China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: armaghniac on July 02, 2021, 08:50:21 PM
The important thing about this chart is the rapidly rising nature of the third wave.

The most important thing is the vast pool of people that have the virus. More virus = more chance to mutate nearer to vaccine escape.

Take Delta - if it mutates its binding mechanism and all of a sudden the vaccines that target the spike protein are useless.....
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 02, 2021, 11:27:02 PM
The important thing about this chart is the rapidly rising nature of the third wave.

The most important thing is the vast pool of people that have the virus. More virus = more chance to mutate nearer to vaccine escape.

Take Delta - if it mutates its binding mechanism and all of a sudden the vaccines that target the spike protein are useless.....

Tell me. Are you advocating that we stay in lockdown indefinitely?

Armagh18

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 02, 2021, 11:27:02 PM

Good luck trying to spin that one.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: thewobbler on July 03, 2021, 06:58:55 AM

Nope. I'm advocating international travel is binned for the foreseeable.

Hopefully Delta doesn't mutate its way out - but with our govt (and others around the world) being so f**king slow and stupid to react to emerging variants, its only a matter of time.
i usse an speelchekor

Wildweasel74

They should stopped flying last Yr, and even now, but too much money involved that be lost, but if we done that, I don't think this rolling lockdown scenario would have happened. We a small island with a revelantly small population but as many country who haven't got our physical barriers, we dropped the ball. And no all I see is indecision.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 03, 2021, 09:11:11 AM

Hopefully Delta doesn't mutate its way out - but with our govt (and others around the world) being so f**king slow and stupid to react to emerging variants, its only a matter of time.

That ship sailed (or plane took off) long ago. I myself was calling for this in March 2020 and it seemed to quieten down, if only Stormont had banned flights over the Xmas from GB I don't think the second wave here would have been so severe.

I suppose there is still time for this, but with people on twitter booking trips to Spain and Portugal it's not going to happen unfortunately.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 03, 2021, 09:11:11 AM

It will be. Unless you've plenty of money and plenty of time to quarantine. It is the peasants who go to Amsterdam for stags or Majorca for a holiday that needed curtailing. And it will be curtailed.

Rossfan

With at least 4,000,000,000 people unvaccinated it will have to be.
Unless there's a greedy soccer tourney of course.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

As per Paul Reid in the HSE.

Almost 4.3M vaccines administered. Over 2.56M adults partially vaccinated (68%) & over 1.8M (48%) fully vaccinated. Over 55,000 administered on each of the last 4 days, & over 272,000 so far this week.

The UK had 27k cases yesterday and 27 deaths, when they had 27k daily cases in January they had over 1k deaths. Safe to say the vaccines are making a big difference on this delta variant.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 03, 2021, 10:47:39 AM
The UK had 27k cases yesterday and 27 deaths, when they had 27k daily cases in January they had over 1k deaths. Safe to say the vaccines are making a big difference on this delta variant.

There will not be so many deaths now, but it isn't valid to compare today's cases with today's deaths, people don't die for several weeks.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Blowitupref

Quote from: armaghniac on July 03, 2021, 09:35:22 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 03, 2021, 10:47:39 AM

There will not be so many deaths now, but it isn't valid to compare today's cases with today's deaths, people don't die for several weeks.

Delta variant arrived in the UK in May and became the dominant strain in early June. The high death count in the UK and Ireland at the start of this year was the result of the lack people vaccinated.

Case fatality rate for Delta (0.3%) at this time appears to be lower than Alpha (2%) as per Cillian De Gascun.

That shows a lot of the highest risk people are now vaccinated.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

BennyCake

Don't throw away that mask just yet.

The Lambda variant is here  ::)

Cunny Funt

ROI weekly update. Case count rising how much that is to do with troublesome clusters or Delta variant is hard to know. For now thankfully the hospital situation remains very stable.

Cases 3078 (685 more than last week)
In hospital 48 ( 1 more than last week)
In ICU 14 ( 1 fewer than a week ago)

JoG2

Quote from: BennyCake on July 04, 2021, 09:54:42 AM

'They' (the cabal) are gonna run out of names for all these made up variants. We could have the John-Joe variant before the summer is out

joemamas

Quote from: JoG2 on July 04, 2021, 05:02:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 04, 2021, 09:54:42 AM

'They' (the cabal) are gonna run out of names for all these made up variants. We could have the John-Joe variant before the summer is out

No shit.

Was talking to an Fella in NY today, trying to explain what is happening in Ireland with respect to the reopening. He had so many reasonable questions that I could not answer, that I just had to change the subject.