China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rudi on December 10, 2021, 10:00:23 AM
Quote from: lenny on December 10, 2021, 09:52:13 AM
Quote from: Rudi on December 10, 2021, 09:38:46 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 10, 2021, 09:11:27 AM
Are people who wear masks the new liberals? When and how did this happen?

100% missing what was said. I wear a mask not an issue. Read what Lenny said, like a good lad.

Ridiculous that you're taking my comment seriously. Gmac was trying to say masks were useless because you could breathe through them easily. I joked that he should try to get ones that you couldn't breathe through. His was a ridiculous comment as what use are masks if you can't breathe through them easily, they're meant to be worn for hours on end. It's typical of the right wing nutcases though to try to turn a bit of humour into an attack on them.

My politics is right of center, I have some opinions aligned with people who are center or center left. Don't know how you can label me a right wing nutcase. The thing I am most annoyed with is Padraig & Tommy who come across as decent skins mis-interpreting what I said. That really pisses me off.

Tbh it was more gmac's comment yours and it just happened to be after yours. Note I never made any comment on your views on vaccines. I don't know them and tbh don't care if people are suspicious of vaccines unless they are for bat shit crazy reasons which when the surface was scratched for a few here turned into batshit crazy reasons.

I still don't understand your comment tbh. Who are the liberals you are referring? Is Lenny the liberal? Or do you just mean liberals in general?

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Rudi on December 10, 2021, 10:47:18 AM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on December 10, 2021, 10:12:11 AM
Quote from: Rudi on December 10, 2021, 09:41:54 AM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on December 10, 2021, 09:15:23 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 10, 2021, 09:11:27 AM
Are people who wear masks the new liberals? When and how did this happen?

and despite a majority wearing masks and getting vaccinated and boosters they are a "rare breed"... sure who can argue with logical like that. .

Bit surprised with you Padraig. Thats not what I'm saying. Read what Lenny said regarding masks. I have 100% no problem with wearing a mask. I have no problem with people taking vaccines either.

from the exchange Gmac called Lenny Liberal..  you also referred to liberals... hence my remarks... Lenny can clarify if it was a joke or out of frustration  or why he/she posted why he/she did.

Not much of a reply Padraig, you directly quoted me above & took my initial comments out of context, making me out to be some class of eggit in saying "sure how can you argue with logic like that", when I clearly made reference to Lennys distasteful "joke". Mind your manners Padraig.

how did I take them out of context... gmac called lenny a Liberal..  you commented on lenny post and ended with "liberals are a "rare breed".  I don't know how else anyone could take your comment other than people who have similar opinions on masks and vaccs to lenny are Liberal and are a rare breed.

The issue appears to me to be your articulation but I'm open to it could be my interpretation also....

J70

Quote from: Gmac on December 10, 2021, 02:18:29 AM
Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2021, 01:30:29 AM
Quote from: Gmac on December 09, 2021, 07:51:16 PM
Quote from: lenny on December 09, 2021, 07:07:33 PM
Quote from: Gmac on December 09, 2021, 06:43:44 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 07, 2021, 02:06:08 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 06, 2021, 10:43:27 PM
I wear a mask and all but unsure of the benefit of it. I would do some paint spraying on and off, minor things spraying. And u have to wear certain level of mask due to paint particles in the air. And particles from coughing etc are smaller again. Am not sure of the real scientific fact with basic masks as u def not spray paint with them.

Most surgical masks or covid-type face coverings are useless to protect you from something like paint vapours and aerosols. They don't form a seal, nor are they necessarily made from tested or appropriate filtering material (you need activated carbon/charcoal or similar for the vapours but a different filtering material for the aerosols/droplets). Surgical masks might stop a few large droplets getting through I guess, but that's not what they're designed for. They're designed to protect the people around the person wearing it, traditionally the patient being treated by the surgeon or other health practitioner so that the patient doesn't get infected by anything the health practitioner is exhaling.

When it comes to covid, its the same thing. A form of source control to lower the chances of the wearer infecting others.

Of course, you can add to that for your own benefit by wearing something like an N95 respirator instead of a surgical or cloth mask. A proper respirator will also offer the wearer some level of protection (assuming its worn correctly, clean-shaven etc. so that it forms a seal).

I've seen debates about N95s with exhalation valves. The issue being that the exhalation valve allows unhindered release of exhaled air and thus defeats the purpose of the whole masking exercise when it comes to covid. Which is true for the most part. However, if you have someone who ALWAYS wears a properly fitted N95 (clean shaven etc), then they're probably much less likely to contract covid in the first place and thus less likely to infect others and so possibly a better masking participant than the person with only a surgical mask or cloth covering.
I just bought a  50 pack disposable masks in Walgreens and when I was opening them up it says easy to breathe through on box , i billion of these pieces of garbage in the oceans too , too many people getting rich to stop anytime soon

I'd recommend for you those masks you can't breathe through. Wear them for an hour or 2 and you'll be well protected from Covid. Don't mention it.
when did you get so radicalized your hoping people suffocate themselves, another lovely liberal

So suffocation is the latest buzzword from the fever swamps, is it? Those stats must be through the stratosphere then so over the past 18 months with all the people masking.
did you read what he said ?

I missed that actually.

Now that I have, it was obviously a joke.

My bad with respect to misinterpreting your comment, but take a f**king joke man.

lenny

Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2021, 11:10:26 AM
Quote from: Gmac on December 10, 2021, 02:18:29 AM
Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2021, 01:30:29 AM
Quote from: Gmac on December 09, 2021, 07:51:16 PM
Quote from: lenny on December 09, 2021, 07:07:33 PM
Quote from: Gmac on December 09, 2021, 06:43:44 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 07, 2021, 02:06:08 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 06, 2021, 10:43:27 PM
I wear a mask and all but unsure of the benefit of it. I would do some paint spraying on and off, minor things spraying. And u have to wear certain level of mask due to paint particles in the air. And particles from coughing etc are smaller again. Am not sure of the real scientific fact with basic masks as u def not spray paint with them.

Most surgical masks or covid-type face coverings are useless to protect you from something like paint vapours and aerosols. They don't form a seal, nor are they necessarily made from tested or appropriate filtering material (you need activated carbon/charcoal or similar for the vapours but a different filtering material for the aerosols/droplets). Surgical masks might stop a few large droplets getting through I guess, but that's not what they're designed for. They're designed to protect the people around the person wearing it, traditionally the patient being treated by the surgeon or other health practitioner so that the patient doesn't get infected by anything the health practitioner is exhaling.

When it comes to covid, its the same thing. A form of source control to lower the chances of the wearer infecting others.

Of course, you can add to that for your own benefit by wearing something like an N95 respirator instead of a surgical or cloth mask. A proper respirator will also offer the wearer some level of protection (assuming its worn correctly, clean-shaven etc. so that it forms a seal).

I've seen debates about N95s with exhalation valves. The issue being that the exhalation valve allows unhindered release of exhaled air and thus defeats the purpose of the whole masking exercise when it comes to covid. Which is true for the most part. However, if you have someone who ALWAYS wears a properly fitted N95 (clean shaven etc), then they're probably much less likely to contract covid in the first place and thus less likely to infect others and so possibly a better masking participant than the person with only a surgical mask or cloth covering.
I just bought a  50 pack disposable masks in Walgreens and when I was opening them up it says easy to breathe through on box , i billion of these pieces of garbage in the oceans too , too many people getting rich to stop anytime soon

I'd recommend for you those masks you can't breathe through. Wear them for an hour or 2 and you'll be well protected from Covid. Don't mention it.
when did you get so radicalized your hoping people suffocate themselves, another lovely liberal

So suffocation is the latest buzzword from the fever swamps, is it? Those stats must be through the stratosphere then so over the past 18 months with all the people masking.
did you read what he said ?

I missed that actually.

Now that I have, it was obviously a joke.

My bad with respect to misinterpreting your comment, but take a f**king joke man.

Exactly. It's one of the most ridiculous comments I've read on here - Gmac ridiculing masks because they're easy to breathe though. That's the whole point of them if we're going to be wearing them for long periods. I was being sarcastic at a ridiculously stupid comment.

Franko

I know it's been said many times, but those on the far right are genuinely the biggest shrieking, whinging, moaners of the lot.

And it's been that way throughout history with the upper classes and aristocracy

The same people that tell folks to 'man up and get on with it' would be mortally offended if someone didn't curtsy to them properly

Gmac

Quote from: Franko on December 10, 2021, 12:36:57 PM
I know it's been said many times, but those on the far right are genuinely the biggest shrieking, whinging, moaners of the lot.

And it's been that way throughout history with the upper classes and aristocracy

The same people that tell folks to 'man up and get on with it' would be mortally offended if someone didn't curtsy to them properly
someone with a different opinion on masks or who doesn't believe covid restrictions like vaccine mandates are good for society are far right now ?
You may need a break from the covid coverage chief.

J70

Quote from: Rossfan on December 10, 2021, 07:26:59 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/grandmother-jailed-for-failing-to-wear-mask-tells-court-she-s-not-sure-if-covid-exists-1.4752239

Looks like she was given every opportunity to avoid it ending up like this but was determined to be some kind of martyr for a rather pathetic cause.

Or maybe she's not all there as the lawyer seems to be trying to argue.

Wildweasel74

Nope just another self entitled person who thinks she abive the law.

armaghniac

The Omicron seems to be very transmissible, it is all over the place in Scotland and Denmark already. There is new study that shows that boosters do substantially prevent you getting it, but two AZ shots alone are almost useless.
Even if Omicron leads to less serious illness it will still overflow the hospitals if a load of people get it at the same time.
They need to crank up the boosters if they are to keep things mostly open.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

David McKeown

Is this the account were the second post from the person is talking about how glad the ill person is that they were vaccinated?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

trueblue1234

Quote from: Thastheball on December 11, 2021, 10:34:15 AM
If ever one person's testimony demonstrates how pointless vaccine mandates will be this is it

https://twitter.com/vicderbyshire/status/1469354766560026624?s=21

Forget peer reviewed reports and data. Twitter is where it's at.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

Is Karen on Facebook redundant? :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lenny

Quote from: Thastheball on December 11, 2021, 11:40:50 AM
Go ahead lets hear the brightest minds on here  justify vaccine passports knowing that vaccinated people pass covid. I gave one example of how one vaccinated person passed the virus unto a group they were out with. A mirco snap shot of the reality. Another stark fact of 92% vaccinated in the south and still covid cases very high further evidence of the vaccinated spreading the virus. The remaining 8% not vaccinated, it's reasonable to suggest at 50% have had covid and have tgeir own natural protection. Btw at a recent case in, can't quite recall, is it Belgium (not sure but i will check the country again) Covid passports were judged illegal in a court. The sad truth is if you support mandates you have no genuine appreciation of how a virus spreads. Passports will not stop, stall nor make an ounce of difference

If people are vaccinated they're much less likely to get sick enough to require hospital treatment and are fairly likely to avoid any kind of symptoms at all. Vaccine passports incentivise people to get their jabs. That has been proven across the world. Many more young people will get the vaccine if they think they need it for travel or their social life. Vaccine passports will make a big difference in preventing our hospitals and health service from being overwhelmed by incentivising people to take the sensible option.

lenny

Quote from: Thastheball on December 11, 2021, 11:56:24 AM
You are not getting it. 92% in the south vaccinated, still passports and they are not stopping the spread. I accept the obvious in that it can reduce, not prevent, but reduce ICU admissions.

Incentives is an interesting use of a word that actually restrict peoples freedoms

No, you're not getting it. They are slowing the spread and vastly reducing the numbers who would otherwise be in hospital. That's what it's about. These decisions are being made for the good of society at large. The vast majority of society are buying into it and trying to protect each other.