Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2021, 03:50:32 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 02:58:24 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 10, 2021, 02:34:46 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 02:13:18 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 10, 2021, 02:10:17 PM
Quote from: Seamus on February 10, 2021, 02:02:39 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 12:35:00 PM
The debate we should be having is on what is the greater good but the lockdown nutters will not countenance this discussion.

I think the lockdown nutters are either extremely naive and gullible or mentally unwell. It seems that the chief medical officers and celebrity scientists have now taken over the role of parish priests and bishops in being completely infallible and having cult like following from the lockdown nutters.

You are describing poor old Sid there.
Mentally I have indeed found the last few weeks challenging given that my father was dying from hospital acquired Covid and then died from it

I think I'm doing alright considering, but still have a challenging period to navigate

You and Angelo obviously find that worthy of ridicule though - which fairly obliterates your fake "concern" for mental health, doesn't it

Sorry for your loss Sid.

I have spoken at length that the hospital transmission rates are absolutely scandalous and it is scandalous that the govt and HSE have ignored the continued warnings about the spread of Covid in hospital settings. The fact that over 50% of Covid related deaths in the south occurred in nursing homes is also scandalous.
Hospital transmission rates are a direct function of rampant community spread - and nothing else

As is the case with spread in nursing homes

Why? Because the people who work in hospitals live in the community - across the road from me, four nurses live together in the same house

Once one of them gets it, they will inadvertantly bring it into the hospital, and Covid spreads both through close contact and through the air

Hospital and nursing home patients require close contact, and they also have to breath air

And good as the sort of masks used in hospitals are, the air that staff breath out still has to go somewhere

The actual scandal is the narrative we could open up without a plan without serious outbreaks in hospitals and nursing homes occurring

That narrative was allowed to spread like wildfire

Policy in Ireland has cowed far too much to vested interests like business, who demanded opening up without having a clue what they are talking about

Public health experts and actual epidemology experts have been marginalised since last summer, and instead the government took the Homer Simpson approach

Actual policy that was proven to work was dismissed - "if something is difficult, it's not worth doing"

This has been a general failure in Europe and the west - on this theme I again encourage people to read Naomi O'Leary's Irish Times article from October 31st - she has been one of the most cogent writers about this crisis throughout
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/the-west-has-failed-us-and-europe-have-made-a-mess-of-handling-the-crisis-1.4395473

And so we all end up in a much more a difficult position - and the people that are now crying about the effects of lockdowns refuse to have the decency to face up to the fact that the position we are currently in and have had to suffer since summer is the actual result of what they were screaming for

These were political decisions by politicians who only have the ability to think in the short term

In fact if we had listened to the anti-lockdown, anti-plan crackpots like you we would be in a much, much worse position than the already very bad position we are in

The INMO do not see it that way and laid the blame solely at the feet of the HSE and govt. They said their concerns were ignored for months and month regarding PPE and distancing between beds, use of private hospitals etc. The PPE problems were still an issue up until last month.

Rapid testing was only introduced to hospitals in the south last week and that is absolutely scandalous when you look at the levels of transmission in a hospital setting. The only person I know of personally that has died from Covid was an 83 year old man who picked it up in hospital while in for blood transfusions he has to get due to some underlying health issue he has.

If the proper PPE, proper additional resources to healthcare capacity and quicker introduction of rapid testing to hospitals and care home facilities were introduced the number of deaths would have been significantly lower, irrespective of the level of infection in the community.

Over 50% alone are from nursing homes, the vulnerable people have been failed by the state and the health executive and that is the big scandal.

The common man has to suffer the implications of lockdown on their employment, their finances and their mental and physical wellbeing because those in charge messed up the handling of this crisis and where is the accountability for that?

There are a lot of If's

King of hindsight, everyone knows that the government fucked it up, everyone knows the nursing homes were under prepared and sending sick infected patients back into the nursing homes caused (still in cases) untold deaths, not that you are concerned with that, as according to your mindset, they are, on average, only going to be there for a year..

Had we had you, king of the keyboards on the job or you had the ear of anyone outside of your single bed bedroom to help in these matters we'd be in a lot better shape.

Rapid testing wasn't always available, brilliant that it is used now. PPE wasn't available as the world was looking for it, getting your hands on it at the start was difficult, by then the horse had bolted.

The borders should have been closed along with the airports at the start, I was wary of that at the time as I didn't in fairness have the hindsight of how this was going to turn out.

I reckon you smell your own shit and think it smells great

Surely rapid testing, irrespective of its reliability should have been introduced at the first stage of availability in order to minimise the risk of covid transmissions in hospital. Surely no money should have been spared to make sure all frontline staff were adequately protected with PPE, to stop infection and staff shortages. There were failings on a catastrophic levels.

Nice snide dig about people with keyboards. High ranking elected officials and high rank civil servants are paid the big money to get these decisions right, not only did they get it wrong, they got it wrong to catastrophic levels and should be held to account.

The narrative seems to be that the CMOs, health service and govt officials are above questioning on the things they have got badly wrong. They have no problem enforcing lockdowns, laying people off, shutting down business and services, restricting us from seeing our friends and loved ones but they cannot introduce regulations and provisions that would give frontline workers the adequate supports to carry out their job.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Louther

Angelo, just keep ignoring that the reasoning HSE and IMNO are under such pressure is cause of increased community conditions that come from reduce conditions.

By your logic, we should lock everyone away over the age of 60 and those under 60 with vulnerable conditions including asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure etc ( common much? ) - let these people stay out of the way and let the rest of us get on with it. Sure we may get covid and be ok, sure we may get sick and require hospitalisation but we can just move those out without covid and let us been seen first.

Anyone over 60 can watch the world through their windows and we'll throw them the odd bone. To hell with anyone's mental health in that situation. Survival of the fitness lads, you'll all die anyway.

I'm having a good time and that's all that matters.

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on February 10, 2021, 04:39:26 PM
Angelo, just keep ignoring that the reasoning HSE and IMNO are under such pressure is cause of increased community conditions that come from reduce conditions.

By your logic, we should lock everyone away over the age of 60 and those under 60 with vulnerable conditions including asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure etc ( common much? ) - let these people stay out of the way and let the rest of us get on with it. Sure we may get covid and be ok, sure we may get sick and require hospitalisation but we can just move those out without covid and let us been seen first.

Anyone over 60 can watch the world through their windows and we'll throw them the odd bone. To hell with anyone's mental health in that situation. Survival of the fitness lads, you'll all die anyway.

You keep ignoring what the INMO have said.

They have directly pointed the finger of blame at the govt and HSE for the spread of Covid in hospitals.

Why don't you have the same vigour for the 1.3m road deaths every year. Why is it acceptable they die but people have to forego their liveilhoods jobs, financial security, frienships, support services etc for one virus.

Go out and kill someone on the road, we don't care but don't you dare pass on Covid to someone.

Such an utter hypocrite.

armaghniac

When we become 60 and have high blood pressure, which won't be long for some of us, will we still be allowed post on Gaaboard?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 04:35:18 PM
The debate we should be having is on what is the greater good but the lockdown nutters will not countenance this discussion.

I think the lockdown nutters are either extremely naive and gullible or mentally unwell. It seems that the chief medical officers and celebrity scientists have now taken over the role of parish priests and bishops in being completely infallible and having cult like following from the lockdown nutters.

Mentally I have indeed found the last few weeks challenging given that my father was dying from hospital acquired Covid and then died from it

I think I'm doing alright considering, but still have a challenging period to navigate

You and Angelo obviously find that worthy of ridicule though - which fairly obliterates your fake "concern" for mental health, doesn't it

Sorry for your loss Sid.

I have spoken at length that the hospital transmission rates are absolutely scandalous and it is scandalous that the govt and HSE have ignored the continued warnings about the spread of Covid in hospital settings. The fact that over 50% of Covid related deaths in the south occurred in nursing homes is also scandalous.
Hospital transmission rates are a direct function of rampant community spread - and nothing else

Why? Because the people who work in hospitals live in the community - across the road from me, four nurses live together in the same house

Once one of them gets it, they will inadvertantly bring it into the hospital, and Covid spreads both through close contact and through the air

Hospital and nursing home patients require close contact, and they also have to breath air

And good as the sort of masks used in hospitals are, the air that staff breath out still has to go somewhere

The actual scandal is the narrative we could open up without a plan without serious outbreaks in hospitals and nursing homes occurring

Policy in Ireland has cowed far too much to vested interests like business, who demanded opening up without having a clue what they are talking about

Public health experts and actual epidemology experts have been marginalised since last summer, and instead the government took the Homer Simpson approach

Actual policy that was proven to work was dismissed - "if something is difficult, it's not worth doing"

This has been a general failure in Europe and the west - on this theme I again encourage people to read Naomi O'Leary's Irish Times article from October 31st - she has been one of the most cogent writers about this crisis throughout
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/the-west-has-failed-us-and-europe-have-made-a-mess-of-handling-the-crisis-1.4395473

And so we all end up in a much more a difficult position - and the people that are now crying about the effects of lockdowns refuse to have the decency to face up to the fact that the position we are currently in and have had to suffer since summer is the actual result of what they were screaming for

These were political decisions by politicians who only have the ability to think in the short term

In fact if we had listened to the anti-lockdown, anti-plan crackpots like you we would be in a much, much worse position than the already very bad position we are in

The INMO do not see it that way and laid the blame solely at the feet of the HSE and govt. They said their concerns were ignored for months and month regarding PPE and distancing between beds, use of private hospitals etc. The PPE problems were still an issue up until last month.

Rapid testing was only introduced to hospitals in the south last week and that is absolutely scandalous when you look at the levels of transmission in a hospital setting. The only person I know of personally that has died from Covid was an 83 year old man who picked it up in hospital while in for blood transfusions he has to get due to some underlying health issue he has.

If the proper PPE, proper additional resources to healthcare capacity and quicker introduction of rapid testing to hospitals and care home facilities were introduced the number of deaths would have been significantly lower, irrespective of the level of infection in the community.

Over 50% alone are from nursing homes, the vulnerable people have been failed by the state and the health executive and that is the big scandal.

The common man has to suffer the implications of lockdown on their employment, their finances and their mental and physical wellbeing because those in charge messed up the handling of this crisis and where is the accountability for that?

There are a lot of If's

King of hindsight, everyone knows that the government fucked it up, everyone knows the nursing homes were under prepared and sending sick infected patients back into the nursing homes caused (still in cases) untold deaths, not that you are concerned with that, as according to your mindset, they are, on average, only going to be there for a year..

Had we had you, king of the keyboards on the job or you had the ear of anyone outside of your single bed bedroom to help in these matters we'd be in a lot better shape.

Rapid testing wasn't always available, brilliant that it is used now. PPE wasn't available as the world was looking for it, getting your hands on it at the start was difficult, by then the horse had bolted.

The borders should have been closed along with the airports at the start, I was wary of that at the time as I didn't in fairness have the hindsight of how this was going to turn out.

Surely rapid testing, irrespective of its reliability should have been introduced at the first stage of availability in order to minimise the risk of covid transmissions in hospital. Surely no money should have been spared to make sure all frontline staff were adequately protected with PPE, to stop infection and staff shortages. There were failings on a catastrophic levels.

Nice snide dig about people with keyboards. High ranking elected officials and high rank civil servants are paid the big money to get these decisions right, not only did they get it wrong, they got it wrong to catastrophic levels and should be held to account.

The narrative seems to be that the CMOs, health service and govt officials are above questioning on the things they have got badly wrong. They have no problem enforcing lockdowns, laying people off, shutting down business and services, restricting us from seeing our friends and loved ones but they cannot introduce regulations and provisions that would give frontline workers the adequate supports to carry out their job.

They should and hopefully will be held accountable, that's not going to solve the problems we have now!

You're talking about stuff that they were ill prepared for even though they had a plan in place to deal with it, they neither acted on the plan nor had the PPE, staff, bravery or balls to actually close the place down and kill the transmissions at the start!

No lets have Cheltenham and football and CL games going on, opened up air avenues for everyone to bring it in. How they have the cheek now to enforce the travel bans and force people into 'covid hotels' is beyond me.

Nothing you have said on this anyone will disagree with (for a change) but the horse bolted the gates stayed open and they were not prepared
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2021, 04:47:20 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 04:35:18 PM

Sorry for your loss Sid.

There are a lot of If's

They should and hopefully will be held accountable, that's not going to solve the problems we have now!

You're talking about stuff that they were ill prepared for even though they had a plan in place to deal with it, they neither acted on the plan nor had the PPE, staff, bravery or balls to actually close the place down and kill the transmissions at the start!

No lets have Cheltenham and football and CL games going on, opened up air avenues for everyone to bring it in. How they have the cheek now to enforce the travel bans and force people into 'covid hotels' is beyond me.

Nothing you have said on this anyone will disagree with (for a change) but the horse bolted the gates stayed open and they were not prepared

It could have solved a lot of problems back then. Minimal coverage has been given to these failings, so we now have a culture where it's ok for those tasked with managing this crisis with free reign to make mistakes and not act in the public interest.

Would providing proper PPE and introducing rapid testing to hospitals a lot earlier not have served a far greater benefit to society as a whole than laying people off, shutting schools down, closing business and supports services for people with mental and physical disabilities?

Louther

Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2021, 04:44:49 PM

When we become 60 and have high blood pressure, which won't be long for some of us, will we still be allowed post on Gaaboard?

As a birthday present and by way of compensation for been locked away from that day, you get VIP access to Gaaboard - it's a secret chat room where you get to talk to yourself. Few posters already banned from it after reporting themselves.

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 04:42:35 PM

They have directly pointed the finger of blame at the govt and HSE for the spread of Covid in hospitals.

Why don't you have the same vigour for the 1.3m road deaths every year. Why is it acceptable they die but people have to forego their liveilhoods jobs, financial security, frienships, support services etc for one virus.

Go out and kill someone on the road, we don't care but don't you dare pass on Covid to someone.

Such an utter hypocrite.

Flu 2017/18 is so last year. It's road deaths now, I see another .3m have died since your last post on road deaths some 20 mins ago.

You've no shame trying to make yourself sound right by throwing round death figures as a way of justifying your own self entitlement to do what you want and to hell with the rest.

And for your record there was 141 road deaths in ROI in 2020, each equally tragic. Was above that in a few days with Covid in January. Fair play a very valid comparison.  ::)

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on February 10, 2021, 04:57:20 PM

Such an utter hypocrite.

Flu 2017/18 is so last year. It's road deaths now, I see another .3m have died since your last post on road deaths some 20 mins ago.

You've no shame trying to make yourself sound right by throwing round death figures as a way of justifying your own self entitlement to do what you want and to hell with the rest.

And for your record there was 141 road deaths in ROI in 2020, each equally tragic. Was above that in a few days with Covid in January. Fair play a very valid comparison.  ::)

Don't be getting bitchy with me because you have a massive problem with your hypocrisy and double standards being exposed.

More people under the age of 40 die in road traffic accidents than Covid. Why do you justify every other sort of death as acceptable but continue to demand people give up their lives to fight one disease. Your dogmatic contradictions will continue to be exposed here.

Smurfy123

Our CMO keeps moving the goalposts

Only 5 weeks ago the vaccines were our way out of this. Only today he said the vaccines are not the way out of this.
Why is he giving radio interviews is beyond me. Advise the government and give a briefing every week. But when he is on every airwave most days is annoying

3 cases in Omagh Fermanagh

Milltown have you got the slippers on. I'd say you haven't done much in a year.

armaghniac

Quote from: Louther on February 10, 2021, 04:53:10 PM

As a birthday present and by way of compensation for been locked away from that day, you get VIP access to Gaaboard - it's a secret chat room where you get to talk to yourself. Few posters already banned from it after reporting themselves.

Myself and Orior can chat away there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 05:00:13 PM

Such an utter hypocrite.

Don't be getting bitchy with me because you have a massive problem with your hypocrisy and double standards being exposed.

More people under the age of 40 die in road traffic accidents than Covid. Why do you justify every other sort of death as acceptable but continue to demand people give up their lives to fight one disease. Your dogmatic contradictions will continue to be exposed here.

Changing your approach again.

I don't accept any justification for any death at all and that's why my I can see the reasoning for the restrictions and lockdown and why everyone has a responsibility in this, not just those you want to lock away on their 60th birthdays.

Why do you feel that those vulnerable and over 60 should be removed from society and locked away so you can do what you want? Is that justified? You seem more than willing to let society function as normal but those at risk can bugger off behind closed doors.

Did you learn the meaning of dogmatic last night reading the dictionary when taking a shite? As you've been throwing into as many posts as possible today.

What's tomorrow's word going to be?

Louther

Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2021, 05:02:30 PM
Quote from: Louther on February 10, 2021, 04:53:10 PM

Myself and Orior can chat away there.

You's would last a day...tops  :D

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on February 10, 2021, 05:06:07 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 05:00:13 PM

Such an utter hypocrite.

Changing your approach again.

I don't accept any justification for any death at all and that's why my I can see the reasoning for the restrictions and lockdown and why everyone has a responsibility in this, not just those you want to lock away on their 60th birthdays.

Why do you feel that those vulnerable and over 60 should be removed from society and locked away so you can do what you want? Is that justified? You seem more than willing to let society function as normal but those at risk can bugger off behind closed doors.

Did you learn the meaning of dogmatic last night reading the dictionary when taking a shite? As you've been throwing into as many posts as possible today.

What's tomorrow's word going to be?

I don't know how you figure my approach has changed when all I have done is show you the facts and use them to highlight your complete and utter hypocrisy?

We are all removed from society as it is for a virus that is not a threat to the vast majority of us. People have lost their livelihoods, businesses, jobs and are being put under financial strain. Kids are missing out on their education, their social development. Vulnerable groupings are being denied the facilities and supports to overcome and assist their disabilities. People's mental and physical health are being impacted on? To what end? So people like can smugly dismiss the needs of anyone other than the at risk demograph from Covid.

It's a pity you don't care half as much about bigger killers such as cancer and heart disease and things we have in society that enables them in smoking, alcohol and fast food and high sugar food and drinks. It's a pity you don't care about road deaths or seasonal flu which kills every year.

It's an awful shame you are in a knot of hypocrisy and feel people who are at risk to Covid are superior to people who die from other ailments.

sid waddell

I'm all for his right to smell his own shit, unfortunately he's intent on making others smell it too