China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMAC

Quote from: armaghniac on August 26, 2021, 11:09:14 PM
Quote from: Rawhide on August 26, 2021, 10:43:34 PM
What an utterly idiotic argument you are all making. Hitler would live you guys. What next the obese folk from eating, anorexia, drug addiction people who end up with copd due to the work they did. Ffs listen to yourselves

These illnesses harm the person concerned, their actions do not have implications for others, as failing to get a vaccination does.
Will you listen to yourself or perhaps engage brain before posting?

They take up beds, a drunken person coming into A&E I have seen for myself is dealt with ahead of those there to get them off site as quickly as possible. So they really do have implications for everyone, how many on the North's huge waiting list are for smoking, obesity or other lifestyle choices?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 27, 2021, 12:01:31 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 26, 2021, 10:30:55 PM
Smokers know what they are doing to themselves, but don't give a shit. Now that's an addiction
From the shape of some people on here it seems being stupid is an addiction.

I was nearly going to say stupid can't kill you or others but that would be stupid... Smoking is just nuts though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rudi

Keep on rocking in the free world  ;D

Cobra

People would scare the life out of you. The lack of intelligence is worrying.

imtommygunn

Yeah as much as I would be very pro vaccine I really don't think , and really hope, a road is not taken where people not taking a vaccine would be anywhere near somewhere like being refused care or be way down the pecking order for it. As some said here where do you draw the line. A & Es up and down the country are full of drunk people or people who are there on account of things like drunkenness then there is obesity, lung disease through smoking etc. It is an absolute can of worms. I don't see how it is a road you can go down at all.

I was talking to someone in HR about this too. Over here(well the EU) whether or not you have been vaccinated is personal information which you are not at liberty to disclose to the likes of employers. In the states people who haven't had vaccines, in certain companies, are banned from offices but aren't allowed to WFH. You go into very murky ground there because they could end up losing their job through this choice. That , for me, is too far.

(That being said some of the anti vaccine arguments on here - well tbh one in particular - is real tin foil hat stuff. I actually do get why some people would be averse to it for risk reasons etc but the whole control thing, part of the plan, the booster was how it was always going to be etc etc is bonkers.)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JoG2 on August 27, 2021, 08:10:13 AM
Quote from: Rawhide on August 26, 2021, 11:30:43 PM
You do realise when your vaccinated you can equally pass on the virus. Its also recognised the vaccine only treats one strain, it won't treat the new variants. Protect the old, the obese and folk with underlying conditions, after that 99.9% of the population will be grand.

Not you specifically Rawhide, but when I read posts like these at this stage of proceedings, I realise we'll not be out of this for a long long time. The amount of misinformation floating around as a fact is absolutely staggering. Without social media, vaccine uptake would probably have been at MMR levels and we'd be pretty much there now. When you've grifters monetising the situation and the right wing all doing their thing, it's a case of round and round we go

Worse of all the authorities totally messing around the message to pregnant women, sadly we have seen the results of that in recent days.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 27, 2021, 08:37:29 AM
Smokers know what they are doing to themselves, but don't give a shit. Now that's an addiction

I was nearly going to say stupid can't kill you or others but that would be stupid... Smoking is just nuts though

Its ok they don't affect the rest of us apparently, we treat them for free and they dont put any pressure on the health service

trueblue1234

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 27, 2021, 09:28:31 AM
You do realise when your vaccinated you can equally pass on the virus. Its also recognised the vaccine only treats one strain, it won't treat the new variants. Protect the old, the obese and folk with underlying conditions, after that 99.9% of the population will be grand.

Not you specifically Rawhide, but when I read posts like these at this stage of proceedings, I realise we'll not be out of this for a long long time. The amount of misinformation floating around as a fact is absolutely staggering. Without social media, vaccine uptake would probably have been at MMR levels and we'd be pretty much there now. When you've grifters monetising the situation and the right wing all doing their thing, it's a case of round and round we go

Worse of all the authorities totally messing around the message to pregnant women, sadly we have seen the results of that in recent days.

But was this not more of a case that the medical authorities were waiting on more data from this grouping before giving the go ahead. It's obviously a niche subset so volume of data would take longer to come through than general groupings. I think that is very different from pedalling misinformation.

That said, how this message was delivered could have been better.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

6th sam

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 27, 2021, 09:38:32 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 27, 2021, 09:28:31 AM

But was this not more of a case that the medical authorities were waiting on more data from this grouping before giving the go ahead. It's obviously a niche subset so volume of data would take longer to come through than general groupings. I think that is very different from pedalling misinformation.

That said, how this message was delivered could have been better.
Agree totally, caution around any medication in pregnancy is totally valid (thalidomide lesson) .
Earlier on in vaccination programme , there wasn't enough data to be sure the benefit of vaccination outweighed the potential risk of vaccination in pregnant women,  now with delta and hospital admissions of pregnant women, the scales have been tipped.
One of the lessons of this pandemic is that the scientific evidence is ever evolving , the scientists "at the top"  must make sure any decisions they make are based on best quality evidence. They are not winging it, and the thought that they have any other agenda, other than the long term health of the population is a totally incredible conspiracy theory with no quality evidence to back it up.
What really annoys me about this age of social media is that loaded anecdotes, urban myths, and attention grabbers can get their message across too easily.
Let's adhere to ever evolving scientific evidence, it's imperfect but has probably saved millions of lives to date ( Covid hygiene, distancing , vaccines and treatments.

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 27, 2021, 09:31:29 AM

Its ok they don't affect the rest of us apparently, we treat them for free and they dont put any pressure on the health service

Smokers have been restricted in indoor public buildings, buses etc from damaging other people. the unvaxxed should be regrarded in the same way, as long as they stay outdoors they can go where they want.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Smokers and obese people are clogging up our health systems more than anyone, we should totally ban smoking as a first and heavily tax fast food whilst making healthy food more affordable.

Anti-veggies and anti-healthy lungers are like an anchor around all our necks.

TMAC

Quote from: armaghniac on August 27, 2021, 10:57:11 AM

Smokers have been restricted in indoor public buildings, buses etc from damaging other people. the unvaxxed should be regrarded in the same way, as long as they stay outdoors they can go where they want.

Would that be a global philosophy? Should the vaccinated folk have an unremovable egg timer doing a countdown of when their particular brand is waning and should they be treated the same if they don't get a booster, if every single person over 16 or 12 in some countries are getting these and then boosters at some stage they are going to have to charge surely, there is another conundrum !

lenny

Quote from: TMAC on August 27, 2021, 05:08:34 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 27, 2021, 10:57:11 AM

Would that be a global philosophy? Should the vaccinated folk have an unremovable egg timer doing a countdown of when their particular brand is waning and should they be treated the same if they don't get a booster, if every single person over 16 or 12 in some countries are getting these and then boosters at some stage they are going to have to charge surely, there is another conundrum !

The vaccination waning levels are quite low and most scientists believe you'll still be well protected for a long time. Also let's be clear, the vaccines do not just give protection to one strain of the virus, they give very good protection against all strains.

imtommygunn

Twitter thread appeared on my timeline from some awake in Belfast account. So this person was speculating and saying some big secret about that 35 year old new mother who died in altnagelvin. You read the thread and some are even speculating she is not dead. What the f**k is wrong with people. One person replied that the husband didn't look that upset so no surprise. Seriously >:(

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 27, 2021, 10:23:49 PM
Twitter thread appeared on my timeline from some awake in Belfast account. So this person was speculating and saying some big secret about that 35 year old new mother who died in altnagelvin. You read the thread and some are even speculating she is not dead. What the f**k is wrong with people. One person replied that the husband didn't look that upset so no surprise. Seriously >:(

Probably some arsehole from on here!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea