China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: themac_23 on November 20, 2020, 10:16:05 AM
I give up, I haven't really said too much on the subject but I and my brother run a small family business, few staff nothing too big. we have been closed down on a number of occasions, we have had to book and cancel work on and off, its been extremely hard and to say we've tightened our belt is a massive understatement but were trying to keep going and hopefully we can just about keep the lights on.

I am so angry at our politicians, they have constantly kicked the can down the road, the initial lockdown was 100% justified, it worked and gave us time to get a handle on things. but instead of putting something in place for the inevitable spike in the winter when we are always close to capacity they sat and applauded each other and took their holidays. when this is over I think if there is an independent inquiry into this I think there will be a lot of hard questions needing asked and I dont think the public will like the answers.

ive seen on twitter people talking about how this is to give people a Christmas with family, BS I would sacrifice the next 10 christmases and easters with my family and friends if it meant keeping just 1 local shop open and allowing them to keep staff and suppliers in work, its ok for people in government jobs or public sector jobs to say ah well close things down, for private businesses it is not on.

totally scundered with all this

Your's would be a typical experience. Businesses have bent over backwards and shown an amazing amount of resilience. 
There probably will be an enquiry of sorts afterwards - the auditing has already started in England, where it's been shown the Tories blew millions on rogue PPE suppliers.  But if RHI is anything to go by, if there is an enquiry here it will make life uncomfortable for the decision makers, but nothing really will happen, or change.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armamike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 20, 2020, 10:07:27 AM
Quote from: Armamike on November 20, 2020, 09:48:02 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2020, 10:21:55 PM
If all retail and work from home is encouraged then closing schools shouldn't be a hassle

Have you ever tried working at home with young kids?! 

The anger among the business community is at boiling point, if the View was anything to go by last night.  Not so much the need for restrictions but the way things have been botched up the last few weeks and months.  Earlier and clearer restrictions with a support package in place needed. But instead we got a piecemeal fudge, with no support, with inevitable restrictions now in the busiest part of the year.  Bad bad couple of weeks for the DUP but no doubt they'll not suffer at the ballot box.

Been very lucky, as the wife is a teacher, though my kids are adults now, so I'd imagine its tough enough.

Put it like this, you'd need a sympathetic employer!
That's just, like your opinion man.

JohnDenver

I don't envy self employed workers or business owners one bit in the current situation.

If the pot of money that is muted to be available is there, then who is holding up the support payments? Diane Dodds?

Sportacus

I can't help feel there's a bit of double speak from some of the business organisations. Some of them argued against Face masks, then they argued against lockdowns. And the DUP got spooked and wouldn't agree to the obvious which was a hard lockdown early. Now the business organisations are angry because it's open/close/open/close.  I think they've contributed to the mess.

themac_23

Quote from: Sportacus on November 20, 2020, 10:40:11 AM
I can't help feel there's a bit of double speak from some of the business organisations. Some of them argued against Face masks, then they argued against lockdowns. And the DUP got spooked and wouldn't agree to the obvious which was a hard lockdown early. Now the business organisations are angry because it's open/close/open/close.  I think they've contributed to the mess.

How have people trying to make a living contributed to the mess? that's a very crass statement. you mean the facemarks that for a long time we were told would make no difference?

You realise businesses have to purchase stock in advance? for example people saying ah cafes shouldn't open for 1 week its not worth it, what about the cafes who have probably ordered stock that otherwise will have to be thrown out costing them more money they dont have?

Lets be clear, the reason for lockdowns are failures in policy (I use that term loosely) had our govt got a plan in place around may/ June for the winter then we could have got through this a lot easier, but they didn't, we went from week to week and a 'lets see' policy.

it is not the virus that is causing this its the govt making the decisions. an example. if I take my car for a service and the mechanic tells me its dead on at the min but the timing belt is gonna go in 20k miles and needs replaced soon, I go dead on and driver on and it goes at 19k wrecking my engine and leaving me without a car, is it the timing belts fault or is it my fault for not doing something about it sooner and leaving it to the last minute? You can be proactive or reactive and our government have been constantly reactive, which, anyone will tell you will eventually blow up in your face.

Sportacus

I said business organisations, not businesses.
And I could go on all day criticising the ineptitude of our politicians, but I was leaving that to others.

Taylor

The problem with the government is the planning - zero guidance and making decisions at the last minute.
All because they are incompetent pricks.

Make no mistake the green and orange is the problem here - but sure at the next election nothing will change.

I think a government where the main party are neutral could go quite well.

This lockdown is nothing like the one in March because schools are open - biggest spreader of Covid.

And whisper it quietly............if a child if off school because of Covid or isolatio,n teachers have been told to mark the child in as present.
The attendance records wont look as bad and we will not have a clear view of the amount of kids off school.
Nice one Mr Weir

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on November 20, 2020, 10:57:58 AM
The problem with the government is the planning - zero guidance and making decisions at the last minute.

Make no mistake the green and orange is the problem here - but sure at the next election nothing will change.

This lockdown is nothing like the one in March because schools are open - biggest spreader of Covid.

And whisper it quietly............if a child if off school because of Covid or isolatio,n teachers have been told to mark the child in as present.
The attendance records wont look as bad and we will not have a clear view of the amount of kids off school.
Nice one Mr Weir

My own daughter was off for 2 weeks, they were given work and classes were done on line, so while they were not in, they were still expected to produce work.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Nice one Mr Weir

Where is your evidence firstly that schools are biggest spreaders and secondly that they are marking people present?

What we do know but is that the official figures on death arent right because certs are not accurate!

lfdown2

I have no doubt schools and third level education are having an impact on the number of cases, however I have yet to see any proposals to help manage that better, because as far as I understand every kid has a right to an education, on top of that and unfortunately, school is the only safe place for a large number of kids and somewhere they can get a decent meal.

I asked the following on the teachers thread with no response;

"From a secondary teacher's experience, does blended learning work? Does it negatively affect kids from (for want of a better term) a lower socio economic background to a greater degree?

Has anything been done to facilitate future blended learning since returning to school full time?"

Those in the private sector have had to evolve to survive and what is clear is that even that evolution of businesses has not been enough as they face in to another lock down. However in the public sector there appears (this is directed at unions) to be a 'not my job' attitude. Our politicians have time and time again made it clear that they have no desire to close schools again, therefore if the teaching unions as they would have you believe are actually interested in the H&S of their staff what innovative or otherwise approached have they proposed to make their work environment safer?

Taylor

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 20, 2020, 11:27:51 AM

Nice one Mr Weir

Where is your evidence firstly that schools are biggest spreaders and secondly that they are marking people present?

What we do know but is that the official figures on death arent right because certs are not accurate!

I will find it for you.

In the meantime its great to see the numbers drop during the current lockdown isnt it?

armaghniac

Quote from: themac_23 on November 20, 2020, 10:48:19 AM
Quote from: Sportacus on November 20, 2020, 10:40:11 AM

How have people trying to make a living contributed to the mess? that's a very crass statement. you mean the facemarks that for a long time we were told would make no difference?

You realise businesses have to purchase stock in advance? for example people saying ah cafes shouldn't open for 1 week its not worth it, what about the cafes who have probably ordered stock that otherwise will have to be thrown out costing them more money they dont have?

Lets be clear, the reason for lockdowns are failures in policy (I use that term loosely) had our govt got a plan in place around may/ June for the winter then we could have got through this a lot easier, but they didn't, we went from week to week and a 'lets see' policy.

it is not the virus that is causing this its the govt making the decisions. an example. if I take my car for a service and the mechanic tells me its dead on at the min but the timing belt is gonna go in 20k miles and needs replaced soon, I go dead on and driver on and it goes at 19k wrecking my engine and leaving me without a car, is it the timing belts fault or is it my fault for not doing something about it sooner and leaving it to the last minute? You can be proactive or reactive and our government have been constantly reactive, which, anyone will tell you will eventually blow up in your face.

The low rates achieved in the summer were hard earned and were squandered. A simple extrapolation of the R value would indicate that trouble was coming down the road, any reduction in that value would have allowed things keep open longer. Yet, everyone is agitating for what they want, on the basis that it doesn't make much difference, when the aggregate effect of all of these things did mean that we are where we are. Business didn't help, rather than get on board they say things like enforcing masks is not our job, let someone else do it. They should have said we will do our bit and not allow anyone without a mask be served in our premises. Government has failed, they are willing to close things, but are not willing to require detailed strict regulations on those places open.

On the schools thing, as far as I know universities are all electronic teaching bar labs where you mix chemicals and the like. The problems are being caused by the delinquent recreational activities of students. Some form of blended learning would also be appropriate for old school students, but the authorities have done nothing to plan this. As for the contention that schools cause most Covid transmission, this is obviously nonsense as schools have remained open and rates have fallen in recent times throughout Europe. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lfdown2

Quote from: Taylor on November 20, 2020, 11:54:20 AM

Nice one Mr Weir

I will find it for you.

In the meantime its great to see the numbers drop during the current lockdown isnt it?

They have dropped - not to where they need to be but they are about half of what they were last month.

What is the solution? Close all schools? For how long? Try and make the time up later in the year or just accept it as collateral damage?

Taylor

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 20, 2020, 11:58:19 AM
Quote from: Taylor on November 20, 2020, 11:54:20 AM

Nice one Mr Weir

I will find it for you.

They have dropped - not to where they need to be but they are about half of what they were last month.

What is the solution? Close all schools? For how long? Try and make the time up later in the year or just accept it as collateral damage?

May have been exaggerating about schools being the worst - apologies - however they absolutely help spread it - that is a given.

Regarding marking kids in who are absent due to Covid related (have it or self isolation) - it is absolutely happening.
Not sure how I can give evidence on it?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 20, 2020, 11:41:26 AM
I have no doubt schools and third level education are having an impact on the number of cases, however I have yet to see any proposals to help manage that better, because as far as I understand every kid has a right to an education, on top of that and unfortunately, school is the only safe place for a large number of kids and somewhere they can get a decent meal.

I asked the following on the teachers thread with no response;

"From a secondary teacher's experience, does blended learning work? Does it negatively affect kids from (for want of a better term) a lower socio economic background to a greater degree?

Has anything been done to facilitate future blended learning since returning to school full time?"

Those in the private sector have had to evolve to survive and what is clear is that even that evolution of businesses has not been enough as they face in to another lock down. However in the public sector there appears (this is directed at unions) to be a 'not my job' attitude. Our politicians have time and time again made it clear that they have no desire to close schools again, therefore if the teaching unions as they would have you believe are actually interested in the H&S of their staff what innovative or otherwise approached have they proposed to make their work environment safer?

Third level classes almost non existent atm-its almost all zoom classes outside lab  work. Now parties in Holylands that's a different thing