China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

NISRA provide these stats every week. From the w/e 2/10 to w/e 11/12 684 more people have died than the 5 year average. That's over 20% more deaths than the 5 year average.

There are a lot of people trying to make out the cases are all made up due to a flawed test. And I do have doubts over those numbers but it is obvious that once the case numbers rise the numbers in hospitals rise and then the number of deaths. A lot of ill informed fools out there trying to argue otherwise.

Redhand Santa

Even comparing week for week from 2/10 versus the maximum deaths in the corresponding week in the last 5 years there is still 368 excess deaths (over 10%). And that is with restrictions in and people constantly being told to practice social distancing. If it was let run it's course totally like the dup wanted we would be in serious bother now. As it is 100's of excess deaths is extremely bad and disgusting that many people don't seem to care.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 18, 2020, 10:52:28 AM
Even comparing week for week from 2/10 versus the maximum deaths in the corresponding week in the last 5 years there is still 368 excess deaths (over 10%). And that is with restrictions in and people constantly being told to practice social distancing. If it was let run it's course totally like the dup wanted we would be in serious bother now. As it is 100's of excess deaths is extremely bad and disgusting that many people don't seem to care.

This time last year nobody cared about anybody dying on this board, nobody cared about anyone in care homes. Nobody cared about the homeless, nobody cared about people flooding the streets with drugs, nobody cared about a lot of things.

Since Covid has come along and many people now worry about their own mortality, we've been shown up for what we are. Selfish. To be honest, I still feel Covid pales in comparison to a lot of these issues but it definitely is the only show in town. 

Redhand Santa

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 18, 2020, 10:55:42 AM

This time last year nobody cared about anybody dying on this board, nobody cared about anyone in care homes. Nobody cared about the homeless, nobody cared about people flooding the streets with drugs, nobody cared about a lot of things.

Since Covid has come along and many people now worry about their own mortality, we've been shown up for what we are. Selfish. To be honest, I still feel Covid pales in comparison to a lot of these issues but it definitely is the only show in town.

I'm really confused by your logic here. Most of the people that die in an average year are due to natural causes that can't be prevented. The medical world tries to find treatments for all illnesses - sometimes successful sometimes not. Governments put in regulations around the use of cars for example to try to make them safe and put in place speed limits and laws on drink driving etc.

Of course some deaths could be avoided. But I am really struggling to work out what your point is here. Do you think they should open everything up and let thousands die because there has been preventable deaths in other years caused by other things? And apart from the covid deaths let the hospitals get overwhelmed because they have been previously and no one cared?

GetOverTheBar

Your point was that 100s of excess deaths with Covid is extremely bad and disgusting.

I listed some things that also cause excess deaths and are equally bad and disgusting, homelessness, drug issues etc.

We, as a population didn't seem to care too much about these in the past. Maybe something to think about going forward. Or is it a case of, this doesn't affect me.....what odds.

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 18, 2020, 08:14:13 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on December 18, 2020, 07:55:57 AM
Look at the outcomes (much better than here) in the south with schools remaining open

I still don't think that means schools can't be a problem. Driving force or not.

I don't think they are specifically the problem and should be kept open as much as possible but reading here you would seriously believe that the problem in the north is those pesky northerners just not following rules. There is a lot more to it. There are demographic studies that should come out of this.

As SF posted I doubt it is any coincidence that poorer areas get hit harder. Why is that? You only have to read back to some posts from a poster here talking about sick pay in factories. No sick pay means someone without any money goes without food so they go in sick. That spreads further. What happens then? It goes to a child who's in school. What happens then? The child gives it to another child who spreads it about etc. The family of the worker and their workplaces get hit too.

Things like the above are obviously not proven fact however scenarios like that are bound to arise.

There is so much more to this being an issue in the north than pesky northerners not following the rules. There is demographics, lack of faith in government, poor rules being made by government and the list could probably go on.

Also things are magnified by how run down the health service has become.

I think non-compliance is the biggest issue in north.

In the second 'closedown', there was very little personal responsibility.  People did their own thing, then complain when there's another lockdown!!

Saffrongael

That's basically the height of it marty34, we can blame the governments all we want, and very few countries have coped well, but it's hard when people just ignore the guidance and restrictions. And that's what has happened in the 6 counties
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 18, 2020, 11:37:36 AM
Your point was that 100s of excess deaths with Covid is extremely bad and disgusting.

I listed some things that also cause excess deaths and are equally bad and disgusting, homelessness, drug issues etc.

We, as a population didn't seem to care too much about these in the past. Maybe something to think about going forward. Or is it a case of, this doesn't affect me.....what odds.

+1

Nobody cares unless it's a Covid death.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Saffrongael on December 18, 2020, 12:54:37 PM
That's basically the height of it marty34, we can blame the governments all we want, and very few countries have coped well, but it's hard when people just ignore the guidance and restrictions. And that's what has happened in the 6 counties

You could argue its the governments fault in all the countries that haven't done well. A sh*t show everywhere Covid-19 wasn't taken seriously. And that attitude is what flows down to the public.

themac_23

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 18, 2020, 11:23:34 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 18, 2020, 10:55:42 AM

I'm really confused by your logic here. Most of the people that die in an average year are due to natural causes that can't be prevented. The medical world tries to find treatments for all illnesses - sometimes successful sometimes not. Governments put in regulations around the use of cars for example to try to make them safe and put in place speed limits and laws on drink driving etc.

Of course some deaths could be avoided. But I am really struggling to work out what your point is here. Do you think they should open everything up and let thousands die because there has been preventable deaths in other years caused by other things? And apart from the covid deaths let the hospitals get overwhelmed because they have been previously and no one cared?

I think you're a pretty decent read on here RS though we disagree on a lot of the points round Covid and the response, but can I just say that can we stop just saying 'do you want to open everything up' when someone doesn't agree with lockdowns, there's a massive middle ground that can be reached that is neither lockdown or a free for all. the problem is now that the public have been constantly told one thing then another, places opening places closing etc that they've had enough.

this news has really hit hard, my business is considered 'close contact' we have not had 1 case, in fact, I haven't spoken to anyone else in our industry that has had a case due to work, few off isolating due to family members etc but nothing through work, yet we are gonna be closed down again? really hard to stomach, aye robin il enjoy my few days at Christmas ya so generously gave me then on Stephens day I can go back to worrying how im gonna come out the other end of this while you have your nice comfy job up in the hill looking down on us.

imtommygunn

Quote from: marty34 on December 18, 2020, 12:46:12 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 18, 2020, 08:14:13 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on December 18, 2020, 07:55:57 AM
Look at the outcomes (much better than here) in the south with schools remaining open

I still don't think that means schools can't be a problem. Driving force or not.

I don't think they are specifically the problem and should be kept open as much as possible but reading here you would seriously believe that the problem in the north is those pesky northerners just not following rules. There is a lot more to it. There are demographic studies that should come out of this.

As SF posted I doubt it is any coincidence that poorer areas get hit harder. Why is that? You only have to read back to some posts from a poster here talking about sick pay in factories. No sick pay means someone without any money goes without food so they go in sick. That spreads further. What happens then? It goes to a child who's in school. What happens then? The child gives it to another child who spreads it about etc. The family of the worker and their workplaces get hit too.

Things like the above are obviously not proven fact however scenarios like that are bound to arise.

There is so much more to this being an issue in the north than pesky northerners not following the rules. There is demographics, lack of faith in government, poor rules being made by government and the list could probably go on.

Also things are magnified by how run down the health service has become.

I think non-compliance is the biggest issue in north.

In the second 'closedown', there was very little personal responsibility.  People did their own thing, then complain when there's another lockdown!!

It is definitely a big issue issue - I fully agree on that - however there is much more to the spread etc of this than just non compliance.

To be honest I think how it's been dealt with in general basically sums up how dysfunctional this place is. It is very easy to just blame people and self entitlement but it goes from the top down and history is coming back to bite us on things like NHS funding, more "oppressed areas" not being invested in etc etc.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Again I present Michelle "The Christmas Situation" O'Neill and the funeral.

trailer

Few countries have coped so badly would be a better way of putting it. The DUP and SF can tell their wee internet armies that it's all the publics fault if it makes them feel better about their handling of it but the reality is

Sammy Wilson told people not to wear a mask
Edwin Poots said it was Catholics who were spreading it
SF orgnaised a huge funeral and political rally in the middle of it
DUP vetoed restrictions put forward by Dept of health
Michelle O'Neill undermined the message at every chance, schools initially back in March and then blamed the DUP at every bother turnaround
The NHS has undergone huge cuts in NI administered by SF and the DUP and then as bad as that was they took 3 years off.

So excuse me when people say the public aren't following the rules it's a bit f**king rich. SF and the DUP aren't fit to run a bath and would do everyone a massive favour if they resigned their posts and let people who know what they're doing take over. The blame lies squarely at Stormont's door.

GetOverTheBar

Who is everyones money on first to be caught breaking their own rules then flat out refusing to resign?

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 18, 2020, 02:00:25 PM

Again I present Michelle "The Christmas Situation" O'Neill and the funeral.

That whole funeral thing was an actual disgrace

Behaviour like that is exactly what leads to the general population's apathy towards guidelines at the minute

O'Neill should have been gone after that