China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 26, 2021, 05:55:15 PM
If lockdowns work so much why are we in lockdown 3
If lockdown work so well why was our lowest death and case count during a time when no lockdown
Maybe it's a sessional thing

that's a bit like saying if diets work so well then why was my lowest weight the day after I stopped the diet!
Like a diet, it is what you do afterwards that determines the long term success. If you go on a binge in both cases then you end up back where you started.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

What is the barometer of whether a lockdown is successful?

The barometer surely is whether you come out of it?

If lockdown 1 was unsuccessful we would never have come out of it! Same with 2.

3 doesn't look as successful mind you but I do think variants etc are coming into play here.

trueblue1234

Quote from: armaghniac on January 26, 2021, 05:57:48 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 26, 2021, 05:55:15 PM
If lockdowns work so much why are we in lockdown 3
If lockdown work so well why was our lowest death and case count during a time when no lockdown
Maybe it's a sessional thing

that's a bit like saying if diets work so well then why was my lowest weight the day after I stopped the diet!
Like a diet, it is what you do afterwards that determines the long term success. If you go on a binge in both cases then you end up back where you started.

This whole point has been explained multiple times previously. People who don't understand this are either stupid or dishonest.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 26, 2021, 05:59:28 PM
What is the barometer of whether a lockdown is successful?

The barometer surely is whether you come out of it?

If lockdown 1 was unsuccessful we would never have come out of it! Same with 2.

3 doesn't look as successful mind you but I do think variants etc are coming into play here.

That's illogical. There is no rationale to what you have just said. If lockdowns worked it doesn't keep coming back. Lockdowns are not sustainable, they do not fix the problem. It's putting your thumb on a hole to fix a leak.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

imtommygunn

It depends on the objective of the lockdown . If it was zero COVID then yes you are correct but it's not.

All we have ever done is stop gaps. That's all a lockdown is.

Smurfy123

Lockdowns do not work
If they worked why are we in this position

imtommygunn

What position would we be in if we didn't lockdown is a bigger question for me.

trueblue1234

So given Sweden had to give up on their keeping things open strategy and had to go into lockdown, does that mean the keeping open with restrictions doesn't work either. Using Angelo and Smurfy's logic?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 26, 2021, 06:20:22 PM
So given Sweden had to give up on their keeping things open strategy and had to go into lockdown, does that mean the keeping open with restrictions doesn't work either. Using Angelo and Smurfy's logic?

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 26, 2021, 06:15:16 PM
Lockdowns do not work
If they worked why are we in this position

Because selfish twats don't follow them. For what is worth the spring lockdown last year was excellent at suppressing numbers because people followed it.

Smurfy123

So he fact that selfish people don't follow lockdowns means it doesn't work
You just answered me
Only so many times you can ask people to go to the well
If lockdowns work why did our deputy minister break her own rules?

armaghniac

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 26, 2021, 06:24:32 PM

It is true that lockdowns work best with responsible people.

grounded

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55814751

Very sobering when you scroll down to that section ' remembering the coronavirus victims'

Sad times.

RedHand88

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 26, 2021, 06:24:32 PM
So he fact that selfish people don't follow lockdowns means it doesn't work
You just answered me
Only so many times you can ask people to go to the well

You'd have to ask her that.
Michelle o neill breaking lockdown rules has no bearing on the on the science behind a lockdown. It still works.

armaghniac

While the death toll of 90 in the 26 counties is not good today, it reflects the high numbers 3 weeks ago, there are 928 cases today. Good to see it below 1000.
I expect they will start testing close contacts again soon. The 6 counties might usefully test a few more people, they only tested 2,363 individuals compared to 16,520 in the 26.

imtommygunn

The numbers are usually much higher than that. Why they have dropped so much this last few days I am not sure but the numbers have been significantly higher on average this last while in terms of testing.