China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

I'm not arguing Tony that it hasn't been mentioned. I'm saying that not enough has been made of it in public health messaging coming through main stream media. I presume all this "pandemic of the unvaccinated" strategy they've deployed was intended to steer people into getting vaccinated.... don't see why a similar strategy focusing on the obese wouldn't have woke some folk up and arguable have brought about better outcomes.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

armaghniac

There is a lot of talk of obesity and suchlike, largely in an attempt to imply that if people who are ill from Covid then it is their own fault and they shouldn't be stopping people going to the pub. No doubt reduced obesity would have health benefits generally, but it would have very little effect on the Covid pandemic. There are probably other genetic factors that predispose people to Covid, these have not been fully tabulated.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: theskull1 on January 02, 2022, 09:24:26 PM
I'm not arguing Tony that it hasn't been mentioned. I'm saying that not enough has been made of it in public health messaging coming through main stream media. I presume all this "pandemic of the unvaccinated" strategy they've deployed was intended to steer people into getting vaccinated.... don't see why a similar strategy focusing on the obese wouldn't have woke some folk up and arguable have brought about better outcomes.

Poor health is correlated with obesity beyond a certain age but politicians are unlikely to draw attention to it because ultimately  it is a political issue. In the UK the red wall voted Tory because they expected to be helped  ThevTories aren't going to start condemning them.

NotedObserver

How long will vax passports be in the place?

seafoid

Vax passports are the alternative to lockdown.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on January 03, 2022, 12:03:19 PM
Vax passports are the alternative to lockdown.

That's really funny, that is!  ;D  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Only thing missing was you should have wrote it in Irish!

Gabriel_Hurl

Wheeling out that conspiracy nutjob McCullough again - is that all you have now?

imtommygunn

Where is the stat that most people in ICU are obese coming from? I had a dig round and couldn't see it. I noticed in the states there are cdc stats that 30.3% of 900k hospitalised are / were obese which isn't exactly most. There are also studies saying that you are more likely to come to harm from COVID if you are obese but that's not exactly rocket science.

JoG2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 03, 2022, 01:33:54 PM
Where is the stat that most people in ICU are obese coming from? I had a dig round and couldn't see it. I noticed in the states there are cdc stats that 30.3% of 900k hospitalised are / were obese which isn't exactly most. There are also studies saying that you are more likely to come to harm from COVID if you are obese but that's not exactly rocket science.

It's all about the bogeymen. They'll be another one along as soon as one of the right wing social media influences coins (literally) another one.

armaghniac

Quote from: JoG2 on January 03, 2022, 01:45:21 PM
It's all about the bogeymen. They'll be another one along as soon as one of the right wing social media influences coins (literally) another one.

Probably Ryan Turbridy and other bean pole people.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

It's from his ass. That's where he pulled it from.

theskull1

I'll be honest ... I heard it anecdotally from 2 ICU nurses who work in 2 different hospitals up here. I took their word given their day to day experience.

Searching myself online I found this CDC link to back up my confirmation bias.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7010e4.htm

Among 148,494 adults who received a COVID-19 diagnosis during an emergency department (ED) or inpatient visit at 238 U.S. hospitals during March–December 2020, 28.3% had overweight and 50.8% had obesity. Overweight and obesity were risk factors for invasive mechanical ventilation, and obesity was a risk factor for hospitalization and death, particularly among adults aged <65 years. Risks for hospitalization, ICU admission, and death were lowest among patients with BMIs of 24.2 kg/m2, 25.9 kg/m2, and 23.7 kg/m2, respectively, and then increased sharply with higher BMIs. Risk for invasive mechanical ventilation increased over the full range of BMIs, from 15 kg/m2 to 60 kg/m2. As clinicians develop care plans for COVID-19 patients, they should consider the risk for severe outcomes in patients with higher BMIs, especially for those with severe obesity. These findings highlight the clinical and public health implications of higher BMIs, including the need for intensive COVID-19 illness management as obesity severity increases, promotion of COVID-19 prevention strategies including continued vaccine prioritization (6) and masking, and policies to ensure community access to nutrition and physical activities that promote and support a healthy BMI.

Stay classy redhand.

theskull1

Heres a meta analysis study.
Obesity is associated with severe disease and mortality in patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): a meta-analysis

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-021-11546-6

We conducted this meta-analysis to determine whether obesity is a predictor of the COVID-19 severity of and mortality. In the present review, we included 46 articles involving 625,153 patients. Obese patients had a significantly increased risk of infection, hospitalization, severe disease mechanical ventilation, ICU admission, and mortality relative to patients of normal weight.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Thastheball on January 03, 2022, 03:26:32 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 03, 2022, 01:12:11 PM
Wheeling out that conspiracy nutjob McCullough again - is that all you have now?

Whats for certain is he knows alot more about this than you do. Nothing as bad as someone who loves trying to undermine and belittle people especially when they haven't a fecking clue what their talking about.

That's it Angelo???
Give up the ghost kid - time to wheel out a new alter-ego. This one is finished.

PadraicHenryPearse

obesity is linked to increased risk of serious illness https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/effects/index.html

how long would it take those with a bmi over 50 to get to a healthy weight? How long does it take a vaccine to offer protection? How long has it been known that obesity carries extra health risk yet if anything it is becoming a growing problem... There was many articles about covid and the high risk factors including obesity.

However, there is no vaccine for obesity. unvaccinated make up a very large number of those in hospitals and there is a easy fix for this...