China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on December 31, 2020, 02:53:57 PM
https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/12/30/what-is-left-to-say/

This article pretty pretty much sums how I feel about COVID.

So much noise. So little consideration.

The past year has seen a ridiculous emphasis on "form" over "pedigree".

It's an awful shame that social media has created a platform for COVID fanatics to incessantly paint non-fanatics as tin-hat wearing imbeciles, and for the actual tin-hat wearers to simultaneously fan these flames.

As mentioned before, the internet should have made us more enlightened. It seems to have has the opposite effect.
Malcolm Kendrick's "pedigree" is that he is fervently anti-lockdown, he writes for Russia Today, is a willing guest of the arch-grifting "Fat Emperor" Ivor Cummins who has been one of the most dangerous voices anywhere during this whole pandemic

That's an extremely dodgy "pedigree"

Cummins is most certainly a fanatic

And I have found consistently that those who are fervently anti-lockdown are fanatics of the worst kind

thewobbler

Sid you're highlighting our different personalities there.

I've no idea who Malcolm Kendrick is. I don't overly care either. Almost the last thing I'll do with any independent article is read the author's name. And I definitely won't chase his previous work down a rabbit hole.

To me this is a thoughtful, well-written piece.

Does this mean he's not trying to prove a point? No. Does it mean the author is in control of his natural biases? No.

But it's still measured in comparison to almost any COVID opinion piece.

——

By the way when I talk of form and pedigree in COVID, it's in reference to how the average Twitter user has been assessing and promoting data. People are oh so unnecessarily quick to declare "victories" for the side they've chosen.

I'm hoping we might get a period of quiet reflection sooner rather than later.

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on December 31, 2020, 03:52:51 PM

I've no idea who Malcolm Kendrick is. I don't overly care either. Almost the last thing I'll do with any independent article is read the author's name. And I definitely won't chase his previous work down a rabbit hole.

Does this mean he's not trying to prove a point? No. Does it mean the author is in control of his natural biases? No.

——

By the way when I talk of form and pedigree in COVID, it's in reference to how the average Twitter user has been assessing and promoting data. People are oh so unnecessarily quick to declare "victories" for the side they've chosen.

In a post about "pedigree", you dismiss the author's pedigree completely

Quelle ironie

LCohen

It's an awful shame that social media has created a platform for COVID fanatics to incessantly paint non-fanatics as tin-hat wearing imbeciles, and for the actual tin-hat wearers to simultaneously fan these flames.

As mentioned before, the internet should have made us more enlightened. It seems to have has the opposite effect.

Kendrick is a dangerous fool.

His approach to science is the following
1 Take a position
2. Google research titles
3. Dismiss any article where the title does not confirm the research will agree with the position adopted at stage 1
4. Any remaining research is used as evidence supporting his position (even if only article survives the cull at stage 3)

His is not research it's self selecting confirmation bias. The opposite of science.

How do know this? Because he has already been caught doing exactly that.

thewobbler

Quote from: sid waddell on December 31, 2020, 04:09:33 PM

——

Quelle ironie

Oh go f**k yourself. I explained above what I meant by pedigree and form.

Not spending my NYE arguing with you about nothing. f**k off to some other message board you pious, obnoxious, repetitive, boring **** of a human being.

thewobbler

Quote from: LCohen on December 31, 2020, 04:16:46 PM

Kendrick is a dangerous fool.

His approach to science is the following
1 Take a position
2. Google research titles
3. Dismiss any article where the title does not confirm the research will agree with the position adopted at stage 1
4. Any remaining research is used as evidence supporting his position (even if only article survives the cull at stage 3)

His is not research it's self selecting confirmation bias. The opposite of science.

How do know this? Because he has already been caught doing exactly that.

The article is an opinion piece based on mortality rates. It doesn't wander into other territories.

If his mortality data is wrong, he is wrong. If his mortality data is right, then this a sensible discussion to have in a level headed way; regardless of what he has said in the past.

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on December 31, 2020, 04:20:49 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 31, 2020, 04:09:33 PM

——

Quelle ironie

Oh go f**k yourself. I explained above what I meant by pedigree and form.

Not spending my NYE arguing with you about nothing. f**k off to some other message board you pious, obnoxious, repetitive, boring **** of a human being.
Thanks for the abuse, happy New Year to you as well

blasmere

Boards.ie

Banned
Last Activity: 13-09-2020 09:55
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Capt Pat

2020 a year in review is on rte now. Covid covid covid is all there is. What a year.

Smurfy123

So from the 101 deaths in the south of Ireland in December
33 care homes
33 hospital outbreaks
35 from the community

I would imagine the 33 in hospital were patients who were very sick

Get that vaccination into the old and venerable quickly

WOW

Rossfan

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 31, 2020, 07:01:41 PM
2020 a year in review is on rte now. Covid covid covid is all there is. What a year.
It kind of took things over alright :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bennydorano

I came across that Ivor Cummins fella on twitter a while back and was intrigued for a bit, lost interest within days

bennydorano

Jesus just watched RTE news at 9pm (I don't watch RTE News generally),  that's not Covid news for grown ups.

michaelg

Quote from: bennydorano on December 31, 2020, 09:30:06 PM
Jesus just watched RTE news at 9pm (I don't watch RTE News generally),  that's not Covid news for grown ups.
What news would you generally watch?

bennydorano