China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

This is a genuine question... do you understand the science?

The thing with not trusting the science is that many people who don't trust the science don't remotely understand it. I am not saying you don't and this is not your line I know but there are people who "don't trust the science" and wouldn't have the first baldy notion about it.

Milltown Row2

I missed the interview on 5 live this morning but it was a woman who lost her job as a care assistant because she wouldn't get vaccinated, this rule is in England of course, I can see both sides to this, she is going to wait till the study is done in 2023 before making a decision on the science
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2021, 08:47:55 AM
I missed the interview on 5 live this morning but it was a woman who lost her job as a care assistant because she wouldn't get vaccinated, this rule is in England of course, I can see both sides to this, she is going to wait till the study is done in 2023 before making a decision on the science

Come 2023 we'll prob be using one of the 90 odd vaccines / pills being worked on atm, and then it'll be 2025/26. Round and round we go. As with Tommy's point above, you either agree with science and the experts or you don't imo. The vast vast majority of anti-vax people have trusted science up to this point whether that be vaccines or medicines, and their heads have been turned with social media, by a tiny minority of alternative experts (grifters).

sid waddell

Quote from: highorlow on November 09, 2021, 11:55:08 PM
All the research is now very clear that natural immunity provides as much protection from infection/hospitilization as the vaccinated.
Wrong.

https://twitter.com/profshanecrotty/status/1455263624730087424

People with previous COVID-19 (natural immunity) were 5x more likely to be hospitalized with re-infection COVID, compared to vaxxed people. Dramatic finding. Most extensive data on this topic in an American population, & over a substantial period of time.
https://cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7044e1.htm?s_cid=mm7044e1_w

seafoid

All the research is now very clear that natural immunity provides as much protection from infection/hospitilization as the vaccinated. The very widely reported on study from Israel showed its 27 times more protection against Delta than being double vaccinated.

Ireland however had literally the longest, strictest, lockdowns in Europe. As a result we have one of the lowest natural immunity levels in Europe now. Which is why we have one of the highest covid case rates in the EU currently, despite also having the highest vaccination rate.

The Irish media will never admit it, but Boris Johnson and his tactic of opening up England in July, to have a summer surge then and increase natural immunity at a time when there was no strain on the hospitals, has been proven completely correct. NPHET, our media and our politicians called him an idiot, or a monster, for it, but the UK's corona case numbers have now been steadily declining every day for 3 weeks. Which is ideally timed, just as their hospitals start to come under the normal winter stress.

Whereas here in Ireland we stayed locked down all summer unnecessarily, when the hospitals weren't under any stress, and are now facing into our peak surge in December...right at Christmas time, when hospitals struggle even in normal years..
Throw up.a few research papers

RedHand88

All the research is now very clear that natural immunity provides as much protection from infection/hospitilization as the vaccinated. The very widely reported on study from Israel showed its 27 times more protection against Delta than being double vaccinated.

Ireland however had literally the longest, strictest, lockdowns in Europe. As a result we have one of the lowest natural immunity levels in Europe now. Which is why we have one of the highest covid case rates in the EU currently, despite also having the highest vaccination rate.

The Irish media will never admit it, but Boris Johnson and his tactic of opening up England in July, to have a summer surge then and increase natural immunity at a time when there was no strain on the hospitals, has been proven completely correct. NPHET, our media and our politicians called him an idiot, or a monster, for it, but the UK's corona case numbers have now been steadily declining every day for 3 weeks. Which is ideally timed, just as their hospitals start to come under the normal winter stress.

Whereas here in Ireland we stayed locked down all summer unnecessarily, when the hospitals weren't under any stress, and are now facing into our peak surge in December...right at Christmas time, when hospitals struggle even in normal years..

*Citation needed

DuffleKing

Yea this nonsense about the vaccine minimizing the chance of people contracting covid is the biggest nonsense about at the moment and it goes right to the heart of vaccine passports, etc.

FFs Tony Holohan has publicly expressed his disappointment at the lack of evidence of this.

armaghniac

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 10, 2021, 12:51:56 PM

Yea this nonsense about the vaccine minimizing the chance of people contracting covid is the biggest nonsense about at the moment and it goes right to the heart of vaccine passports, etc.

FFs Tony Holohan has publicly expressed his disappointment at the lack of evidence of this.

But there is evidence of this in every study.The difference is not as great as people would like, but it is there.
And even if there is not a huge difference, a person with a vaccine is much less likely to impose a large cost on the health service, so they need less restriction.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Last Man

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 10, 2021, 08:28:09 AM

The thing with not trusting the science is that many people who don't trust the science don't remotely understand it. I am not saying you don't and this is not your line I know but there are people who "don't trust the science" and wouldn't have the first baldy notion about it.
You talking to me?? If you are,  its really just maths so unless you are numerically dumb it isn't entirely unfathomable. We should all take an interest in this sort of stuff.  My point which may be lost on some is that lets stay close to the science and not media headlines and click bait. Let the scientists butt their heads to work this out rather than media commentators.

highorlow

Lord Tony announcing today to cut contacts in 2 over the coming weeks.

He has some neck. The citizens have done as much as we can at this stage, no one is listening this nonsense anymore.

His credibility is gone, now maybe giving free antigen tests to everyone going to both Irish matches this week would be a better suggestion but he fucked up that idea a good while back and, like many overpaid civil servants, won't admit he got it wrong.

See Denmark.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

imtommygunn

Quote from: Last Man on November 10, 2021, 05:50:07 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 10, 2021, 08:28:09 AM

You talking to me?? If you are,  its really just maths so unless you are numerically dumb it isn't entirely unfathomable. We should all take an interest in this sort of stuff.  My point which may be lost on some is that lets stay close to the science and not media headlines and click bait. Let the scientists butt their heads to work this out rather than media commentators.

i'm not criticising you I'm interested. There's a bit more to it than purely numbers unless you know what numbers you are looking for.

seafoid

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 10, 2021, 12:51:56 PM

This sort of nonsense is killing people.

Rossfan

Yep let's all listen to a few half baked GAAboarders and ignore all them oul scientists and doctors.
Sure what would they know about science or health matters.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Last Man

Good news guys, the doctors and scientists are starting to get to the bottom of it.
https://youtu.be/ufy2AweXRkc

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on November 09, 2021, 04:04:29 PM
Wow, is somebody really saying the Swedish way was better than the Irish way?
Just ignore the death rate!

There are not many Swedes who believe at this stage that their strategy was best. A death rate of 500%-600% more than their neighbours in Norway and Finland.
In the beginning the Swedes seriously fcked up due to lackadaisical response re isolating homes for the elders and with the  response from a de-centralised health system not coordinating. But on the 3rd wave  since July, Sweden has come out on top out of all of the Nordic countries, much fewer infections, hospitalisations and deaths. Perhaps you have paid too much attention to that hysterical Irishman reporting on Dunphy's podcast, all spoof and bluster when the contradicting facts were there for all to see.
However it's way too early to have an overview of what constitutes best procedure among the Nordic countries as things could change for Sweden  but as it stands now it looks like there is a national coping.