China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on November 06, 2020, 04:44:30 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 06, 2020, 04:03:57 PM

Bars are and were a very minimal contributing factor, they just are a massive scapegoat.

It's been shown twice now that the bigger factors are elsewhere. And maybe we still don't fully understand that yet. I'm not saying get the bars open this weekend whatsoever, but it's very lazy now to suggest that they are a major factor.

I thought the era of fake news was over. Bars have been a problem in every country. It has not been shown that the bigger factors are elsewhere, it has only been shown that it is easier to associate people when they are in your house or they sit beside you at school.

So after 3 weeks numbers sitting at 600 cases can we still blame the bars? I'm not advocating open up the bars, I'm just not seeing the facts that the bars were or are the major factor that was made out, especially after the effort they made to control their premises..

I still have no clue how this thing just continues to grow with no real established method of controlling it, my daughter is home from college, the other daughter is home from school for next 2 weeks after a kid in their year caught it, mate got it the other week and a few clients have got it very recently, none of them at the pub!

Nearly lost a good client of mine recently, he was very anti mask when I'd been with him, I wonder what his attitude will be when I see him next week
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 06, 2020, 06:12:13 PM

Bars are and were a very minimal contributing factor, they just are a massive scapegoat.

It's been shown twice now that the bigger factors are elsewhere. And maybe we still don't fully understand that yet. I'm not saying get the bars open this weekend whatsoever, but it's very lazy now to suggest that they are a major factor.

I thought the era of fake news was over. Bars have been a problem in every country. It has not been shown that the bigger factors are elsewhere, it has only been shown that it is easier to associate people when they are in your house or they sit beside you at school.

So after 3 weeks numbers sitting at 600 cases can we still blame the bars? I'm not advocating open up the bars, I'm just not seeing the facts that the bars were or are the major factor that was made out, especially after the effort they made to control their premises..

I still have no clue how this thing just continues to grow with no real established method of controlling it, my daughter is home from college, the other daughter is home from school for next 2 weeks after a kid in their year caught it, mate got it the other week and a few clients have got it very recently, none of them at the pub!

Nearly lost a good client of mine recently, he was very anti mask when I'd been with him, I wonder what his attitude will be when I see him next week

Cases a few weeks back were 1000-1200 a day. There has been a considerable drop in the 14 day rate. Numbers in hospital are still very high but aren't rising anywhere as near as fast as they were a few weeks back. The lockdown of sorts has certainly helped a bit and needs to stay in place for another while.

GetOverTheBar

Bars are the easy target as you well know. It's not fake news. It's uncomfortable truth. Of course the spread can happen in a bar, but they were closed for about 6 months first time round....yet here we are, again. It didn't just reappear when they started serving ale. It's the go to buy time tactic which doesn't address anything.

All else fails? Close the bars, hairdressers and the whatever else we reckon we can pin the blame on. It's lazy.

This is the 2nd time around, we'll be in lockdown again in January and it'll be same thing again. Bars et al to blame. There are clearly much bigger and potent causes.

I said it the first time round, makes no difference to me, I don't drink and wouldn't be in a bar but to get a feed. I've no dog in the fight.

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 06, 2020, 06:12:13 PM

Bars are not the only case of transmission of course, but 600 cases represents a reduction, does it not?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Yeah but there's been more shut than the bars. I'm sure it helped but it's hard to isolate that specifically to bars I would have thought.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 06, 2020, 08:40:32 PM
Yeah but there's been more shut than the bars. I'm sure it helped but it's hard to isolate that specifically to bars I would have thought.

They make no effort to trace back to where you got the Covid, so it is hard to isolate anything.
Which is why they need to get cases down and then thoroughly investigate each one.

imtommygunn

Yeah I agree but still think schools / universities going back seem to be the elephant in the room here.

Also they did seem to quantify, up here, how each particular industry was adding to the R number(I think it was r number anyway) in their cases to close them down. I'm not sure how they did that mind you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on November 06, 2020, 08:44:33 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 06, 2020, 08:40:32 PM

They make no effort to trace back to where you got the Covid, so it is hard to isolate anything.
Which is why they need to get cases down and then thoroughly investigate each one.

They, the bars? Both my locals did so are you just generalising?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Covid is a hoor. It gets worse every week unless there is a lockdown. Lockdown buys time to improve testing but mostly it is wasted.

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on November 06, 2020, 10:27:55 PM
Covid is a hoor. It gets worse every week unless there is a lockdown. Lockdown buys time to improve testing but mostly it is wasted.

60,000 cases/day in France, and over 800 deaths. It hasn't gone away, you know.

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on November 07, 2020, 12:49:43 AM

Just seems to be containment - open place up for a while with various levels of contols...followed by a lockdown of some description go get the R number down to 0.5ish.

Then repeat.

sid waddell

Quote from: marty34 on November 07, 2020, 07:26:19 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 07, 2020, 12:49:43 AM

Just seems to be containment - open place up for a while with various levels of contols...followed by a lockdown of some description go get the R number down to 0.5ish.

Then repeat.
Life goes on, life goes off, life goes on, life goes off...

Cunny Funt

Weekly numbers update for the ROI, good progress seen again this week.

Cases 3,500 (1,440 less than last week)
Reported deaths 33  (same as last week)

In hospital 281 (44 less than last week)
In ICU 40  ( 7 less)

armaghniac

GetOverTheBar

Great news.

Something concrete positive to move forward with now.