Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: thebigfella on November 02, 2021, 11:37:26 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 02, 2021, 11:33:26 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on November 02, 2021, 11:31:01 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 01, 2021, 11:03:17 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 01, 2021, 06:36:01 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 01, 2021, 06:05:04 PM
Cases growing in the 26 counties now, there are a lot more than most European countries with good vaccination coverage. People are getting a bit careless.

I think a total lockdown will be needed before Christmas.
That horse has bolted. Any more lockdowns will be 99% ignored especially with younger people.

Hard to ignore if everything is shut. After 3 of them, you do understand how they work  ::)
Meh. Not much pointing making businesses suffer when people will still meet up in different settings. Anyway BoJo hopefully has cut the magic furlough money tree for good now so lockdowns won't be back.

So what is it, no lockdowns because no one will obey or because there is no public money for it?

Both. People will ignore it, and businesses will ignore the soon to be introduced passports.

seafoid

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on November 02, 2021, 12:32:10 PM
They will have to bring in Martial law for another lockdown. The public can't be trusted.
It would be simpler to close the borders and get testing up to scratch.

thebigfella

Quote from: BennyCake on November 02, 2021, 12:59:41 PM
Cases growing in the 26 counties now, there are a lot more than most European countries with good vaccination coverage. People are getting a bit careless.

That horse has bolted. Any more lockdowns will be 99% ignored especially with younger people.

Hard to ignore if everything is shut. After 3 of them, you do understand how they work  ::)
Meh. Not much pointing making businesses suffer when people will still meet up in different settings. Anyway BoJo hopefully has cut the magic furlough money tree for good now so lockdowns won't be back.

So what is it, no lockdowns because no one will obey or because there is no public money for it?

Both. People will ignore it, and businesses will ignore the soon to be introduced passports.

Businesses won't. Principles are easily abandoned when you livelihood and the people you employ is under threat.

armaghniac

There isn't going to be a "lockdown". Business will enforce vaccination certs, it is in the interests of business generally to reduce the pandemic and any individual business taking the piss can be fined and closed down. Not all young people are irresponsible sociopaths. They need calibrated measures, to track down those that remain to be vaccinated and to give boosters to people.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thebigfella

Quote from: armaghniac on November 02, 2021, 01:50:00 PM
There isn't going to be a "lockdown". Business will enforce vaccination certs, it is in the interests of business generally to reduce the pandemic and any individual business taking the piss can be fined and closed down. Not all young people are irresponsible sociopaths. They need calibrated measures, to track down those that remain to be vaccinated and to give boosters to people.

Ah a bit of sense but that don't fit the narrative of some people.

On top of that, those business's are responsible for the safety of their employees and customers. If you choose to take the piss, it's almost certain you won't get public and employee liability insurance, or any claims against the policies will be rejected. It's very clearly called out in the policy underwriting (for the companies I've dealt with).

Rudi

Track down those that remain unvaccinated & execute the fookers, suppose that would make you happy.

Armagh18

Quote from: Rudi on November 02, 2021, 02:21:04 PM

Track down those that remain unvaccinated & execute the fookers, suppose that would make you happy.
Getting that vibe alright..

Last Man

Strikes me that too many people in this discussion believe there is a pill for every ill. If you are that focused on your good health and that of your loved ones as you undoubtedly are, isn't there an argument to broaden your horizon. For the simple reason there's plenty of other things that will put us in the ground prematurely beyond Covid. There's a worrying level of neuroticism creeping in here.
Chill out to this for half an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-QO33hfadY

JoG2

Why would someone wanting as people as possible vaccinated to save lives suddenly want people executed? Strange take. Tracking down and addressing vaccine hesitancy I'd say

thebigfella

Quote from: Last Man on November 02, 2021, 02:47:40 PM
Strikes me that too many people in this discussion believe there is a pill for every ill. If you are that focused on your good health and that of your loved ones as you undoubtedly are, isn't there an argument to broaden your horizon. For the simple reason there's plenty of other things that will put us in the ground prematurely beyond Covid. There's a worrying level of neuroticism creeping in here.
Chill out to this for half an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-QO33hfadY

You do understand what a pandemic is?

Rudi

Quote from: JoG2 on November 02, 2021, 02:48:27 PM

Why would someone wanting as people as possible vaccinated to save lives suddenly want people executed? Strange take. Tracking down and addressing vaccine hesitancy I'd say

Thats the second time you pulled me up for a strange take. The language he used ie "track down those" is that of a fascist dictator. The vaccine is not mandatory yet, people have a choice to take it or not, to remain outside bars, niteclubs etc. So by your logic a covid vaccine hesitant person who is tracked down & talked to by lets say a GP or Luke O Neill type is going to change their mind! I doubt it.
The only things that will change the mind of a vaccine hesitant person, is a person close to them or them themselves getting a serious dose of Covid or say 2 years of raw data proving the vaccine is safe to take. 

BennyCake

Quote from: thebigfella on November 02, 2021, 01:28:55 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 02, 2021, 12:59:41 PM

Businesses won't. Principles are easily abandoned when you livelihood and the people you employ is under threat.

Businesses have suffered enough. Many owners won't put up with this anymore. Grants/loans placated them for a while, but their businesses won't survive with all that passports entail.  Enforcing vaccine passports for someone wanting a cup of tea in a cafe isn't going to sort out the pandemic. It's up to politicians and government to do that, not business owners.

Tony Baloney

Why 2 years? There is about 9 months worth of data in the UK across 10s of millions of people. Extrapolated globally (approx 4 billion doses administered to young, old, sick, healthy, pregnant) I'd say it is pretty clear that the vaccines are both safe and efficacious.

JoG2

Quote from: Rudi on November 02, 2021, 03:07:33 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 02, 2021, 02:48:27 PM

Thats the second time you pulled me up for a strange take. The language he used ie "track down those" is that of a fascist dictator. The vaccine is not mandatory yet, people have a choice to take it or not, to remain outside bars, niteclubs etc. So by your logic a covid vaccine hesitant person who is tracked down & talked to by lets say a GP or Luke O Neill type is going to change their mind! I doubt it.
The only things that will change the mind of a vaccine hesitant person, is a person close to them or them themselves getting a serious dose of Covid or say 2 years of raw data proving the vaccine is safe to take.

The Building next to me has about a dozen Track and Trace offices, all well signed. About 40 people tracking people and not a fascist dictator in sight.

The bit in bold, your assumption  is a bit of a leap. Vaccine hesitancy strategys have been about as long as vaccines have as there is a need to get to a certain level. Why not try? Plenty on the fence and a face to face with a professional might persuade them, might not.

PS: the vaccine is safe, how many billions administered? I'm due an angiography in the not too distant future though. 1 in a 1000 people will have a stroke that causes permanent paralysis after having angiography. The Covid Vaccine is in fact very safe compared to alot of medicines / procedures

Rudi

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 02, 2021, 03:27:22 PM
Why 2 years? There is about 9 months worth of data in the UK across 10s of millions of people. Extrapolated globally (approx 4 billion doses administered to young, old, sick, healthy, pregnant) I'd say it is pretty clear that the vaccines are both safe and efficacious.

The collation & more importantly the analysis of data for 4 billion doses takes a serious amount of time. The effects of any drug or vaccine can be seen over short, medium to long term. We have not reached long term yet. People have died & or have serious side effects associated with taking this vaccine, therefore hesitancy. Yes the odds of dying  from Covid may be multiple times greater than that from taking the vaccine, people still have a choice at the moment.
Regarding the efficacy of the vaccines, its much better than the alternative, however not fantastic either.

The next comment has nothing to do with the above:

4 covid patients in a hospital 3 are vaccinated & regretfully die, 1 is unvaccinated & lives. The reason he lived was he could receive drug therapy that the vaccinated could not. Before you shoot me, I heard this from a vaccinated sister of the survivor, could be BS.