Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on February 11, 2021, 09:53:25 AM
Quote from: Itchy on February 11, 2021, 08:00:51 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 09:14:36 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2021, 08:39:13 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 07:25:41 PM
Anyone who listens to that quack McConkey as a credible source is need of sectioning.

Firstly, as others have noted, this is an inappropriate use of language.

On what date did McConkey make the forecasts you posted?
The death rate in ROI for tested cases is about 1.8%. Now we all know that there are as many untested cases again. But the point is that if the epidemic was allowed run uncontrolled then a death rate of 1%+ was a reasonable forecast as the the health service would be overwhelmed. Again 20% of people getting it is hardly far out, given the speed at which it spread at Christmas for instance.

Why did you decide to edit out the article that contained him overestimating deaths by about 4,000%?

He has zero credibility on this, he has been wrong on about every proclamation he has made. How he still gets a platform to drive his dose of fear on national media is incredible.

Angelo, I completely agree with you on McConkey. He should be kept off the airways. Everything he has said has proven to be bullshit. How he is never challenged by anyone on the media on his false predictions I dont know. The other day on Matt Cooper was an embarassment for Irish Journalism, letting him spout utter bullshit unchallenged. I also have a big problem with Holohan who is trying to reinvent himself after the cervical smear debacle. These guys are loving the limelight. What should be happening is that they give their advice to government behind closed doors, government weighs it up with all the other advice (mental health, children welfare, job losses etc) and then makes the best appropriate decision. Instead these NPHET people have been allowed to effectively run the country by media. Its incredible. And I am not a COVID denier, its a dangerous disease but my issue is there is no evident balance at the moment.

I'm not racist but......

Thats a really smart comment Rossfan, you are the quare smart fella.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 11, 2021, 10:12:39 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56019995

Prof Peacock told Newscast that while it is normal to see variants only a very small number have "special features". These can make them more transmissible, avoid the immune response and affect vaccination, or have the potential to cause more severe disease.

"These are the things we are looking out for. I'd say it happens vanishingly rarely but we have to be on the look out for it," the expert, who was previously director of the government's National Infection Service, said.

Lets get a big headline in the news, then use this comment at the end?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

The more this goes on the more concerned I am about politicians and media than I am about the virus. Here's what should be done in my opinion...

- McConkey, Holohan and the rest, told to report direct to government with their advice. Get them off the TV and the late late show. They do not speak for the government.
- We need need some proper leadership from Michael Martin, he is sadly lacking in this but he would want to sort himself out quickly.
- An appeal to media to start reporting sensibly. Fear sells and dont they know it.
- An appeal to the opposition to start action responsibly. We are in a pandemic which requires risk v reward thinking. We cannot possibly save every person in the country from COVID. People need to understand that and opposition need to stop enflaming it. Likewise supporting greedy self serving groups like ASTI who are now starting to talk about pay.
- Government, media, opposition, layout the reality of the situation and be honest with people.

If we continue the way we are going we will never get out of this Level 3 to Level 5 cycle cos Holohan and McConkey and the ASTI and others will tells us the world will never be safe again. We need to start living again for the sake of our kids.

Rossfan

Ignore medical advice and then complain that the Covid won't go away ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

@Itchy

The more this goes on the more concerned I am about politicians and media than I am about the virus.

It seems you're concerned about politicians and media for entirely the wrong reasons

Here's what should be done in my opinion...

- McConkey, Holohan and the rest, told to report direct to government with their advice.

Holohan does report to government

Why should McConkey do so? He's not on NPHET

Get them off the TV and the late late show.

Why? Isn't that censorship?

They do not speak for the government.

You want North Korean style TV?

- We need need some proper leadership from Michael Martin, he is sadly lacking in this but he would want to sort himself out quickly.

Yeah, but it's pretty obvious the "proper leadership" you want would be a lot worse than the current leadership because you want to totally ignore the epidemiological reality

- An appeal to media to start reporting sensibly.

Another call for censorship from you

Fear sells and dont they know it.

Fear is extremely rational currently, why would you think it isn't?

- An appeal to the opposition to start action responsibly.

What's "responsibly"? This is a vacuous inanity

We are in a pandemic which requires risk v reward thinking.

This is a vacuous inanity

We cannot possibly save every person in the country from COVID.

People need to understand that and opposition need to stop enflaming it.

Likewise supporting greedy self serving groups like ASTI who are now starting to talk about pay.

Yeah, because the teachers are the real problem here, or something something, deary me

- Government, media, opposition, layout the reality of the situation and be honest with people.

Earlier in this post you wanted censorship

If we continue the way we are going we will never get out of this Level 3 to Level 5 cycle cos Holohan and McConkey and the ASTI and others will tells us the world will never be safe again.

If we continue as we are going we may not get out of it - but for the exact opposite reasons to what you think

We need to start living again for the sake of our kids.

Everybody wants to start living again - but we can't do so until we have a plan which deals with the epidemiological reality

We can't do so until we have a plan which crushes Covid and keeps it crushed

Nowhere in this post have you addressed this reality

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on February 11, 2021, 11:46:24 AM

You do know there is more medical advice than just Nephet dont you? Using stupid emojis and smart arsed short replies doesnt make you clever lad. Lets hear the data on the people who are getting serious cancer diagnoses as a result of cancelled cancelled tests, lets hear about the suicide number increases, lets hear the stats on childhood depression and anxiety. Lets hear about all the job losses and how you will be paying back your covid payment once you do get a job.

Why do you only want to listen to only the information coming from St Tony? Especially when his track record is far from unblemished. If you cannot see his group has only one blinkered view on this topic which effects every walk of then I am not sure what anyone can do for you except to tell you to find a cave in Roscommon and get used to finishing your years in it cos the risk will never be zero.

Itchy

Quote from: sid waddell on February 11, 2021, 12:06:30 PM
@Itchy

The more this goes on the more concerned I am about politicians and media than I am about the virus.

It seems you're concerned about politicians and media for entirely the wrong reasons

Here's what should be done in my opinion...

- McConkey, Holohan and the rest, told to report direct to government with their advice.

Holohan does report to government

Why should McConkey do so? He's not on NPHET

Get them off the TV and the late late show.

Why? Isn't that censorship?

They do not speak for the government.

You want North Korean style TV?

Yeah, but it's pretty obvious the "proper leadership" you want would be a lot worse than the current leadership because you want to totally ignore the epidemiological reality

- An appeal to media to start reporting sensibly.

Another call for censorship from you

Fear sells and dont they know it.

Fear is extremely rational currently, why would you think it isn't?

- An appeal to the opposition to start action responsibly.

What's "responsibly"? This is a vacuous inanity

We are in a pandemic which requires risk v reward thinking.

We cannot possibly save every person in the country from COVID.

People need to understand that and opposition need to stop enflaming it.

Likewise supporting greedy self serving groups like ASTI who are now starting to talk about pay.

Yeah, because the teachers are the real problem here, or something something, deary me

Earlier in this post you wanted censorship

If we continue the way we are going we will never get out of this Level 3 to Level 5 cycle cos Holohan and McConkey and the ASTI and others will tells us the world will never be safe again.

If we continue as we are going we may not get out of it - but for the exact opposite reasons to what you think

We need to start living again for the sake of our kids.

Everybody wants to start living again - but we can't do so until we have a plan which deals with the epidemiological reality

We can't do so until we have a plan which crushes Covid and keeps it crushed

Nowhere in this post have you addressed this reality

SID - you are not a person I am interested in debating with on any subject based on your form here on a number of threads. So do me a favour and please dont engage with me thanks.

sid waddell

Good points Itchy, well made

I am now suitably chastened by that outpointing

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on February 11, 2021, 12:10:44 PM
You do know there is more medical advice than just Nephet dont you? Using stupid emojis and smart arsed short replies doesnt make you clever lad. Lets hear the data on the people who are getting serious cancer diagnoses as a result of cancelled cancelled tests, lets hear about the suicide number increases, lets hear the stats on childhood depression and anxiety. Lets hear about all the job losses and how you will be paying back your covid payment once you do get a job.

Here we have the cancer people again. The only way we can improve treatment for people with other health conditions is to reduce the pressure on the health service, which means reducing Covid. Anyone who claims that easing restrictions will help cancer patients is talking dangerous nonsense. Depression etc is a bit more complicated, but the feeling that you may get a disease and that other people do not care if they give it you is going to depress a lot of people, whatever the government does.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Angelo

Why do you only want to listen to only the information coming from St Tony? Especially when his track record is far from unblemished. If you cannot see his group has only one blinkered view on this topic which effects every walk of then I am not sure what anyone can do for you except to tell you to find a cave in Roscommon and get used to finishing your years in it cos the risk will never be zero.

Spot on.

Expect to have those points ignored and have to deal with loads of personal insults and characterisations as a result though.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: armaghniac on February 11, 2021, 12:27:07 PM

Here we have the cancer people again. The only way we can improve treatment for people with other health conditions is to reduce the pressure on the health service, which means reducing Covid. Anyone who claims that easing restrictions will help cancer patients is talking dangerous nonsense. Depression etc is a bit more complicated, but the feeling that you may get a disease and that other people do not care if they give it you is going to depress a lot of people, whatever the government does.

Why is there a reduction in breast cancer screenings?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trueblue1234

The cancer assessments and depression issues are very true and absolutely should be a focus and discussed in addition to Covid. But the problem with Covid is that it got so wide spread that it affects the ability of the HSE/ NHS to deal with other illnesses. When it's allowed to run freely the health services can't cope and are over run. When the health services are over run more people die, not just from Covid but from all illnesses.
I do believe there should be more focus on elective surgery and plans to deal with Cancer assessments, etc. But I think they are doing what they are capable of. The easiest way to take pressure of the health trusts is to reduce Covid. Reducing Covid means we have to deal with restrictions. And I think this is what the medical professionals are trying to get across. Once numbers drop there is an automatic reaction by the public to get restrictions lifted (Understandably). I suppose these people are trying to provide that balance so we don't lose the run of ourself again.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

+1.
In the 26 Taoiseach gave us "leadership" and we started "living" in December.
Result...as many if not more cases in January than March to December 2020 inclusive.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 11, 2021, 12:36:23 PM

The cancer assessments and depression issues are very true and absolutely should be a focus and discussed in addition to Covid. But the problem with Covid is that it got so wide spread that it affects the ability of the HSE/ NHS to deal with other illnesses. When it's allowed to run freely the health services can't cope and are over run. When the health services are over run more people die, not just from Covid but from all illnesses.
I do believe there should be more focus on elective surgery and plans to deal with Cancer assessments, etc. But I think they are doing what they are capable of. The easiest way to take pressure of the health trusts is to reduce Covid. Reducing Covid means we have to deal with restrictions. And I think this is what the medical professionals are trying to get across. Once numbers drop there is an automatic reaction by the public to get restrictions lifted (Understandably). I suppose these people are trying to provide that balance so we don't lose the run of ourself again.

The public/media were hammering NPHET last year wen they suggested we keep the lockdown over xmas and were demanding the country be opened up in December. The government backed down and we ended up in the current situation. It's easy to criticise NPHET/government for what they've done but alot of people don't seem to realise it was our own actions that got us into this mess.

One positive during the covid restrictions is the likes of the vintners and restaurant lobby groups haven't been on the news regularly demanding they be allowed open up. Listening to some of their claims that they know how to deal with covid you would think they know more than the medical professionals