China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

If all retail and work from home is encouraged then closing schools shouldn't be a hassle
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

93-DY-SAM

There is no win win here and there never has been and never will be until the vaccination process kicks in. No matter what decisions are made it is going to upset and hurt someone. COVID doesn't give a shite about any of this. Mind you it is not helped by the clowns on the hill. They managed to make some kind of a fist of things earlier in the year but in the last few months it's been f**k up after f**k up. Time they stepped up and started supporting business and jobs.

I see a lot of people on social media banging on about we need a plan to live with this and we can't keep having lockdowns. They are right but what they don't want to acknowledge is that there is a plan it's just a large percentage of people don't want to follow the rules. Following the rules won't make COVID magically disappear but it will keep things running at some level of normality and manageable.

Smurfy123

Why not cut to the chase and close everything down from tomorrow ?
Shops Hairdressers Cafes Schools gyms leisure centres all packed next week
Expect a spike in about 12 days

JimStynes

Are teachers the new heroes? Working on the front line each day. Actually, f**k them. They get paid far too much and get too many holidays.

Kidder81

Quote from: JimStynes on November 19, 2020, 11:36:06 PM
Are teachers the new heroes? Working on the front line each day. Actually, f**k them. They get paid far too much and get too many holidays.

No

Mikhail Prokhorov

usual sh*tshow in the sick counties, couldn't run a bath ffs

RedHand88

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 19, 2020, 10:19:41 PM
Quote from: general_lee on November 19, 2020, 10:02:18 PM
Why can they not close schools? Or operate on alternate weeks eg half of each year group attend class via zoom at home while the other half is physically in the school building?

Because closing school puts pressure on working Parents.

Because closing school means the kids will hang out together anyway.

Because closing schools puts pressure on finishing School curriculums.

Because Schools have been closed for 3 and a half months already.

Because Teachers get full wages whether Schools are open or closed.

Because everybody else is getting on with things.

Because Economics and Science have merged and are try to keep this sh1t show going!

Can we get this blown up 10 by 10 and put onto every billboard in the country please. Some of the comments im reading tonight on twitter would depress you.

LCohen

Why can they not close schools? Or operate on alternate weeks eg half of each year group attend class via zoom at home while the other half is physically in the school building?

Alternate weeks has a lot of problems.

Of the options available it's a complete wrecker for the economy. Full lock downs but timed to be in line with elongated school breaks is probably better. Announce them well in advance and really focus on compliance during the lockdowns. Just to take the heat out of the situation until we have a better range of tools. In the run up and early parts of the winter especially

If schools are part of the lockdown they will be more effective. If they are more effective then more sectors can be considered to be opened in between. Considered but not a free for all. The clear start and end dates allows sectors to plan

None of this is ideal but we have to look for what is the best available option.

Needless to say personal compliance remains the key. Non compliance fecks this up for everyone

thewobbler

Quote from: LCohen on November 20, 2020, 08:24:40 AM

Of the options available it's a complete wrecker for the economy. Full lock downs but timed to be in line with elongated school breaks is probably better. Announce them well in advance and really focus on compliance during the lockdowns. Just to take the heat out of the situation until we have a better range of tools. In the run up and early parts of the winter especially

If schools are part of the lockdown they will be more effective. If they are more effective then more sectors can be considered to be opened in between. Considered but not a free for all. The clear start and end dates allows sectors to plan

None of this is ideal but we have to look for what is the best available option.

Needless to say personal compliance remains the key. Non compliance fecks this up for everyone

Personal compliance matters little if your kid is infected in school, never shows any symptoms, but passes it onto all your daily family members, who spend a week spreading it, before one of them starts to cough a little.

Or do we expect that the guys on the till at Tesco should have a 6th sense?

GetOverTheBar

Disgusting from all at Stormont.

And not one with the heart to do an interview last night.

LCohen

Quote from: thewobbler on November 20, 2020, 08:39:05 AM
Quote from: LCohen on November 20, 2020, 08:24:40 AM

Personal compliance matters little if your kid is infected in school, never shows any symptoms, but passes it onto all your daily family members, who spend a week spreading it, before one of them starts to cough a little.

Or do we expect that the guys on the till at Tesco should have a 6th sense?

Well apparently you have to decide not to get Covid. I refer you to Angelo for further detail.

By compliance I mean sticking to the rules and guidelines as a minimum

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 20, 2020, 08:04:56 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 19, 2020, 10:19:41 PM

Because closing school puts pressure on working Parents.

Because closing school means the kids will hang out together anyway.

Because closing schools puts pressure on finishing School curriculums.

Because Schools have been closed for 3 and a half months already.

Because Teachers get full wages whether Schools are open or closed.

Because everybody else is getting on with things.

Because Economics and Science have merged and are try to keep this sh1t show going!

Can we get this blown up 10 by 10 and put onto every billboard in the country please. Some of the comments in reading tonight on twitter would depress you.

Do you know the most depressing thing is for me. Politicians all gloating on twitter about "I told you so" instaed of trying to suggest solutoinss. A lot of the small businesses are still waiting their financial help here in Derry from 7 weeks ago(we shut down 2 weeks earlier)

Armamike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2020, 10:21:55 PM
If all retail and work from home is encouraged then closing schools shouldn't be a hassle

Have you ever tried working at home with young kids?! 

The anger among the business community is at boiling point, if the View was anything to go by last night.  Not so much the need for restrictions but the way things have been botched up the last few weeks and months.  Earlier and clearer restrictions with a support package in place needed. But instead we got a piecemeal fudge, with no support, with inevitable restrictions now in the busiest part of the year.  Bad bad couple of weeks for the DUP but no doubt they'll not suffer at the ballot box.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armamike on November 20, 2020, 09:48:02 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2020, 10:21:55 PM

Have you ever tried working at home with young kids?! 

The anger among the business community is at boiling point, if the View was anything to go by last night.  Not so much the need for restrictions but the way things have been botched up the last few weeks and months.  Earlier and clearer restrictions with a support package in place needed. But instead we got a piecemeal fudge, with no support, with inevitable restrictions now in the busiest part of the year.  Bad bad couple of weeks for the DUP but no doubt they'll not suffer at the ballot box.

Been very lucky, as the wife is a teacher, though my kids are adults now, so I'd imagine its tough enough.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

themac_23

I give up, I haven't really said too much on the subject but I and my brother run a small family business, few staff nothing too big. we have been closed down on a number of occasions, we have had to book and cancel work on and off, its been extremely hard and to say we've tightened our belt is a massive understatement but were trying to keep going and hopefully we can just about keep the lights on.

I am so angry at our politicians, they have constantly kicked the can down the road, the initial lockdown was 100% justified, it worked and gave us time to get a handle on things. but instead of putting something in place for the inevitable spike in the winter when we are always close to capacity they sat and applauded each other and took their holidays. when this is over I think if there is an independent inquiry into this I think there will be a lot of hard questions needing asked and I dont think the public will like the answers.

ive seen on twitter people talking about how this is to give people a Christmas with family, BS I would sacrifice the next 10 christmases and easters with my family and friends if it meant keeping just 1 local shop open and allowing them to keep staff and suppliers in work, its ok for people in government jobs or public sector jobs to say ah well close things down, for private businesses it is not on.

totally scundered with all this