China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on June 29, 2021, 08:40:54 AM
If, if if, if.

If, if, if, if.

And if you do all that, and keep your doors locked, they can still close entire cities down at the drop of a hay.

——

It summertime. If we learned anything from last summer it's that the virus doesn't spread efficiently outdoors. It we should have learned anything from history it's that hospitals have more capacity in summer than winter.

The Irish govt are not leading. They're hiding behind the cupboard.

Why would a Gov want to be the only ones left in Europe to have no indoor dinning?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 29, 2021, 08:43:37 AM
If, if if, if.

If, if, if, if.

And if you do all that, and keep your doors locked, they can still close entire cities down at the drop of a hay.

——

It summertime. If we learned anything from last summer it's that the virus doesn't spread efficiently outdoors. It we should have learned anything from history it's that hospitals have more capacity in summer than winter.

Why would a Gov want to be the only ones left in Europe to have no indoor dinning?
They are in the control of Big Outdoor Dining.

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 29, 2021, 08:43:37 AM
If, if if, if.

If, if, if, if.

——

They don't. They trying to deal themselves get out of jail free cards along the lines of "well wouldn't it have been worse if we had have opened earlier?" when hospitalisations inevitably rise in October. Except, based on last summer, there's no correlation in the impact between summer infections and autumn infections.

armaghniac

The 26 counties are vaccinating 9% of the adult population each week, say 4% second jabs and 5% first jab. Waiting a couple of weeks does make a material difference.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2021, 09:05:19 AM
The 26 counties are vaccinating 9% of the adult population each week, say 4% second jabs and 5% first jab. Waiting a couple of weeks does make a material difference.

A couple of weeks...the summer will be gone by then and Doomy Gloomahan will be recommending another lockdown for the winter to avoid last Christmas. MM is a spineless disgrace in this. Hiding behind NPHET in all of this too. Remember last year he said rolling lockdown until a vaccine was found, now we have 4 vaccines operating and this lockdown for pubs and businesses and GAA matches seems to have no sign of abating. I was in favour of lockdown initially, but it's beyond a joke at this stage.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2021, 09:05:19 AM

Sure why ever go back? Just wait forever.

Milltown Row2

My daughter is working in a bar in Belfast these last few nights, says the place is full of ones from down South, obviously fed up and heading to Belfast for nights out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: highorlow on June 28, 2021, 11:12:14 PM
The next 2 weeks are vital. Hold firm.

Great advice as there's quite a few not taking this seriously enough

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Louther

I've always seen the right side of the reasoning for the lockdowns/reatrictions. Like everyone been frustrated/fed up/down about them at various times but always felt it was for greater good etc.

Patience wearing thin and I said before, it's the speculation and uncertainty that bites in the week before an announcement.

The better half explains it that NEPHET will only ever see the medical reasoning and consider no other factors. That is their brief and any decision they will make will be medical based and purely about saving lifes, be it one or 100. So they'll always err on side of caution, extremely in my view on latest reports.

What irks me is that they continue to be re-active and no alternatives have been out in place such as wider testing in quick response to outbreaks, amendments to vaccine usage only now happening with change if use in age groups and shortening gap.

At any stage 6 weeks ago did someone say we have to open by 5th July what do we need to do now to make that happen? Maybe with variants that wasn't as apparent but surely forward planning should assume such a scenario and plan as if it will happen. Was any real effort made to made indoor activities safer six weeks ago? Guidance issued?

The other factor is that you can't do certain things here but can do them elsewhere without any impact e.g travel to Newry or Belfast for pints/food indoors, shortly fly to Spain for the same but seemingly we won't be doing this at home. Can stay in hotel and eat/drink but step outside and you can't.

I can wait 2 weeks but it's the outlook that would concern me. They always seem to find a reason to keep closing or not opening but offer little planning to get things moving. Vaccines seemed the magic solution but apparently not.

trueblue1234

I've always favoured lying on the side of caution with the lockdowns given how quickly we have seen it go from manageable to a mess. However I agree now should be the time to test the water. Opening up indoor hospitality to a degree is needed to keep people onside.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Nobody is dying from Covid and hospital admissions remain low. The case for not opening up doesn't really stack up.

bennydorano

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 29, 2021, 09:24:35 AM
My daughter is working in a bar in Belfast these last few nights, says the place is full of ones from down South, obviously fed up and heading to Belfast for nights out
No coincidence test the higher case rates are being found in Newry & Derry areas atm either I'd imagine, 2 border Cities with a bit of nightlife about them.

armaghniac

Quote from: LoutherAt any stage 6 weeks ago did someone say we have to open by 5th July what do we need to do now to make that happen? Maybe with variants that wasn't as apparent but surely forward planning should assume such a scenario and plan as if it will happen. Was any real effort made to made indoor activities safer six weeks ago? Guidance issued?

NPHET can issue guidance, but the relevant authorities will make little effort to enforce it and you'll have a load of publicans who want to run drinking sessions whining.

Quote from: Louther on June 29, 2021, 09:40:25 AM
I can wait 2 weeks but it's the outlook that would concern me. They always seem to find a reason to keep closing or not opening but offer little planning to get things moving. Vaccines seemed the magic solution but apparently not.

Vaccines are the solution, but not everyone is vaccinated yet. The new variant is twice as transmissible as the original, so you need more vaccination to stop it. We will have more vaccination but it takes time to do everyone.

In sporting terms, this is a bit like someone with an injury who the doctor said would be able to play and who when the time comes the doctor says he will have to wait a few more weeks. You don't want a Michael Murphy to go back playing and then have to come off again. But whatever disappointment there is, it does not mean that the doctor is trying to stop the player playing again.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on June 29, 2021, 10:08:14 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 29, 2021, 09:24:35 AM
No coincidence test the higher case rates are being found in Newry & Derry areas atm either I'd imagine, 2 border Cities with a bit of nightlife about them.

There have been recent clusters in Kilkeel and Castlewellan, hardly party central.