China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

What did you expect? People have been going mental since the last lockdown ended, what 14 days ago? As they knew another was a cert.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 23, 2020, 02:59:00 PM
What did you expect? People have been going mental since the last lockdown ended, what 14 days ago? As they knew another was a cert.

Their actions ensured that it was a cert!
787 new cases in 6 counties from tests on 4,690 individuals is a high and growing positivity rate

Armagh, Craigavon and Banbridge seems to have lot of cases these last few days.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on December 23, 2020, 03:08:06 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 23, 2020, 02:59:00 PM

Their actions ensured that it was a cert!
787 new cases in 6 counties from tests on 4,690 individuals is a high and growing positivity rate

And come the end of Jan or middle of Feb....or whenever it is they decide that we can actually live again. What do you think will happen?

This thing is not going away. It's time to look at a new approach.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 23, 2020, 03:10:43 PM

What do you suggest?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on December 23, 2020, 03:11:39 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 23, 2020, 03:10:43 PM

What do you suggest?

Ringfence the care home elderly. As per data - over a third of total deaths are dementia patients in a care home. Without being dismissive, they hardly know what is going on in the outside world or can be expected to protect themselves. Believe me, I've experienced Dementia in my own family - if I'm being honest, they are better off dead than going through that ordeal. Utterly heart-breaking condition and something personally I wouldn't be opposed to research into gene manipulation for this type of thing but that is neither here nor there.

That too, of those with pre existing conditions. The average on death is 2.32. The virus ruthlessly exposes the vulnerable. It's all care homes. Take away care home data here and you are left with not a whole pile after that to worry about....none more so than anything else that worried us, this time a year ago.

Stop double jobbing, forever. No more crap pay for carers that forces them to work X hours here, Y hours there that's been shown for what it is. Care Home owners don't care about their patients and if we are being totally honest, neither does society. That's why they are sent to care homes. I think we should acknowledge that. No point in any of us acting holier than thou, the world has clearly failed the weakest. Will anyone ever pay a price there or is this just an extension of survival of the fittest....as life has been since the dawn of time I suppose.

This opening, closing, opening, closing. Numbers up, numbers down nonsense cannot continue forever.

787 people is approx 0.04% of the N.I Population. Instead of asking us to shut down everything, ruin lives forever (which again, nobody cares about unless it's affecting them) to save the NHS - Why aren't we asking, why did it ever need saving for such a tiny, tiny fragment of the population.

I don't have all the answers, but this current way of existence cannot continue forever I'm sure we all agree?

Milltown Row2

Brutal, but honest.. it has its good points though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 23, 2020, 03:33:43 PM
I don't have all the answers, but this current way of existence cannot continue forever I'm sure we all agree?

The categories you list above are being vaccinated as we speak. Relief is on the way, some patience is needed in the meantime.

GetOverTheBar

Absolutely armaghniac, but we must acknowledge that people are going to go wild again when we open up and numbers will rise as so.

Just by it's nature, this 6 week one is going to take a big, big toll on people. I hope this is the last one for us all. But I'm not confident. I think it would be foolish of us to think everyone is going to abide by the rules, but hopefully, if 90% do, we'll see 90% results.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 23, 2020, 03:51:15 PM
Absolutely armaghniac, but we must acknowledge that people are going to go wild again when we open up and numbers will rise as so.

Just by it's nature, this 6 week one is going to take a big, big toll on people. I hope this is the last one for us all. But I'm not confident. I think it would be foolish of us to think everyone is going to abide by the rules, but hopefully, if 90% do, we'll see 90% results.

I acknowledge it, I don't agree with it. Just as roads have speed ramps on them which we all have bounce over because a few people cannot moderate their speed we have to have closures because a few people cannot behave responsibly.

imtommygunn

I don't think enough time has passed since not being in lockdown here for numbers to have fully taken their toll from lockdown easing. However I suspect the one week "off" probably factors in.

Is there not a one week curfew now? That is worse than any lockdown. At present the six weeks doesn't include schools and nurseries however i suspect it is going to.

Obviously this is not an easy problem but the executive have made an absolute balls of it. That one week off was a disgrace and quite honestly shows stormont is not fit for purpose. (I imagine the numbers now are more from that week). Lay out a plan based on numbers. If we get to this we get x, y and s opened etc. Show some light at the end of the tunnel. If we regress this is what we do. Short term and long term planning. Not the balls we have. It's not the lockdown crippling businesses it's the way they're being implemented and the timeliness, or lack thereof, of decisions being made.

whitegoodman

Is it right that one dose is 91% compared to the 95% for 2 doses ?  Tony Blair was saying today to forget about the second dose and give more people one dose.  If the above figures are right it would make sense.

armaghniac

Quote from: whitegoodman on December 23, 2020, 04:30:34 PM
Is it right that one dose is 91% compared to the 95% for 2 doses ?  Tony Blair was saying today to forget about the second dose and give more people one dose.  If the above figures are right it would make sense.

You don't even have to forget about it, you could give a second dose in a few months when all the vulnerable cases had received one dose.

whitegoodman

Would it still be effective if it's not given at the recommended 21 days ?

Also I would assume that the Oxford dose which isn't as effective would be given to those less at risk such as the under 75 and those at high risk would receive the more effective Pfizer vaccine.  I know supplies of it are limited but would they not cover the most vulnerable.

armaghniac

Quote from: whitegoodman on December 23, 2020, 05:11:19 PM
Would it still be effective if it's not given at the recommended 21 days ?

Also I would assume that the Oxford dose which isn't as effective would be given to those less at risk such as the under 75 and those at high risk would receive the more effective Pfizer vaccine.  I know supplies of it are limited but would they not cover the most vulnerable.

The 21 days is probably the minimum time that you could give a second shot.
There is a trial apparently giving people one shot of Pfizer and one short of Oxford, this might give you 97% protection.

BennyCake

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 23, 2020, 03:51:15 PM

90% is nowhere near enough. Even 2 or 3 people f**kin about could potentially have catastrophic consequences.