Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2021, 11:52:21 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2021, 11:32:40 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2021, 11:27:35 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2021, 11:19:36 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2021, 10:35:46 AM
Quote from: mackers on February 03, 2021, 10:26:03 AM
Quote from: Louther on February 03, 2021, 09:53:35 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 03, 2021, 09:38:41 AM
So it looks like you get more protection from naturally surviving Covid, than the vaccine (oxford)?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-virus-antibodies-last-for-at-least-six-months-after-infection-study-finds-12207174

https://news.sky.com/story/oxford-vaccine-may-have-67-effect-on-transmission-and-protection-remains-for-three-month-jab-interval-12206734

Not actually sure if this is good or bad news.

It's hard to know but can only think that any resistance at this stage is better than none.

I would consider that the UK playing a dangerous game with the 12 week gap, going against all other advice on the matter.

They are doing such a massive job on getting the 1st jab done, are they risking limiting this impact by waiting another 12 weeks? The stats to date suggesting they are in the vulnerable categories before the new variants are to be considered.

The data from Israel compared to UK over coming weeks will be key for research groups into this.
What they're saying is the data is backing the gap between doses in the AstraZeneca jab.  They are saying that the wait of 12 weeks is working with that jab. 
GetOverTheBar has misread what the article is saying. It's not that the anitibodies that the AstraZeneca jab lasts JUST 3 months, it's that it lasts the three months between the jabs.  They are taking a gamble on leaving a 12 week gap between Pfizer jabs.  There is no data to back that decision.
The AstraZeneca news is really encouraging in fact.  It will bring the pandemic to an end much quicker.  There is one massive caveat to it though, the variants.  The race is on to get this vaccine campaign completed before they become the dominant strain.

Covid is something that's here to stay, it's something that will likely come around seasonally like flu, it will kill people every year but we will just get on with things - much like we do with flu currently.

Do people here think we are going to completely eradicate Covid forever over the next year or so?

Or do they think, as I do, that it's here for the rest of our lives and much like flu will cause excess deaths every winter, vaccines or no vaccines. We'll get better at treating it but it's still going to kill people but 90% odd of those will be people with low life expectancies anyway.

How long is a season with covid? What was the death rate around April and May? September and October?  have you figures to show that this will be just a winter thing?

I asked a question an you responded without answering, only to ask a number of questions.

Do you think we are going to eradicate Covid or do you think it is here to stay? Simple question for you to state which way you think it will go.

When/where did you ask me a question?

But if this helps... Covid has been around in many different forms for years, it's not going away but we have managed to adopt, that's what the world is currently doing, finding vaccines lowering cases and fatalities.

Now, answer mine

I asked a question in the post you responded to. You responed with a question. Again I have asked you to answer the question and you have given a vague, ambiguous answer as per usual.

It's a pretty simple question so try and answer it simply rather than sitting on the fence.

Do you think we will be able to eradicate Covid with lockdown measures and a vaccine? Yes or no.

I answered it, what's the issue? Covid will be with us and has been with us for years, and we will adopt to it

Now can you answer mine? or you can just avoid it

So to clarify you accept that the vaccine and lockdown measures are not going to get rid of Covid?

I would say April was an outlier.

Deaths from May - September did not see huge variations really. An 8% increase on deaths in the same period of 2019.

If you exclude the outlier of April, deaths rose by 9% last year in comparison to 2019. That sort of rise in deaths is not unprecedented, we had a 6% rise from 2014 to 2015, deaths rose again 2 years later by another 4%.

April is a massive outlier in the whole pandemic.

Thankfully lockdowns implemented from March onwards helped reduce the numbers.

Restrictions had been eased back from June and numbers didn't begin to really take off again until October, can you explain that?
Summer. People outside more. People still very vary of COVID. No schools.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 03, 2021, 02:46:09 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2021, 01:42:35 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 03, 2021, 01:41:35 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2021, 12:07:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2021, 11:59:00 AM
So it looks like you get more protection from naturally surviving Covid, than the vaccine (oxford)?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-virus-antibodies-last-for-at-least-six-months-after-infection-study-finds-12207174

https://news.sky.com/story/oxford-vaccine-may-have-67-effect-on-transmission-and-protection-remains-for-three-month-jab-interval-12206734

It's hard to know but can only think that any resistance at this stage is better than none.

I would consider that the UK playing a dangerous game with the 12 week gap, going against all other advice on the matter.

They are doing such a massive job on getting the 1st jab done, are they risking limiting this impact by waiting another 12 weeks? The stats to date suggesting they are in the vulnerable categories before the new variants are to be considered.

The data from Israel compared to UK over coming weeks will be key for research groups into this.
What they're saying is the data is backing the gap between doses in the AstraZeneca jab.  They are saying that the wait of 12 weeks is working with that jab. 
GetOverTheBar has misread what the article is saying. It's not that the anitibodies that the AstraZeneca jab lasts JUST 3 months, it's that it lasts the three months between the jabs.  They are taking a gamble on leaving a 12 week gap between Pfizer jabs.  There is no data to back that decision.
The AstraZeneca news is really encouraging in fact.  It will bring the pandemic to an end much quicker.  There is one massive caveat to it though, the variants.  The race is on to get this vaccine campaign completed before they become the dominant strain.

Covid is something that's here to stay, it's something that will likely come around seasonally like flu, it will kill people every year but we will just get on with things - much like we do with flu currently.

Do people here think we are going to completely eradicate Covid forever over the next year or so?

Or do they think, as I do, that it's here for the rest of our lives and much like flu will cause excess deaths every winter, vaccines or no vaccines. We'll get better at treating it but it's still going to kill people but 90% odd of those will be people with low life expectancies anyway.

How long is a season with covid? What was the death rate around April and May? September and October?  have you figures to show that this will be just a winter thing?

I asked a question an you responded without answering, only to ask a number of questions.

Do you think we are going to eradicate Covid or do you think it is here to stay? Simple question for you to state which way you think it will go.

But if this helps... Covid has been around in many different forms for years, it's not going away but we have managed to adopt, that's what the world is currently doing, finding vaccines lowering cases and fatalities.

Now, answer mine

I asked a question in the post you responded to. You responed with a question. Again I have asked you to answer the question and you have given a vague, ambiguous answer as per usual.

It's a pretty simple question so try and answer it simply rather than sitting on the fence.

Do you think we will be able to eradicate Covid with lockdown measures and a vaccine? Yes or no.

I answered it, what's the issue? Covid will be with us and has been with us for years, and we will adopt to it

So to clarify you accept that the vaccine and lockdown measures are not going to get rid of Covid?

Deaths from May - September did not see huge variations really. An 8% increase on deaths in the same period of 2019.

If you exclude the outlier of April, deaths rose by 9% last year in comparison to 2019. That sort of rise in deaths is not unprecedented, we had a 6% rise from 2014 to 2015, deaths rose again 2 years later by another 4%.

Restrictions had been eased back from June and numbers didn't begin to really take off again until October, can you explain that?

I wouldn't say wariness of Covid was a factor at all but definitely the seasonal aspect is a huge issue in its transmission.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2021, 04:02:09 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 03, 2021, 02:46:09 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2021, 01:42:35 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 03, 2021, 01:41:35 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2021, 12:07:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2021, 11:59:00 AM

Now, answer mine

I wouldn't say wariness of Covid was a factor at all but definitely the seasonal aspect is a huge issue in its transmission.

I didn't expect you to.

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 03, 2021, 04:15:41 PM

I didn't expect you to.

You're saying people were wary of Covid in June/July/Aug/Sep but not wary of it Oct/Nov/Dec.

Angelo

Has Rossfan stopped his gleeful updates comparing the cases and death figures north and south?

Milltown Row2

So cases in March April May June September October November December January and now February...which season has it not been in? Is this a seasonal thing or all year thing?

I suppose when the kids were off and the summer was good that might have help not spreading it as kids were outside more
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Chris Whitty in the N10 debrief today pretty much said we can expect seasonal winter covid outbreaks.

dublin7

Quote from: bennydorano on February 03, 2021, 06:56:45 PM
Chris Whitty in the N10 debrief today pretty much said we can expect seasonal winter covid outbreaks.

People spending more time indoors and all the traveling and mixing at Christmas is perfect conditions for Covid to spread.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2021, 04:23:58 PM

I didn't expect you to.

You're saying people were wary of Covid in June/July/Aug/Sep but not wary of it Oct/Nov/Dec.

Less wary yes.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: dublin7 on February 03, 2021, 07:03:47 PM

People spending more time indoors and all the traveling and mixing at Christmas is perfect conditions for Covid to spread.

Not trying to pick a fight here....but that kind of flies in the face of the "Stay at Home" message too.

So homes are a breeding ground for it, fair enough. But are people never supposed to leave or what? Do we weld people indoors like the Chinese did?

five points

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 03, 2021, 07:24:57 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2021, 04:23:58 PM

I didn't expect you to.

Less wary yes.

I'm not sure this is true. For starters, very few people were wearing masks until well into August.  Cavan had 2 serious outbreaks caused by post-county final pissups in September and early October but none after we won the Ulster final in late November.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 04, 2021, 09:30:48 AM

Not trying to pick a fight here....but that kind of flies in the face of the "Stay at Home" message too.

So homes are a breeding ground for it, fair enough. But are people never supposed to leave or what? Do we weld people indoors like the Chinese did?

I'd a client in the other day, works in an office during the day and taxi's at night, office is full and no proper social distancing like before...

He was telling me that he picked up a fare the other night, up the West and heading back over North Belfast, around midnight, the lad was coming back from his mates 'bar' that he has had erected in his garden, fully functional bar, with all the optics, pumps fridges and even a portaloo type thingy...

He charges his 'friends' £20 and its 'free' drink pool table big tv for the footie also!

The taxi driver says there are loads of these type places around Belfast and beyond, to the point that he has ordered a £6,000 'shed' for his own garden to do the same thing... His point was why go to the pub and pay a fiver for a pint when I can have my mates around for a session, they bring their own kegs and can carry on..

God knows how many of these type places are carrying on!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Staying at home is fine, but at christmas you had large groups meeting up from different households coming from all over the place. Also as it was christmas you couldn't meet outdoors and had to stay inside so you had more people in an enclosed space

imtommygunn

More people were allowed to meet inside than outside lol.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 04, 2021, 10:52:26 AM

I'd a client in the other day, works in an office during the day and taxi's at night, office is full and no proper social distancing like before...

He was telling me that he picked up a fare the other night, up the West and heading back over North Belfast, around midnight, the lad was coming back from his mates 'bar' that he has had erected in his garden, fully functional bar, with all the optics, pumps fridges and even a portaloo type thingy...

He charges his 'friends' £20 and its 'free' drink pool table big tv for the footie also!

The taxi driver says there are loads of these type places around Belfast and beyond, to the point that he has ordered a £6,000 'shed' for his own garden to do the same thing... His point was why go to the pub and pay a fiver for a pint when I can have my mates around for a session, they bring their own kegs and can carry on..

God knows how many of these type places are carrying on!

It's not right, but this is where the legislation has forced them to go. Once lockdown went from the last resort, to the only resort the rise of this type of thing was inevitable. I know of a few round my own place at it too.

There is no real point sticking the head in the sand saying they are selfish....everyone with half a brain cell knows that.

I made a point very early in this thread about how people wouldn't care about Covid because they lived through the troubles in the North. I think it's been shown to be correct, people don't care here. They don't take Covid serious. They feel wronged by the legislation and that is something that probably won't leave them until it comes to their door I suppose.