China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Schools must remain open where possible.

Mental health is suffering amongst our young big time at secondary level. At nursery level our children are suffering with social development. Parent want the schools open. Who provides care or supports working parents if the children are sent home?

thewobbler

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 19, 2020, 12:28:19 PM

Mental health is suffering amongst our young big time at secondary level. At nursery level our children are suffering with social development. Parent want the schools open. Who provides care or supports working parents if the children are sent home?

Who is it, apart from teachers, who work only 9.15am-2.45pm, thereby negating the need for any outside childcare ?

imtommygunn

I also don't agree with the blanket blame of people are stupid and ignorant etc. Yes some people are. We now have it in our house and it's got nothing to do with not abiding by rules or being stupid or ignorant.

There's a lot more to it than stupidness / ignorance and also based on a call I had with a public health woman on monday they are seeing more than just the wee bullet point list of symptoms. It manifests itself differently across different people. Some just presented headaches being one example.

I would say there's mileage in the difference in demographic between up north and down south too. It's not as simple as people are stupid and ignorant. *Some* people being stupid and ignorant is clearly not helping yes however that is far from always the case.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 19, 2020, 12:53:17 PM
I also don't agree with the blanket blame of people are stupid and ignorant etc. Yes some people are. We now have it in our house and it's got nothing to do with not abiding by rules or being stupid or ignorant.

There's a lot more to it than stupidness / ignorance and also based on a call I had with a public health woman on monday they are seeing more than just the wee bullet point list of symptoms. It manifests itself differently across different people. Some just presented headaches being one example.

I would say there's mileage in the difference in demographic between up north and down south too. It's not as simple as people are stupid and ignorant. *Some* people being stupid and ignorant is clearly not helping yes however that is far from always the case.

Absolutely, there is too much nearly shaming with regards to Covid.

This time last year if you had a runny nose or a sore head you'd be sitting at your desk getting on with it thinking about going to the cot later tonight.

Some people are just going to get this, whatever the kink is in the DNA someone more informed might be able to comment. Some will have had it reading this and not even know.  The vast majority will never have it, it's just one of these strange things.

Hope all is well at home and everyone gets through it no bother.

imtommygunn

So our one year old tested positive on monday which was a bit of a shock to the system. I think the baby part of the nursery is now shut though we can't go near it anyway but we would feel a bit guilty about that though tbh it's the only place I can really see it having come from.

Like you say there can be a shaming. Ah I follow guidelines I don't get it - you mustn't be following guidelines. Well we did too.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: thewobbler on November 19, 2020, 12:30:10 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 19, 2020, 12:28:19 PM

Who is it, apart from teachers, who work only 9.15am-2.45pm, thereby negating the need for any outside childcare ?

Not sure I follow

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 19, 2020, 01:07:54 PM
So our one year old tested positive on monday which was a bit of a shock to the system. I think the baby part of the nursery is now shut though we can't go near it anyway but we would feel a bit guilty about that though tbh it's the only place I can really see it having come from.

Like you say there can be a shaming. Ah I follow guidelines I don't get it - you mustn't be following guidelines. Well we did too.

I hope he/she keeps well.
Myself, my mother and nephew had it. Thankfully we all recovered well

armaghniac

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 19, 2020, 11:38:29 AM
A few points on schools.
My wife is a teacher in a primary school and they have a number of parents sending their kids to school even though they themselves have tested positive. The school finds out through other channels, such as other parents informing them.

They have had cases of parents sending kids to school while awaiting results of tests. One specific case, a parent dropped child off at the door and walked away, only to walk back 5 mins later to say her results had just come back and she's positive and so needs to take her kid home. Neither should have been out of the house when waiting results.

Several teachers and teaching assistants have had to go off with covid and/or isolating.

In all of these cases, no other children or staff were asked to isolate by the school (I dont actually know what should happen though).

Separately, I have two older kids in secondary school. Both have had close friends diagnose positive and in both cases neither of their classes were asked to isolate at home (again I dont know the regulations here).

My wife had an email last night from a teachers union asking teachers to inform the union if their principles had been asking them not to take tests or report isolated incidents of children testing positive. Apparently some head teachers are doing this.

So, what does all this mean?
Personally, I think we don't have a clear view on the problem from schools for a number of reasons. People are not taking responsibility and isolating themselves or family when they should be. They are not always informing the schools of testing or positive tests. And the schools, for what ever reason, are potentially not reporting all incidents or are not isolating class groups when they should be (based in anecdotal info).

The point is that schools could be run in a fairly safe way, but many are not, for various reasons.

One thing that is clear, the health service is on its knees. The DUP in particular I feel have contributed to this greatly.
The wider public are not following the rules as stringently as they should be and there is a sizeable group of people who are not following any rules but their own.

Swann has called for the restrictions to be extended, as the health service is at full capacity. As Christmas is bound to make things worse, it is vary dangerous to have the health capacity already stretched before you come into it.
[/quote]
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 19, 2020, 01:11:28 PM

Thanks. He's had it minimum a week now and tbh if you didn't know you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with him at all. It's me and the wife I'd be more worried about now!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 19, 2020, 01:21:38 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 19, 2020, 01:11:28 PM

Thanks. He's had it minimum a week now and tbh if you didn't know you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with him at all. It's me and the wife I'd be more worried about now!

We dont fully understand how it spreads. My immediate family and I isolated at home, but we all went about our normal business within the household during that time and strangely nobody else got it. It was the same in the other 2 households I mentioned.

themac_23

Quote from: armaghniac on November 19, 2020, 01:18:03 PM
A few points on schools.
My wife is a teacher in a primary school and they have a number of parents sending their kids to school even though they themselves have tested positive. The school finds out through other channels, such as other parents informing them.

They have had cases of parents sending kids to school while awaiting results of tests. One specific case, a parent dropped child off at the door and walked away, only to walk back 5 mins later to say her results had just come back and she's positive and so needs to take her kid home. Neither should have been out of the house when waiting results.

Several teachers and teaching assistants have had to go off with covid and/or isolating.

In all of these cases, no other children or staff were asked to isolate by the school (I dont actually know what should happen though).

Separately, I have two older kids in secondary school. Both have had close friends diagnose positive and in both cases neither of their classes were asked to isolate at home (again I dont know the regulations here).

My wife had an email last night from a teachers union asking teachers to inform the union if their principles had been asking them not to take tests or report isolated incidents of children testing positive. Apparently some head teachers are doing this.

Personally, I think we don't have a clear view on the problem from schools for a number of reasons. People are not taking responsibility and isolating themselves or family when they should be. They are not always informing the schools of testing or positive tests. And the schools, for what ever reason, are potentially not reporting all incidents or are not isolating class groups when they should be (based in anecdotal info).

The point is that schools could be run in a fairly safe way, but many are not, for various reasons.

One thing that is clear, the health service is on its knees. The DUP in particular I feel have contributed to this greatly.
The wider public are not following the rules as stringently as they should be and there is a sizeable group of people who are not following any rules but their own.

Swann has called for the restrictions to be extended, as the health service is at full capacity. As Christmas is bound to make things worse, it is vary dangerous to have the health capacity already stretched before you come into it.
[/quote]

I think the politicians aren't getting anywhere near enough tough questions asked of them regards this, we are now 9 months into this, the first lockdown was 100% required and done well, but there was no forward planning put in place, why were politicians sitting in the summer patting themselves on the back about low numbers instead of looking to the winter months when our NHS is historically always stretched and trying to implement something to ease the burden. Covid isn't stretching our NHS, history tells us that winter is always tough on the health service, politicians and their constant kick the can down the road mentality is what is killing the NHS and putting it under pressure, if a lack of ICU beds is what's meaning tighter restrictions then that's not on Covid that's on years of cuts and trying to get blood out of a stone, our health service has been on the brink for years.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: themac_23 on November 19, 2020, 01:32:53 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 19, 2020, 01:18:03 PM
A few points on schools.

I think the politicians aren't getting anywhere near enough tough questions asked of them regards this, we are now 9 months into this, the first lockdown was 100% required and done well, but there was no forward planning put in place, why were politicians sitting in the summer patting themselves on the back about low numbers instead of looking to the winter months when our NHS is historically always stretched and trying to implement something to ease the burden. Covid isn't stretching our NHS, history tells us that winter is always tough on the health service, politicians and their constant kick the can down the road mentality is what is killing the NHS and putting it under pressure, if a lack of ICU beds is what's meaning tighter restrictions then that's not on Covid that's on years of cuts and trying to get blood out of a stone, our health service has been on the brink for years.
[/quote]

Yes. Why? Our politicians set our local NHS back 3 years with no activity at Stormont and then, I stand corrected on this if im wrong, no major changes were made since March either.

imtommygunn

It has probably been on the brink for more than 3 years but the 3 years most certainly haven't helped. I imagine that with the current covid scenario they can't really do any major changes. What they do if or when we get over this is the question.

Farrandeelin

Circuit breaker for NI for two weeks from next Friday.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 19, 2020, 08:49:14 PM
Circuit breaker for NI for two weeks from next Friday.

Are we not on a circuit breaker?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea