China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

As an aside, was there not some plan to give families a £100 voucher? In order to get money into local shops etc.

Is it scrapped or was it just a soundbite?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on December 18, 2020, 12:29:45 AM
As an aside, was there not some plan to give families a £100 voucher? In order to get money into local shops etc.

Is it scrapped or was it just a soundbite?

Think planned for new year but yeah maybe get pushed out

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 18, 2020, 12:19:34 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 17, 2020, 11:26:38 PM
Please, let's stop the pretence here. Let's call it what it is.

https://twitter.com/AlastairDonaghy/status/1339586460467355649?s=20

Who is he?

Anyhow there has been 50k plus cases here, so agsin you can see logic in keeping schools open with those numbers even if they are accurate

How many did those number spread it to? How many were asymptomatic? How many weren't tested?

Again I think every attempt should be made to keep schools open as much as possible but I can not see why they get totally discounted from being a part of the problem.

The word driver seems to be focused on with schools here. They are probably not a driver but they are a good vehicle to transmit it.

Saffrongael

Look at the outcomes (much better than here) in the south with schools remaining open
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Taylor

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 18, 2020, 12:19:34 AM

Who is he?

Anyhow there has been 50k plus cases here, so agsin you can see logic in keeping schools open with those numbers even if they are accurate

But remember schools were closed until Sept - so there was nothing to contribute to the overall number coming from schools prior to Sept.

And then you need to think about who the kids are spreading it to at home (asymptomatic or not)

imtommygunn

Quote from: Saffrongael on December 18, 2020, 07:55:57 AM
Look at the outcomes (much better than here) in the south with schools remaining open

I still don't think that means schools can't be a problem. Driving force or not.

I don't think they are specifically the problem and should be kept open as much as possible but reading here you would seriously believe that the problem in the north is those pesky northerners just not following rules. There is a lot more to it. There are demographic studies that should come out of this.

As SF posted I doubt it is any coincidence that poorer areas get hit harder. Why is that? You only have to read back to some posts from a poster here talking about sick pay in factories. No sick pay means someone without any money goes without food so they go in sick. That spreads further. What happens then? It goes to a child who's in school. What happens then? The child gives it to another child who spreads it about etc. The family of the worker and their workplaces get hit too.

Things like the above are obviously not proven fact however scenarios like that are bound to arise.

There is so much more to this being an issue in the north than pesky northerners not following the rules. There is demographics, lack of faith in government, poor rules being made by government and the list could probably go on.

Also things are magnified by how run down the health service has become.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 18, 2020, 08:14:13 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on December 18, 2020, 07:55:57 AM

I still don't think that means schools can't be a problem. Driving force or not.

I don't think they are specifically the problem and should be kept open as much as possible but reading here you would seriously believe that the problem in the north is those pesky northerners just not following rules. There is a lot more to it. There are demographic studies that should come out of this.

As SF posted I doubt it is any coincidence that poorer areas get hit harder. Why is that? You only have to read back to some posts from a poster here talking about sick pay in factories. No sick pay means someone without any money goes without food so they go in sick. That spreads further. What happens then? It goes to a child who's in school. What happens then? The child gives it to another child who spreads it about etc. The family of the worker and their workplaces get hit too.

Things like the above are obviously not proven fact however scenarios like that are bound to arise.

There is so much more to this being an issue in the north than pesky northerners not following the rules. There is demographics, lack of faith in government, poor rules being made by government and the list could probably go on.

Also things are magnified by how run down the health service has become.

Good post

Ed Ricketts

How are cases of school transmission recorded?

Presumably, if a staff member/ pupil picks the thing up in the school that will be recorded as a school transmission.

But when that staff member/ pupil goes home and passes it to the three/ four/ five family members with which they share a house*, how are those cases recorded? I'm guessing those go down in the stats as cases of 'household' transmission.

It's easy to see how the impact of schools could be greatly understated.

*Anecdotal and all, but I'm aware of two separate families in my area where this exact thing has just happened.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Angelo

Out of interest. What have the excess deaths been like in Sept, Oct and Nov?

Or when will we get these figures?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on December 18, 2020, 09:29:12 AM

How are cases of school transmission recorded?

Presumably, if a staff member/ pupil picks the thing up in the school that will be recorded as a school transmission.

But when that staff member/ pupil goes home and passes it to the three/ four/ five family members with which they share a house*, how are those cases recorded? I'm guessing those go down in the stats as cases of 'household' transmission.

*Anecdotal and all, but I'm aware of two separate families in my area where this exact thing has just happened.

We'll never those figures and that type of detail. Not to go conspiratorial on it, but probably for good reason. Same way we never get the names of the people who die daily from Covid or their ages. You become kind of numb to 9/10/11/12 deaths a day.

I truly don't get the people that welcome a total lockdown, but are just fine with the schools staying open. It's like locking the back door at night but leaving the keys in the front door.

bennydorano

Quote from: Angelo on December 18, 2020, 09:39:12 AM

They have been printed in the UK Times every day this week. I think their figures are England and Wales specific tho., recent weekly excess deaths 15% greater than the 5 year average.

Angelo

Quote from: bennydorano on December 18, 2020, 10:06:04 AM

They have been printed in the UK Times every day this week. I think their figures are England and Wales specific tho., recent weekly excess deaths 15% greater than the 5 year average.

5 year average?

What about a bad winter flu season?

armaghniac

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on December 18, 2020, 09:29:12 AM

In schools you sit in a desk with a certain set of people around you. For tracing purposes this is ideal and it is more likely that schools are better measured than most other activities.

There is a general point here is that there is not enough testing and tracing, especially in the 6 counties. The only real alternative to a general lockdown is a local lockdown around people who have Covid by isolating all of their contacts.

I note in England that they are going to test everyone in schools.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Quote from: Angelo on December 18, 2020, 10:08:18 AM

5 year average?

What about them? Sept, Oct & Nov are not Winter.

Angelo

Quote from: bennydorano on December 18, 2020, 10:30:59 AM
Quote from: Angelo on December 18, 2020, 10:08:18 AM

5 year average?

What about them? Sept, Oct & Nov are not Winter.

Nov is generally where the winter flu begins to take up.

We had a very bad flu season in 17/18.

I'd like to see the excess deaths contrast this winter with 17/18.