China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Each country will be different and remains to be seen which will be right.

I can understand the Germans call to wait on the higher efficacy rate for their high risks groups but those waiting could pick up this virus and die.

Mad to think there is an option to choose when many didn't think any vaccines would be available this soon. Johnson and Johnson might be the best one yet? Can be stored in normal fridges and one dose instead of two. Vaccinations should be really ramped up once that becomes available

armaghniac

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 28, 2021, 02:47:14 PM
Someone had posted a statement from their health spokesperson. I 'think' they are currently using the pfizer vaccine??

I think Isreal use more than one vaccine, which is how they got so much done. However, this experiment was on Pfizer vaccine. This is encouraging, the thing pretty much works after the second dose.
https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/israel-shows-promising-results-from-pfizer-vaccination-campaign-657051
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Taylor

Its barely a month from the All Ireland final and by f**k it feels like we have been locked down for 6 months.  :'(

Looking like April start for National League and we may not even be fully out of lockdown for then.

It goes slow when there is no GAA to watch or look forward to

imtommygunn

I would agree with this. The Gaa gave us something to look forward to at weekends and talk about. I follow the premiership but it's just not the same.

bennydorano

Quote from: lfdown2 on January 28, 2021, 02:20:17 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 28, 2021, 02:03:13 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 28, 2021, 01:15:42 PM
Doesn't look good for Oxford AZ......

https://www.ft.com/content/e5b64f87-6f2b-3097-b04a-bb76c013a284

Thought the Germans killed that story....

https://www.businessinsider.com/oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-older-people-study-effective-german-government-2021-1?r=US&IR=T

Smells like politics, and muscle flexing to me (no basis for such an opinion btw) - especially with the ongoing row with supply from OAZ to the EU.
Thought there was a whiff of Brexit wars as well myself.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: balladmaker on January 28, 2021, 10:31:00 AM
This is what I don't quite get .... if the vulnerable group have the vaccine, why the need to be concerned about anyone carrying the virus?

'cos they offer a breeding ground for mutations.
i usse an speelchekor

Smurfy123

So the narrative has changed
We can't ignore the overall improvement in Ireland
Hospital occupancy in the south is dropping very fast. It has went from 2000 to just above 1500 in 4 days. Expect this time next week to be 1000
That's 50% of the peak. What that tells me is patients are in with mild enough sickness

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 29, 2021, 07:31:22 AM
Hospital occupancy in the south is dropping very fast. It has went from 2000 to just above 1500 in 4 days. Expect this time next week to be 1000
That's 50% of the peak. What that tells me is patients are in with mild enough sickness

Mild? If I'd a mild condition I wouldn't expect to be hospitalised
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Hospitals were almost at breaking point and one hospital (Letterkenny I think) was treating patients in an ambulance as they had no room so they're not going to be admitting anyone for "mild enough sickness" as you put it

LeoMc

It is almost as if you enjoy the cycle of lockdowns. The half arsed efforts of November and December have left us where we are and you want to open up early so we can almost certainly guarantee a spike and stretch out this period of lockdowns.

bennydorano

Covid-19: Novavax vaccine shows 89% efficacy in UK trials
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55850352

Redhand Santa

People are in with mild enough sickness!? What about the hundreds that have died in the last 6 weeks and the 200 plus in ICU? Do you really think they're filling the hospitals up with people with mild illnesses? If anything the amount of people that have been ill enough to make it to hospital and recovering is a sign of the improved drugs available to treat the illness.

Angelo

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 29, 2021, 10:14:49 AM

People are in with mild enough sickness!? What about the hundreds that have died in the last 6 weeks and the 200 plus in ICU? Do you really think they're filling the hospitals up with people with mild illnesses? If anything the amount of people that have been ill enough to make it to hospital and recovering is a sign of the improved drugs available to treat the illness.

The main issue which continues to be buried is the amount of patients who are not admitted for Covid but end up contracting the virus is a hospital setting. This is absolutely scandalous and is not being reported on to effect.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

There is a very good reason for that Angelo.

Complaince is waning, just think what will happen if the news all of sudden reports that most people who go into hospital get it from there.

The save the health service message dies.

Jeepers Creepers

Reading that another medicine being developed in Ireland by a US/Canadian company that can prevent covid from developing into a serious illness and stops the transmission which also looks encouraging.