China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: thewobbler on December 22, 2020, 11:13:24 PM
Can someone who has got a better handle on the figures for the UK talk me through something? Picked up on this on Twitter but the debate around it is childish and frustrating.

Apparently there were 36,000 positive cases in the UK yesterday, and 32,000 the previous day, and 5 figures each of the previous days, am I right to assume that there is no double counting in place, and that >75,000 UK citizens have tested positive this week?

Which means that more than 1 in 1,000 UK citizens have tested positive this week?

If so, roughly how many tests have been administered to produce this number of positives?

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on December 22, 2020, 11:13:24 PM
Can someone who has got a better handle on the figures for the UK talk me through something? Picked up on this on Twitter but the debate around it is childish and frustrating.

Apparently there were 36,000 positive cases in the UK yesterday, and 32,000 the previous day, and 5 figures each of the previous days, am I right to assume that there is no double counting in place, and that >75,000 UK citizens have tested positive this week?

Which means that more than 1 in 1,000 UK citizens have tested positive this week?

If so, roughly how many tests have been administered to produce this number of positives?

423,675 tests  so 8.5% positive Testing has greatly ramped up in England especially since March.
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

So it's about 1 in 300 people positive this week.

And about 1 in every 30 people (including children) have been tested this week?

—-

I must be properly cut off from what's happening in the world if there's those levels of people going for testing in a week.

Milltown Row2

Was heading into town tonight, passing over the M3 bridge and the Odyssey carpark was bunged with cars at the testing point!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

NI not at the forefront of testing volumes, which may not help things.
Finland and Denmark have tested everyone twice on average.

One of the points made is that health services now have to crank up the vaccination, although they are flat out treating people and doing things like testing. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

How do countries with that level of testing dictate that people get tested? Do they?

It's kind of a personal responsibility thing if you get tested is it not or what is being done over and above what is being done here to get those numbers?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on December 22, 2020, 09:56:44 AM
Travel ban to NI is a tricky one. It's not about just stopping cars driving, it's flights and ferries. There will be costs involved. Who pays those costs? Because I can tell you now it won't be Stena Line or Easyjet. I understand why people see it the perfect solution. In reality it isn't. What might be more helpful is to enforce the 10 days quarantine if you return from a tier 3 or 4 area. And as they are doing, asking people not to travel.

Ferries could keep running, but the crew are not allowed to debark in NI and only trailers (no tractor units) are allowed to travel across. No passenger travel at all.

So hauliers would have to drop them off and pick them up from the port.

Of course its not ideal - but nothing about right now is ideal!
i usse an speelchekor

trailer

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 23, 2020, 09:16:38 AM
Travel ban to NI is a tricky one. It's not about just stopping cars driving, it's flights and ferries. There will be costs involved. Who pays those costs? Because I can tell you now it won't be Stena Line or Easyjet. I understand why people see it the perfect solution. In reality it isn't. What might be more helpful is to enforce the 10 days quarantine if you return from a tier 3 or 4 area. And as they are doing, asking people not to travel.

Ferries could keep running, but the crew are not allowed to debark in NI and only trailers (no tractor units) are allowed to travel across. No passenger travel at all.

Sounds easy but in reality that'd be a nightmare. Agreed nothing is ideal. And I am not saying that passenger travel shouldn't be stopped, I am just pointing out that these are extremely difficult choices. What if you work in GB but live in NI should you be denied travel?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on December 23, 2020, 09:25:40 AM
Sounds easy but in reality that'd be a nightmare.
I am just pointing out that these are extremely difficult choices.

Of course it'd be a nightmare - still by far the lesser of two evils (or 3 evils in this case).

What if you work in GB but live in NI should you be denied travel?

Yep. Rent a roof over yer head in GB and stay there for the next while.

People need to get real about how to approach coronavirus.

Watered down bullsh!t is the reason we are where we are. China is going to see a GDP growth this year despite COVID - because they did it right and didn't try a diluted load of crap that was good for nothing.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-usa-china-analysis-idUSKBN277066
i usse an speelchekor

Franko

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 23, 2020, 09:16:38 AM

Sounds easy but in reality that'd be a nightmare. Agreed nothing is ideal. And I am not saying that passenger travel shouldn't be stopped, I am just pointing out that these are extremely difficult choices. What if you work in GB but live in NI should you be denied travel?

Absolute nonsense.

Approx 2/3rds of RoRo freight across the Irish Sea is already done this way.

GetOverTheBar

https://www.nisra.gov.uk/sites/nisra.gov.uk/files/publications/Covid-19%20related%20deaths%20and%20pre-existing%20conditions%20in%20Northern%20Ireland%20March%20to%20November%202020-%20Press%20Release.pdf

https://www.nisra.gov.uk/publications/covid-19-related-deaths-and-pre-existing-conditions

Some very interesting stuff in here.

March to September 2020
 There were 902 Covid-19 related deaths registered in Northern Ireland between 1
st March and 30th September 2020;
 Covid-19 was the underlying cause of death for 807 deaths (89.5% of Covid-19 related deaths);
 There were no pre-existing conditions for 77 deaths (8.5% of Covid-19 related deaths);
 The average number of pre-existing conditions was 2.32;
 Dementia and Alzheimer's disease wasthe most common pre-existing condition, appearing in 327
deaths (36.3% of Covid-19 related deaths). The nextmost common pre-existing conditions were
hypertensive diseases (180) and diabetes (165 deaths); and
 The main pre-existing condition –the one most likely to cause death in the absence of Covid-19 – was
dementia and Alzheimer's disease (297), followed by ischaemic heart diseases (81) and chronic lower
respiratory diseases (67 deaths).

Jeepers Creepers

787 cases today in da nart and a further 21 deaths

imtommygunn

That's shocking. I think a full "curfew" is coming now according to the bbc. Not allowed out for a week.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 23, 2020, 02:42:50 PM
That's shocking. I think a full "curfew" is coming now according to the bbc. Not allowed out for a week.

Time for people to start kicking back

BennyCake

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 23, 2020, 02:36:42 PM
787 cases today in da nart and a further 21 deaths

I dread to think of the numbers come early January. I'd say you could add a thousand to that