China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on December 17, 2020, 06:47:35 PM
Ah ffs, the 2 areas, for a period, but it was still the black north's fault.

I don't think they did. There are some high rates in Inishowen, but that is a relatively small number cases in a small population, but I do not think rates generally in Donegal were ever higher. If you have data to the contrary, then fine. There is frustration at the refusal of the North to coordinate things in any meaningful way.

That said, the rate in Kilkenny is just as high as Donegal and it is hard to blame Robin Swann for that.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

illdecide

A new lockdown in Northern Ireland will begin on 26 December, it is understood.

Non-essential shops in NI will close from the end of trading on Christmas Eve in a bid to stop the spread of Covid-19.

The Stormont Executive will review the measures after four weeks.

Close-contact services, such as hair salons, will have to shut and pubs, cafes and restaurants will be restricted to delivering takeaway services.

However, it is understood people from up to three households in Northern Ireland will still be able to meet over the festive period in so-called Christmas "bubbles".

It follows a previous agreement between the UK nations to stick to plans to allow three households to mix between 23 and 27 December.

The new lockdown is being imposed in response to rising numbers of cases of the virus in Northern Ireland.

On Thursday, a further 12 Covid-linked deaths were recorded in NI and a further 656 cases of the virus.

It is understood the rules will include:

Closure of all non-essential retail, including garden centres and homeware shops that previously were deemed essential
Click-and-collect services will not be permitted
Closure of close contact services such as hair and beauty salons
Hospitality businesses will only be allowed to offer takeaway and delivery
Ministers had been presented with three potential start dates for the lockdown: 19 December, 26 December or 2 January, and the executive has been meeting throughout Thursday to agree on the measures.

It is thought that during the first week of lockdown, essential shops allowed to stay open could have to shut by 20:00 GMT each day.

During this week, people would also not be allowed to meet others in private gardens, while restrictions on indoor visits to people's homes will remain in place.

Health officials have also proposed measures to limit the reopening of schools in January.

It is understood a package of interventions will be drawn up by the education and health departments and further discussions on this issue will take place.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Does the bit in bold mean that you can only open if you provide a delivery service?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Capt Pat

New rules and restrictions coming into effect for the Christmas period in the south. This is an example of the government going back on its word. We were told the last lockdown was to allow us to be able to celebrate Christmas. We knew covid figures were going to rise after the lockdown ended. Have another lockdown after Christmas but allow us to enjoy Christmas as we were promised.

bennydorano

Quote from: armaghniac on December 17, 2020, 06:58:40 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 17, 2020, 06:47:35 PM
Ah ffs, the 2 areas, for a period, but it was still the black north's fault.

I don't think they did. There are some high rates in Inishowen, but that is a relatively small number cases in a small population, but I do not think rates generally in Donegal were ever higher. If you have data to the contrary, then fine. There is frustration at the refusal of the North to coordinate things in any meaningful way.

That said, the rate in Kilkenny is just as high as Donegal and it is hard to blame Robin Swann for that.
It was specifically Letterkenny v Derry numbers, it was reported in the Irish News a few weeks back, but again my point was it was the cross border activity being blamed - not the schools, university, factories or whatever else in Letterkenny. A classic case of Poltical deflection or diversion. Its bought day & daily by the public across the world, when you're diverted you're not scrutinising what's in front of you (& I accept overall ROI has done well).

armaghniac

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 17, 2020, 07:39:38 PM
New rules and restrictions coming into effect for the Christmas period in the south. This is an example of the government going back on its word. We were told the last lockdown was to allow us to be able to celebrate Christmas. We knew covid figures were going to rise after the lockdown ended. Have another lockdown after Christmas but allow us to enjoy Christmas as we were promised.

How can you say that the government "went back on its word". It got the lowest rates in Europe, opened up for Christmas and some people did not conduct themselves responsibly, so they ran out of time sooner that they hoped.

Quote from: bennydorano on December 17, 2020, 07:48:09 PM
It was specifically Letterkenny v Derry numbers, it was reported in the Irish News a few weeks back, but again my point was it was the cross border activity being blamed - not the schools, university, factories or whatever else in Letterkenny. A classic case of Poltical deflection or diversion. Its bought day & daily by the public across the world, when you're diverted you're not scrutinising what's in front of you (& I accept overall ROI has done well).

Nevertheless, the regime in Derry for most that time was more lax than in Letterkenny because of political bollocking around in Stormont.

Capt Pat

Quote from: armaghniac on December 17, 2020, 08:00:15 PM

How can you say that the government "went back on its word". It got the lowest rates in Europe, opened up for Christmas and some people did not conduct themselves responsibly, so they ran out of time sooner that they

People sacrificed for Christmas and made plans on that basis, now the government are backtracking. People will die, we know that. We know that we will have to sacrifice somewhere along the line but not Christmas. That is my point of view.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

How can you say that the government "went back on its word". It got the lowest rates in Europe, opened up for Christmas and some people did not conduct themselves responsibly, so they ran out of time sooner that they hoped.

Quote from: bennydorano on December 17, 2020, 07:48:09 PM

Nevertheless, the regime in Derry for most that time was more lax than in Letterkenny because of political bollocking around in Stormont.

Im in both jurisdictions every day. Marked difference from the beginning. ROI much better, Inishowen was very high also mind you, but generally better leadership  in ROI lead to better compliance and less cases. The famous shinner funeral started a steady decline compounded by DUP incompetence

armaghniac

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 17, 2020, 08:30:19 PM

How can you say that the government "went back on its word". It got the lowest rates in Europe, opened up for Christmas and some people did not conduct themselves responsibly, so they ran out of time sooner that they

People sacrificed for Christmas and made plans on that basis, now the government are backtracking. People will die, we know that. We know that we will have to sacrifice somewhere along the line but not Christmas. That is my point of view.

Nobody is proposing changing Christmas, unless you count the 12 days. They are likely to reduce things for the New Year though.

RedHand88

Is it the government's fault that a huge swathe of the population didn't follow the lockdown?

seafoid

Quote from: illdecide on December 17, 2020, 07:15:02 PM
A new lockdown in Northern Ireland will begin on 26 December, it is understood.

Non-essential shops in NI will close from the end of trading on Christmas Eve in a bid to stop the spread of Covid-19.

The Stormont Executive will review the measures after four weeks.

Close-contact services, such as hair salons, will have to shut and pubs, cafes and restaurants will be restricted to delivering takeaway services.

However, it is understood people from up to three households in Northern Ireland will still be able to meet over the festive period in so-called Christmas "bubbles".

It follows a previous agreement between the UK nations to stick to plans to allow three households to mix between 23 and 27 December.

The new lockdown is being imposed in response to rising numbers of cases of the virus in Northern Ireland.

On Thursday, a further 12 Covid-linked deaths were recorded in NI and a further 656 cases of the virus.

It is understood the rules will include:

Closure of all non-essential retail, including garden centres and homeware shops that previously were deemed essential
Click-and-collect services will not be permitted
Closure of close contact services such as hair and beauty salons
Hospitality businesses will only be allowed to offer takeaway and delivery
Ministers had been presented with three potential start dates for the lockdown: 19 December, 26 December or 2 January, and the executive has been meeting throughout Thursday to agree on the measures.

It is thought that during the first week of lockdown, essential shops allowed to stay open could have to shut by 20:00 GMT each day.

During this week, people would also not be allowed to meet others in private gardens, while restrictions on indoor visits to people's homes will remain in place.

Health officials have also proposed measures to limit the reopening of schools in January.

It is understood a package of interventions will be drawn up by the education and health departments and further discussions on this issue will take place.
Will.there be a repeat of this spoken word performance ?

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/video-news/first-minister-arlene-foster-outlines-new-covid-restrictions-39623403.html

Milltown Row2

This lockdown will not bring numbers down unless schools are closed, or rules are enforced!

Nobody in big numbers it seems has followed the rules in the north, what will change?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

I think it's more to do with areas than schools.

It looks like a BT thing...and schools can be hit as an offshoot of that.

I know Belfast schools were badly hit before Halloween. Since then it has been fairly sporadic and for some non-existent.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on December 17, 2020, 09:14:18 PM
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/coronavirus-northern-ireland-situation-is-dire-says-oneill-after-executive-agrees-six-week-lockdown-starting-on-boxing-day-39873751.html

In care homes there are currently 86 active outbreaks of the virus.

This is an aspect of things that should be well improved in a month or two, when the vaccines get into these care homes.