China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

How do you expect everything to open up if schools are shut ?

Saffrongael

Quote from: tbrick18 on December 19, 2020, 09:48:41 AM
Quote from: marty34 on December 18, 2020, 10:32:03 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 18, 2020, 01:05:55 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on December 18, 2020, 12:54:37 PM
That's basically the height of it marty34, we can blame the governments all we want, and very few countries have coped well, but it's hard when people just ignore the guidance and restrictions. And that's what has happened in the 6 counties

You could argue its the governments fault in all the countries that haven't done well. A sh*t show everywhere Covid-19 wasn't taken seriously. And that attitude is what flows down to the public.

But people have to take person responsibility also - this, the attitude of Stormont's a mess, therefore I can do what I like is a cop out.

People, who are adults, must front up and own it.  This carry- on of blaming everybody else doesn't wash with me.   

A very basic example, the amount of people I see in shops etc. without a mask is unreal - again the sense of entitlement is unreal. Why do I have to wear a mask, I couldn't care less type of attitude.

We can blame everybody else but the elephant in the room.

As I stated before, SF made a bad decision about the funeral earlier in the year and rightly got called out for it.  It was wrong and turned into a PR disaster for them. The main problem for me is the DUP,  mainly, in terms of Stormont.  I don't buy in to the usual "two sides as bad as each other".

There are 5 parties in there, it's been 4 V 1 in terms of supporting the health and medical people and following their advice but it's clearly the DUP who are not onside with it, for whatever reason.  Again, the UUP were 'siding' with London's plan earlier on but, as the year have went on, they've clearly wanting to follow the advice of the health professionals.  Why? For me, I believe that as this year has developed, in regards to planning, England, Scotland, Wales and the 6 counties have went 'their own way' as it's clearly not a one size fits all solution.

Regardless, let's nail this myth that Stormont is the problem in this case.  It has its problems but when it 4 V 1 up there, the problem lies with one party.

As stated, people have to take personal responsibility.

Spot on that.
There are still loads who don't wear masks and don't use the sanitiser in shops.
Or who do wear a mask but don't cover their nose.
Too many people not following guidelines. Visiting too many other households etc.
Dup absolutely have been a major problem holding everyone to ransom with their veto for whatever agenda. I think they just like welding power
Sending schools back with everything else locked down is a disgrace.
So it's ok for kids to mix 30 at a time in school, but not in their own back yard or a park? Covid knows to leave the kids at school alone? Nonsense and it stinks of dup doing their own thing again. 
I've had to get tested this week, thankfully negative. But at the testing site, the tester said the majority of people coming in to be tested are working in schools.
Anecdotal maybe, but doesn't surprise me.
My wife is a teacher in a primary school with 200 kids. So far 4 teachers and numerous other staff have had positive tests. They have caught out quite a few families sending kids to school when other siblings are positive. That's what we're up against.
Schools should be the first thing shut imo. See how we go with everything else opened after that.

Probably more to do with their actions outside of school
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

The thing is it *could* be but if the thing is not in control in your society schools are the perfect place to spread it surely?

Universities seemed to be a major thing in the north too. (In England and Scotland too). I am not sure how this wasn't a thing in the south. What was done differently?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Saffrongael on December 19, 2020, 10:15:07 AM
That's basically the height of it marty34, we can blame the governments all we want, and very few countries have coped well, but it's hard when people just ignore the guidance and restrictions. And that's what has happened in the 6 counties

You could argue its the governments fault in all the countries that haven't done well. A sh*t show everywhere Covid-19 wasn't taken seriously. And that attitude is what flows down to the public.

But people have to take person responsibility also - this, the attitude of Stormont's a mess, therefore I can do what I like is a cop out.

People, who are adults, must front up and own it.  This carry- on of blaming everybody else doesn't wash with me.   

A very basic example, the amount of people I see in shops etc. without a mask is unreal - again the sense of entitlement is unreal. Why do I have to wear a mask, I couldn't care less type of attitude.

As I stated before, SF made a bad decision about the funeral earlier in the year and rightly got called out for it.  It was wrong and turned into a PR disaster for them. The main problem for me is the DUP,  mainly, in terms of Stormont.  I don't buy in to the usual "two sides as bad as each other".

There are 5 parties in there, it's been 4 V 1 in terms of supporting the health and medical people and following their advice but it's clearly the DUP who are not onside with it, for whatever reason.  Again, the UUP were 'siding' with London's plan earlier on but, as the year have went on, they've clearly wanting to follow the advice of the health professionals.  Why? For me, I believe that as this year has developed, in regards to planning, England, Scotland, Wales and the 6 counties have went 'their own way' as it's clearly not a one size fits all solution.

Regardless, let's nail this myth that Stormont is the problem in this case.  It has its problems but when it 4 V 1 up there, the problem lies with one party.

Spot on that.
There are still loads who don't wear masks and don't use the sanitiser in shops.
Too many people not following guidelines. Visiting too many other households etc.
Dup absolutely have been a major problem holding everyone to ransom with their veto for whatever agenda. I think they just like welding power
So it's ok for kids to mix 30 at a time in school, but not in their own back yard or a park? Covid knows to leave the kids at school alone? Nonsense and it stinks of dup doing their own thing again. 
I've had to get tested this week, thankfully negative. But at the testing site, the tester said the majority of people coming in to be tested are working in schools.
My wife is a teacher in a primary school with 200 kids. So far 4 teachers and numerous other staff have had positive tests. They have caught out quite a few families sending kids to school when other siblings are positive. That's what we're up against.
Schools should be the first thing shut imo. See how we go with everything else opened after that.

Christ the night. What a comment.

Unbelieveable.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 19, 2020, 09:08:24 AM
Armaghniac the person who has been most partitionist in this thread is you.

Not true. All I have ever said is that if you do the same thing then you'll get the same results.

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 19, 2020, 10:22:29 AM
The thing is it *could* be but if the thing is not in control in your society schools are the perfect place to spread it surely?

Universities seemed to be a major thing in the north too. (In England and Scotland too). I am not sure how this wasn't a thing in the south. What was done differently?

There wasn't much talk of universities in the 26 counties, not sure what was different, although they all had electronic classes only except for labs.
In Limerick, which had a few cases, they've recently tested the students before sending them home for the holidays. They may have done this in Cork, but they did not do it in Dublin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Were halls of residence opened? I think personally it was a disgrace that queens halls were. I also am not convinced on timeliness of telling people they were to take classes electronically. That has factored in.

The problem is those kind of things now become very relevant. Transmitting that to the population has made it "rattle" round a lot more people than needbe and lack of appropriate lockdown just means it keeps going and going and going.  You shouldn't need the "big" lockdowns but when balls ups like that are made that is what happens. (If it gets into the population I also imagine the likes of schools could spread it a lot. Not sure why that is a controversial opinion tbh. We've made a balls of it and all possibilities should be looked at).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 19, 2020, 12:52:14 PM
Were halls of residence opened? I think personally it was a disgrace that queens halls were. I also am not convinced on timeliness of telling people they were to take classes electronically. That has factored in.

The problem is those kind of things now become very relevant. Transmitting that to the population has made it "rattle" round a lot more people than needbe and lack of appropriate lockdown just means it keeps going and going and going.  You shouldn't need the "big" lockdowns but when balls ups like that are made that is what happens. (If it gets into the population I also imagine the likes of schools could spread it a lot. Not sure why that is a controversial opinion tbh. We've made a balls of it and all possibilities should be looked at).

Halls are opened up after new year in Queens!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2020, 01:52:28 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 19, 2020, 12:52:14 PM

Halls are opened up after new year in Queens!

All about the cash from overseas' students, as well as the locals.

Cash is king.

armaghniac

Quote from: marty34 on December 19, 2020, 02:12:41 PM
All about the cash from overseas' students, as well as the locals.

Cash is king.

Without the overseas students there wouldn't be enough to give the same service to the locals.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tbrick18

Quote from: Saffrongael on December 19, 2020, 10:15:07 AM

Spot on that.

How do you work that out?

rodney trotter

The new variant in London 75% stronger then what was already there. They would need a good vaccine for it.

Hopefully it stays out of this island but with people travelling back for Christmas that's debatable

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 19, 2020, 10:24:09 PM
The new variant in London 75% stronger then what was already there. They would need a good vaccine for it.

Hopefully it stays out of this island but with people travelling back for Christmas that's debatable

Did they not say it was more contiguous?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2020, 10:31:24 PM

Yeah they did

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 19, 2020, 11:16:42 PM

Yeah they did

Did they say it was 75% stronger, as in more lethal?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2020, 11:26:19 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 19, 2020, 11:16:42 PM

Yeah they did

Did they say it was 75% stronger, as in more lethal?

More contagious i think but not sure on strength or lethality