China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: dublin7 on January 26, 2021, 01:20:03 PM

Sweden took the relaxed approach and their prime minister has admitted they failed. They have more deaths from covid than the rest of their scandanavian neighbours combined.

Sweden has as big a population as the rest of its Scandanavian neighbours combined.

dublin7

Quote from: five points on January 26, 2021, 01:23:50 PM

Sweden took the relaxed approach and their prime minister has admitted they failed. They have more deaths from covid than the rest of their scandanavian neighbours combined.

Sweden has as big a population as the rest of its Scandanavian neighbours combined.

The prime minister and king of sweden said their approach was a failure. If that's not an admission they got it wrong I don't know what is.

What's your alternative to lockdown?

Angelo

Quote from: clarshack on January 26, 2021, 01:01:25 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 26, 2021, 12:32:17 PM

you only want an answer to a narrow focused, loaded question?

I look at the bigger picture. I don't put a narrow focus on things, I look at the overall impact it will have on society and the long terms effects. I strongly feel lockdowns are doing more damage than good and they are a mechanism for governments with absolutely no strategy, no forward thinking and no accountability.

What are they doing about the hospitals and the transmission rates there? Why have they not protected care facilities?

Totally agree on lockdowns, the long term effects of them are going to be frightening.

What would you have done instead?

If there was another easier option available the government would have taken it. The government tried to ease restrictions in the south but people took the piss, cases exploded and they had to act. Without lockdown the health service would have collapsed, cases and deaths would increase even quicker than they did.

Once again you only look at thing through a lens of Covid.

Sweden has done no worse than the majority of Europe in this regard who have all had severe lockdowns and draconian restrictions.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on January 26, 2021, 12:09:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 26, 2021, 12:01:52 PM
Angelo you're relentless on the the flu of 17/18 and now depression. Two subjects on this board board that you have zero, that's zero posts about, so again, forgive me for thinking you give a flying fcuk about these people.

You got it. I'm not a hypocrite here.

But you are. You somehow think its ok from people to die from flu, for mental health problems to see sharp rise.

But you don't think Covid is ok.

That's the type of hypocrisy I'm showing up from you here.

You don't care about the rise in mental health issues nor mass deaths from flu but you do care about Covid? Double standards.

Again you still show no sympathy empathy towards depression mental health or flu victims of 17/18 as you never address either of these topics which are on this forum.

You're full of shit, charlatan and the biggest hypocrite on this board
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

The King of Sweden is a ceremonial role. He has little to no power. For him to say it was a failure, may be true....but he also faces no backlash, as a result he is probably a kind face to deliver bad news.

With regards to Sweden, we've all seen multiple graphs on them by people with various agendas either for, or against their model. The Swedes have suffered 11k deaths on their policy of keeping everything open....11k is still 11k.

A quick search shows us they have 10.23 million, they have 11,005 deaths and total 547k cases.

Basic numbers, they look to have fatality rate of 0.1%. Not really a massive failure on this. But again, 11k deaths, is 11k deaths which were directly responsible to their policy and as a result can only be labelled a failure.

Sweden seems to follow the "popular" trend of this thing taking out about 0.1% of known cases. Would that be accurate?

NAG1

Quote from: Angelo on January 26, 2021, 01:31:01 PM
Quote from: clarshack on January 26, 2021, 01:01:25 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 26, 2021, 12:32:17 PM

you only want an answer to a narrow focused, loaded question?

I look at the bigger picture. I don't put a narrow focus on things, I look at the overall impact it will have on society and the long terms effects. I strongly feel lockdowns are doing more damage than good and they are a mechanism for governments with absolutely no strategy, no forward thinking and no accountability.

What are they doing about the hospitals and the transmission rates there? Why have they not protected care facilities?

Totally agree on lockdowns, the long term effects of them are going to be frightening.

What would you have done instead?

If there was another easier option available the government would have taken it. The government tried to ease restrictions in the south but people took the piss, cases exploded and they had to act. Without lockdown the health service would have collapsed, cases and deaths would increase even quicker than they did.

Once again you only look at thing through a lens of Covid.

Sweden has done no worse than the majority of Europe in this regard who have all had severe lockdowns and draconian restrictions.

I know logic is no friend here in this 'debate'.

By your own argument, had Sweden followed suit and instigated a lock down like the rest of the world their Covid death rate would have been significantly lower. They themselves have admitted getting it wrong the figures are now backing that up with one of the highest death rates going.

But that doesnt fit this ridiculous narrative that you have pursued on here for weeks.

Maybe those deaths were OK with you as you seem to suggest the deaths here in Ireland are too. What is a level of death rate that you are OK with, just so you can have your freedoms back?

Who would you say its OK to die, so we can all get out for a beer or for a meal?
Your friends? Your family? Your neighbours?

Heaven forbid it hits you that close but if or when it ever did you would be looking at it with completely different set of values and principles.

dublin7

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 26, 2021, 01:42:38 PM
The King of Sweden is a ceremonial role. He has little to no power. For him to say it was a failure, may be true....but he also faces no backlash, as a result he is probably a kind face to deliver bad news.

With regards to Sweden, we've all seen multiple graphs on them by people with various agendas either for, or against their model. The Swedes have suffered 11k deaths on their policy of keeping everything open....11k is still 11k.

A quick search shows us they have 10.23 million, they have 11,005 deaths and total 547k cases.

Basic numbers, they look to have fatality rate of 0.1%. Not really a massive failure on this. But again, 11k deaths, is 11k deaths which were directly responsible to their policy and as a result can only be labelled a failure.

Sweden seems to follow the "popular" trend of this thing taking out about 0.1% of known cases. Would that be accurate?

Swedn has seen more cases/deaths than any of their nordic neighbours. Depending on which nordic country you compare sweden to their deaths per million of population was between 4.5 and 10 times higher.

Angelo

But how is Sweden's death rate relative to their policy. Other countries who have enforced severe lockdowns have fared far, far worse than Sweden. It's also the notable that the vast majority of Sweden's population is located the south of the country so population density figures provided are skewed.

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on January 26, 2021, 01:56:48 PM

Swedn has seen more cases/deaths than any of their nordic neighbours. Depending on which nordic country you compare sweden to their deaths per million of population was between 4.5 and 10 times higher.

What about Sweden's European neighbours in Poland and Germany?

How do they compare?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: dublin7 on January 26, 2021, 01:56:48 PM

I've no dog in the fight with Sweden to be honest, I just am bringing in the political significance of their King stating it was a failure. Looks like he done a turn for the Government with that.

Of course, by nature of staying open their numbers will be bigger, they are a bigger country with more cities especially....But if you didn't know Sweden kept it open, you wouldn't exactly be screaming monsters....complete failures either. Their figures are relatively "acceptable" I would say, considering.

Rossfan

180 or so Countries and their Chief Medical honchos go with lockdowns/restrictions.
One or two 6Cos Gaaboard posters think that was the wrong approach.
But of course they're not giving us the benefit of their vast wisdom by giving an  alternative.

Unkinder people than me might think they're just spoofers.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Rossfan on January 26, 2021, 03:05:14 PM
180 or so Countries and their Chief Medical honchos go with lockdowns/restrictions.
But of course they're not giving us the benefit of their vast wisdom by giving an  alternative.

You have a serious mental problem.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on January 26, 2021, 03:05:14 PM

And you're the guy who wants us to follow a chap set to face genocide charges blindly?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/who-chief-tedros-adhanom-ghebreyesus-may-face-genocide-charges-2fbfz7sff

five points

Quote from: dublin7 on January 26, 2021, 01:26:48 PM
Quote from: five points on January 26, 2021, 01:23:50 PM

The prime minister and king of sweden said their approach was a failure. If that's not an admission they got it wrong I don't know what is.
Quite obvious at this stage that pretty much every country got it wrong.

What's your alternative to lockdown?
Spend a lot more on health, and protecting the vulnerable.