to get the covid one now I've had the virus.

I'll probably get it when I go for the flu jab. Its just about a year since I had the booster.

RedHand88

Quote from: charlieTully on October 13, 2022, 06:14:25 PM

Had both yesterday. Get the covid one in whatever is your weak arm, because it will hurt the best day!
You can't get it off you've had covid in the last 4 weeks btw.

grounded

Quote from: J70 on October 13, 2022, 05:15:32 PM
1. Yes, that's why we need peer review and replication of studies in science and medicine.

2. Early in the pandemic, people of all ages and health statuses were dying. I knew several young people, some with health problems, but others with absolutely none to that point, who passed away. I'm in Queens in NYC, so perhaps my local experience is different to yours, but my local hospital was on world news with the massive queues for the emergency rooms and the refrigerated trucks brought in to store the bodies. There were stories all over our news of otherwise healthy doctors and nurses in city hospitals getting sick and dying also.

3. As for rationalizing vaccinations of the u-12s, without turning this into a college research assignment for myself (and I'm sure it was discussed to death on these pages), my recollection is that it would offer protection for both themselves and those around them, especially old people (perhaps more of an issue in a densely populated environment like NYC than elsewhere) and would allow the schools to move on from shutting down classes (which they've done). We got our kids, both u-12 vaccinated. My son subsequently got a very mild case a few months later, but neither myself, my wife or my daughter caught it from him, and indeed we're all covid-free to date (I've been back working full time in the office and using NYC subways since summer of 2020).

4. With my work, the mandate was introduced to enhance the chances of a return to normal operations (and we were impacted greatly by covid). The institution I work for has a well-renowned medical and public health aspect, and they came up with the rules. The mandate was actually very successful in their case, with adherence in the high 90s among those who didn't get medical exemptions. I know of only one or two people who I've heard left over it. Personally, I had no issue with it, just like I never had any issue with other vaccination requirements I've had to meet, either for myself or my kids. As for examples like Austria's draconian response, never mind China, no, I wouldn't be in support of that.

Thanks for the response.

I appreciate that we probably have a different experience of c19 given you live in NYC and I'm in rural Ireland. However, the stats are fairly clear no matter where you live regarding Covid 19 mortalities. It was/still is a potentially very serious illness for the population, particularly those with underlying medical conditions and the elderly population.

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/2022/08/16/at-least-one-other-condition-contributed-to-almost-all-covid-19-related-deaths-in-ireland-cso/

Out of interest,  how do you know you were Covid free?  Did you get an blood antibody test?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40946759.html

That was a fairly recent study showing 95% of an Irish sample group with covid 19 antibodies. Co-incidentally only 2 out of the 445 participants weren't vaccinated. I'd hazard a guess there would be similar results in New York.

For me(given the known data on mortality and transmission rates in the under 12 age group), i couldn't and still can't rationalise the use of the c19 vaccine in that age group. I'd wager a lot of parents of children u12 in New York, were pressurised into vaccinating their kids, in order to participate fully in school activities.

As for worker mandates, I can't believe there is still a c19 vaccine mandate for public sector employees in NYC. Now that's mad.

Wildweasel74

Giving booster and flu jab a miss, was very sick for 3 months after Covid 2nd time, only coming round pass few weeks, immune system not up to taking a flu or covid jab.

J70

Good question on "covid-free"!

Having got the two courses of the initial jab and then the booster last year, there would obviously be antibodies circulating, at some level, through me.

What I mean is that I've never tested positive when I've had cold-like symptoms. We've a stack of tests at home as the public schools send them home with the kids periodically, so we always do a rapid test if someone has symptoms. My work had a surveillance programme where you could be called in for random testing, plus they offered free testing once a week for anyone who wanted it (they dropped the programme back in the spring). So I've probably been tested a few dozen times, both PCR and rapid tests. My mother is elderly, so I wanted to keep a close eye on it, plus I've one or two issues myself. Never had a positive result. Like most people, I'm rarely tested anymore, so its possible I had an asymptomatic infection at some point this summer, but I doubt it. Which is weird, because I catch every cold going!

grounded

Quote from: J70 on October 13, 2022, 09:04:14 PM
Good question on "covid-free"!

Having got the two courses of the initial jab and then the booster last year, there would obviously be antibodies circulating, at some level, through me.

What I mean is that I've never tested positive when I've had cold-like symptoms. We've a stack of tests at home as the public schools send them home with the kids periodically, so we always do a rapid test if someone has symptoms. My work had a surveillance programme where you could be called in for random testing, plus they offered free testing once a week for anyone who wanted it (they dropped the programme back in the spring). So I've probably been tested a few dozen times, both PCR and rapid tests. My mother is elderly, so I wanted to keep a close eye on it, plus I've one or two issues myself. Never had a positive result. Like most people, I'm rarely tested anymore, so its possible I had an asymptomatic infection at some point this summer, but I doubt it. Which is weird, because I catch every cold going!

I think your situation is very similar to most of us. The point is the overall population infection rates is very poorly understood.  The concept of an asymptomatic carrier was hotly disputed for a while and is still not fully understood in terms of the infection and transmission rates.
          Out of interest there are a few methods of antibody testing, principally spike and nucleocapsid. Nucleocapsid is used to assess SARS-CoV-2 infection rates as opposed to spike which can be used for both SARS-CoV-2 infection rates and antibodies produced after vaccination.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanhl/article/PIIS2666-7568(21)00282-8/fulltext

Above is a uk study showing Prevalence and duration of detectable SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid antibodies in staff and residents of long-term care facilities over the first year of the pandemic (VIVALDI study):

The conclusion is
At least a quarter of staff and a third of surviving residents were infected with SAR-CoV-2 during the first two waves of the pandemic in England. Nucleocapsid-specific antibodies often become undetectable within the first year following infection, which is likely to lead to marked underestimation of the true proportion of people with previous infection.

Thats from 2021 in a nursing home environment, with early and high vaccination
Uptake and all the preventative measures put in place possible at that time.

You can only imagine what the rate would be now with things opened up, and also imagine what the rate would be in general population.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 13, 2022, 08:48:20 PM
Giving booster and flu jab a miss, was very sick for 3 months after Covid 2nd time, only coming round pass few weeks, immune system not up to taking a flu or covid jab.

I've read a few things that suggest that a bout of covid provides the same level of immunity as an additional jab.  4 months worth of immunity is what I've read.  If that's true, then you'd be as well off avoiding the booster for a month or so.

Jell 0 Biafra

I'd read up on it for similar reasons to yourself.  I had a dose of it beginning in mid May, initially fairly mild, but with ongoing symptoms (particularly neurological type symptoms--dizziness, muscle tremors) that lasted about three months.  Wasn't sure whether or not I should get/needed to get a booster.

I did get a booster in the end in September.

Man Marker

It's amazing to watch those who were entirely wrong about the ability of the vaccines to prevent transmission double down and refuse to admit that they were misled.
Virtually no one who advocated for discrimination against the "unvaccinated" has been willing to apologise for it. And there are few on here in that category

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Man Marker on October 14, 2022, 01:57:16 PM
It's amazing to watch those who were entirely wrong about the ability of the vaccines to prevent transmission double down and refuse to admit that they were misled.
Virtually no one who advocated for discrimination against the "unvaccinated" has been willing to apologise for it. And there are few on here in that category
, it was hoped that it would prevent transmission... I wasn't misled...

those unvaccinated were more likely to end up in hospitals and ICUs so I make no apology for wanting less covid cases in hospitals so that hospitals could go back to treating all patients for all ailments..

Man Marker

Did you support the covid passports?

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on October 14, 2022, 02:26:33 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on October 14, 2022, 01:57:16 PM
, it was hoped that it would prevent transmission... I wasn't misled...

those unvaccinated were more likely to end up in hospitals and ICUs so I make no apology for wanting less covid cases in hospitals so that hospitals could go back to treating all patients for all ailments..

at the point in time they were introduced. yes

lenny

Quote from: Man Marker on October 14, 2022, 02:32:08 PM

I supported them and would still support them. They were not discriminating against anyone but rather discriminated for those people in society who were taking precautions to protect everyone. Vaccines have helped people avaoid getting very sick and have prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths worldwide. That is undeniable.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Man Marker on October 14, 2022, 02:32:08 PM

Are these the covid passports that were here to stay and we'd never see the end of them?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit