China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

A mere 600 odd today :o

Hospital occupancy back at over 100% too.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 12, 2020, 05:21:34 PM
People are sick of it. Sick of the politicians in the North and South. Pretty much everyone socially and in work I talk to now is along the lines of "lets get on with it".

I'm not saying I agree with it, it's not my view. But I can definitely sense over the last 4 weeks especially the good will has gone for whatever reasons.

The bars and hotels in the North "making the decision for the Government" is probably the start of it, if the North doesn't act in the next 24 hours this weekend will be a shambles.

Time for some people to grow the fukk up.

Better to be sick of it than sick with it.

The politicians really have made a balls of it.

Lockdown should never have been for X weeks. It should have been "we're locking down until new cases day measured over a 3 day average are less than X and the total number of people in hospital are less than Y". The public want it to finish quicker? Then follow the fukking rules.

i usse an speelchekor

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 13, 2020, 04:54:50 PM
A mere 600 odd today :o

Hospital occupancy back at over 100% too.

And they spent all week chatting about how to open up the whole show!

What was the point in the last four weeks if you're going to loosen restrictions before they have had sufficient impact?

Useless f**kers half arseing things as usual. No one with the authority or courage to make difficult decisions and then stand over them.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

RedHand88

An awful lot of people are not wearing masks in shops in Belfast.

Rossfan

With the Dinosaur Unionist Party in the Executive logic will continue to be defied.
Looks like we're going to be pretty restricted till about 18th December in the 26.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

Given Angelo can't be f**ked presenting any evidence to support his yapping about tunnel vision...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/11/a-look-at-the-psychological-burdens-of-covid-lockdowns/

QuoteAbout 30 percent scored above the cutoff that would mark them as having at least moderate psychological distress. This was particularly pronounced among younger participants—just under half of the 18-24 age group reported that level of distress. When it came to anxiety, just over 15 percent scored in the moderate-to-severe category. As with distress, anxiety dropped as people got older. Just under 40 percent reported poor well-being on the WHO scale (with only 9 percent falling in the excellent category).

In pre-pandemic surveys, only about 8 percent of the population reported distress, while only a quarter had reported poor well-being based on the WHO scale. So, it's clear that the lockdown conditions seemed to be making things more difficult for people. About 20 percent of the population had a previous diagnosis of a mental health condition, but they only accounted for about 10 of the 30 percent who were in distress during lockdown. About half of those who had a previous diagnosis felt like things had gotten worse during the pandemic, while only 15 percent felt that things were better during lockdown.

Six percent of the population had thoughts of suicide during the lockdown, which isn't good. But over 80 percent of those had had similar thoughts prior to the onset of lockdown, so most of this may have involved triggering an underlying tendency.

Despite all of this, a surprising number of those surveyed saw bright spots in the lockdown. About 45 percent of respondents found some positive aspects for themselves personally, while 38 percent felt that there were positive aspects for society. The positive responses ranged from the chance to spend more time with family to an enjoyment of the lower noise and pollution that resulted from fewer people leaving their houses. A number also enjoyed working from home.

So, the data confirms what everyone has suspected: lockdowns come with a psychological cost. But beyond that, the data offers an abundance of potentially helpful information. This includes identifying people who may be most at risk for problems due to an extended lockdown: younger adults and those with a history of mental health diagnoses. These individuals could potentially be targeted by public health officials in ways that can minimize the impacts of the lockdown. The data also suggests that there are things people might find valuable in the lockdown, which could be emphasized in order to make people more conscious of them.

i usse an speelchekor

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on November 13, 2020, 05:50:59 PM
With the Dinosaur Unionist Party in the Executive logic will continue to be defied.
Looks like we're going to be pretty restricted till about 18th December in the 26.

Where did you hear that?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

The Cork goalkeeper's dad on the wireless today saying they hope to reduce restrictions a bit in early December and then nearer Christmas letting families travel to meet, Church services etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 13, 2020, 05:50:13 PM
An awful lot of people are not wearing masks in shops in Belfast.

should that be a lot of awful people?
they need to require shops not to admit such people.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

To be fair anywhere I have been in Belfast it would be an exception that people aren't wearing masks. Suppose it depends where you are.

Milltown Row2

Same, though wasn't in work today, but the place is full of alco's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2020, 07:00:11 PM
Same, though wasn't in work today, but the place is full of alco's

In my work they have a diversity of drugs.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sid waddell

Any news on Sweden?

Could have sworn I read they had nearly 6,000 cases and 42 deaths in their latest daily figures

Probably just my imagination though, because the self appointed internet experts™ tell us Sweden got it right, and I can't believe the self appointed internet experts™ would be wrong

GetOverTheBar

You sound like you are happy to report those cases and deaths.

sid waddell

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 13, 2020, 11:54:50 PM
You sound like you are happy to report those cases and deaths.
Classic moronic reflex reaction from somebody who has bought into the world of far right propaganda

When the utter nonsense they've cheerled for months predictably turns out to be utter nonsense, the reaction then is to claim that people who called the nonsense for what it is "wanted people to die"

There's a genuine mental illness in this sort of reaction

People called out the nonsense of herd immunity and the nonsense of Sweden's approach for what they were because they didn't want a load of people to die

A genuine cult-like stupidity has spread like a cancer through the world and the quoted post here is a very good example

Hannah Arendt would have had a field day with it