China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Always going to happen. The question is if March will end it.

lenny

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 21, 2021, 05:07:20 PM
So....

Lockdown extended to March 05th (at best) in the North....

Who wants to take this one.

Nobody wants it but it must be necessary. We'll just have to put up with it as best we can. The furlough scheme has taken a lot of the pressure off for me.

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 21, 2021, 05:18:02 PM
Always going to happen. The question is if March will end it.

March 2022 won't end it.

Ty4Sam

Quote from: lenny on January 21, 2021, 05:18:07 PM
So....

Nobody wants it but it must be necessary. We'll just have to put up with it as best we can. The furlough scheme has taken a lot of the pressure off for me.

Absolutely, doesn't bare thinking about how bad a situation we would be if it wasn't for the furlough scheme. I would expect another extension to it, beyond April, to be announced in the coming weeks.

JoG2

Quote from: Ty4Sam on January 21, 2021, 05:21:02 PM
So....

Absolutely, doesn't bare thinking about how bad a situation we would be if it wasn't for the furlough scheme. I would expect another extension to it, beyond April, to be announced in the coming weeks.

You'd think once the over 70s are complete (sometime in March), restrictions will be eased. Heads down for a wee while yet. Wee stretch in the evenings...

quit yo jibbajabba

Ill plump for Easter at least, lockdown and schools

Ty4Sam

Quote from: JoG2 on January 21, 2021, 05:52:28 PM
So....

You'd think once the over 70s are complete (sometime in March), restrictions will be eased. Heads down for a wee while yet. Wee stretch in the evenings...

Sorry, meant extension to the furlough scheme beyond April. I would hope this lockdown will be finished by/around Easter. Think we'll then move back into the tiered system of restrictions for God only knows how long.

JoG2

Quote from: Ty4Sam on January 21, 2021, 06:24:12 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 21, 2021, 05:52:28 PM
So....

Sorry, meant extension to the furlough scheme beyond April. I would hope this lockdown will be finished by/around Easter. Think we'll then move back into the tiered system of restrictions for God only knows how long.

Ah right. For how long, ask BennyCake  ;D

Smurfy123

160 deaths recorded on the south of Ireland from covid in 14 days were in care homes
What a mess in care homes
Questions need to be asked
Sort it out

seafoid

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1351490347390672897UPDATE: Following today's

@ONS

data for England and Wales, my estimate of the number of UK excess deaths linked to coronavirus since mid March 2020 has surpassed a new grim milestone of 106,300 Of these, 94,745 have been recorded officially, the remainder are estimates

Smurfy123

So lockdown in the north continues until March 5th
6 weeks today
Going by the law of averages case numbers likely to be below 200 by then and the r number probably 0.5 so what would be the plan to come out of lockdown?
Add into that potentially 400000 people vaccinated and the flu season coming to an end
Pretty easy to lockdown but no plan to come out

seafoid

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 22, 2021, 07:05:53 AM
So lockdown in the north continues until March 5th
6 weeks today
Going by the law of averages case numbers likely to be below 200 by then and the r number probably 0.5 so what would be the plan to come out of lockdown?
Add into that potentially 400000 people vaccinated and the flu season coming to an end
Pretty easy to lockdown but no plan to come out

If the North has a high proportion of the new English variant lockdown won't help much.

Also Israel has run into trouble with vacvination after the first dose.  It may be Halloween before things start getting back to normal.

imtommygunn

That first statement is nonsense seafoid. If locked down properly then any variant has less places to go.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/80b3c8f7-7af7-4491-ad4a-d3056b46753e

Coronavirus infections in Israel are soaring among those yet to be vaccinated, straining hospitals and forcing the government to extend a strict lockdown even as the country continues its breakneck vaccination drive. Close to 2.3m Israelis — out of an adult population of just over 6m — have received their first shot of the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine, which provides some protection after 10 days of the jab. Just over 600,000 have received their second jabs, the government said Thursday. But with daily new infections climbing past 10,000 this week and a record 720 deaths so far this month, hospital admissions continue to rise. The B.1.1.7 variant, first detected in the UK during the autumn, is tied to at least 40 per cent of new infections and the government estimates it will account for the vast majority of new infections by March.

imtommygunn