China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDenver

Looks like Sweden have changed their approach and moved towards lockdown.....

https://t.co/u7iTUJW4Ns?amp=1

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on November 16, 2020, 01:12:09 PM
It seems a lot of these vaccines are using the same approach so we hopefully see a raft of other vaccines passing all the required due diligence.

Plenty of stuff in this article, if you have time on your hands.

Quote from: JohnDenver on November 16, 2020, 02:27:53 PM

Virus control for slow learners. 

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

Pfizer release more data on their vaccine which shows a 95% efficacy, about the same as Moderna, but perhaps better for people in older age groups.
That said nobody with the Moderna virus got a bad case of Covid where one person with Pfizer did. No doubt they'll be looking carefully at that person.

In global phase 3 trials involving more than 43,000 people, 170 were observed to have contracted coronavirus, out of which 162 had been given a placebo, the companies said. Just eight of those who had received two shots of the BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine developed the disease and only one became seriously ill, while nine of the placebo group developed severe Covid-19.

https://www.ft.com/content/cd7973f0-3f06-4a54-a79e-1f705a80fc2d

Rossfan

379 in 26.
519 in 6 (equivalent c 1330).
Daily numbers not reducing in the 26.
As for the 6....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2020, 06:12:57 PM
379 in 26.
As for the 6....

There was a while there when the 7 figures in the 6 counties were only about 4% down on the previous 7 days, now it is more like 9% difference. Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon and Fermanagh  and Omagh have gone up. The DUP want to open up from this weekend, 500 cases/day is not great place to start off from.

thewobbler

Re community transmission, and numbers that refuse to fall.

Why is no politician or consultant yet willing to admit that keeping schools open while shutting down everything else, is largely an exercise in futility? 

I mean just how long should we cling to the notion that 16 year old John won't spread Covid because he's in school, but his 18 year old brother will spread it if he gets a haircut.

——

I'm not demanding that schools are shut by the way. It just seems that current policy is like turning the heating on and lighting the fire, while opening all the windows and doors.

Smurfy123

Schools seem to be a major problem
Obviously off course
Just admit it
So let me get this straight
Robbie Swann is bringing more recommendations to the table tomorrow about tightening further restrictions just as they are opening close contact places like barbers salons cafes  etc
You actually couldn't make this up
What other places can he suggest we tighten up? Only thing I can think of is to close all retail?? That won't happen will it?

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on November 18, 2020, 06:23:43 PM

Why is no politician or consultant yet willing to admit that keeping schools open while shutting down everything else, is largely an exercise in futility? 

I mean just how long should we cling to the notion that 16 year old John won't spread Covid because he's in school, but his 18 year old brother will spread it if he gets a haircut.

——

I'm not demanding that schools are shut by the way. It just seems that current policy is like turning the heating on and lighting the fire, while opening all the windows and doors.

I think that's the point. It's a pragmatic decision given that we are not trying to eradicate , there are risks/benefit analysis decisions made on all restrictions . Difficult decisions all, as this isn't an exact science

thewobbler

Quote from: 6th sam on November 18, 2020, 06:40:01 PM

——

I think that's the point. It's a pragmatic decision given that we are not trying to eradicate , there are risks/benefit analysis decisions made on all restrictions . Difficult decisions all, as this isn't an exact science

The pragmatism is lost on me.

The quickest way to infect a rural community is through a school. The most effective way to infect pensioners is through the grandchildren they pick up and mind for 2-5 hours a day. The slowest way to detect this infection is through largely asymptomatic children.

GetOverTheBar

379 in 26.
As for the 6....

You seem to take a bit of pleasure in the North struggling?

armaghniac

Schools are a risk factor, to be sure. However, people sit at school with the same group each day, the problem with retail, hairdressers, restaurants etc is the continual different mix of people which makes any sort of useful tracking and tracing impossible. Schools, especially primary ones, give a lot of value for a moderate risk.

——

QuoteI'm not demanding that schools are shut by the way. It just seems that current policy is like turning the heating on and lighting the fire, while opening all the windows and doors.

I think schools vary greatly in their organisation level to deal with this.
Quote from: thewobbler on November 18, 2020, 06:49:19 PM

QuoteThe most effective way to infect pensioners is through the grandchildren they pick up and mind for 2-5 hours a day. The slowest way to detect this infection is through largely asymptomatic children.

This is a separate risk factor, people should be careful about the pensioners in their family.

Rossfan

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 18, 2020, 07:46:43 PM
379 in 26.
As for the 6....

No, just trying to point out to ye how comparatively more widespread ye have it.
We'd be closed down till Christmas if we had that amount of it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2020, 08:22:40 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 18, 2020, 07:46:43 PM
379 in 26.
As for the 6....

No, just trying to point out to ye how comparatively more widespread ye have it.
We'd be closed down till Christmas if we had that amount of it.

Life is cheaper in the 6 counties.

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on November 16, 2020, 03:44:37 PM
It seems a lot of these vaccines are using the same approach so we hopefully see a raft of other vaccines passing all the required due diligence.

I doubt you read the article, if you did read it  there is a complete lack of comprehension. There is hardly any change to the social advice which has been followed voluntarily without the need for widespread police intervention.  There is no lockdown in place.

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on November 19, 2020, 12:25:14 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 16, 2020, 03:44:37 PM

I doubt you read the article, if you did read it  there is a complete lack of comprehension. There is hardly any change to the social advice which has been followed voluntarily without the need for widespread police intervention.  There is no lockdown in place.

That's just a lockdown for responsible people, while yobs do what they like. A bit like here then.